HD problem after Installing Vista now trying to reinstall XP RRS feed

• Question

• Help! Just purchased new system and installed fresh RC2. Everything ok apart from Radeon X1950XT. As soon as I run 3d demo, game or 3dmark it displays graphics for about 3 seconds then it returns to the desktop reporting that the display driver lost focus and stopped responding etc etc Ive even downloaded the ATI RC2 compliant catalyst drivers without luck.

So, I decided to bite the bullet and reinstall XP home HOWEVER, when I reinstalled I formatted the SATA HD as part of the installation process of XP and it began to reinstall however when it rebooted the system just hung after reading the drives attached and failed to go any further. Didnt even hear the CMOS beep. My new SATA HD seems to be unbootable! I tried connecting my old IDE HD and disconnecting the SATA HD and that would boot through (no o/s obviously but shoed it was a HD / controller problem.

I cant even get into the BIOS when it hangs. The only way is to disconnect the SATA drive, get into the BIOS and then connect it - it realises a SATA HD is connected and asks me to reboot yet hangs again! I tried disconnecting it, booting to the XP CD, reconnecting the HD and installing windows XP after reformatting etc however it hangs again as soon as the installation process reboots.

The wierd thing is, it has let me reinstall Vista by doing the above process so I just dont know what is going on. Im not doing a dual boot so all posts I have read so far dont apply.

It seems Vista messes around with the boot file and prevents XP from loading... any help much appreciated.

TIA

Thursday, November 30, 2006 9:34 PM

All replies

•  

I've got the same problem. I've got a working HP laptop with XP Pro and i upgrade it with an Vista Ultimate release. Then i got fedup with the lack of support Vista has on may tools and i've decided to go back and keep XP for a few more months. I've uses HP recover feature to reinstall the XP. Everything look fine but at the end my system declined to startup saying there is no disk or hard disk failure. I've tried again with a XP install CD but it reported that there was no hard disk in my laptop. I've even tried serveral boot disks from linux and other SO's. They all reported similar problems. Now i have a HD that doesn't boot and have no idea how to fix it.

Wednesday, December 13, 2006 11:26 AM
  • Had the same problem you need to boot with the Vista cd and use BootSect.exe command located on the CD. 

See more information here.

http://blogs.clearscreen.com/migs/archive/2006/03/07/2908.aspx

Thursday, December 14, 2006 12:32 AM