none
Domain users unable to launch Windows native apps on Win8.1 or Win10: possible GPO issue or maybe ALL APPLICATION PACKAGES? RRS feed

• Question

• I have Server 2012 R2 running a domain at home with a dozen Win7 Ult. workstations; no problems there. Installing Win 8.1 Pro or Win10 Pro onto a laptop and joining the laptop to the domain results in domain users logged onto the laptop being unable to launch most native Windows apps (e.g. Notepad), most notably IE 11. I'm wondering if this could be a GPO issue on the server?

Repro steps:

1. Server has default GPO with only 2 additions: a drive mapping to a server share, a printer mapping.
    2. Local admin on the laptop creates a local user acct, userid=Test.
    3. Log onto laptop with domain user acct, userid=Bob.
    4. Bob tries launching Notepad, gets a security popup saying file access is blocked due to Internet settings. I assume this is Internet Explorer because, on Win10, Edge launches fine but right-clicking "open in Internet Explorer" results in IE trying to launch and fails (a "ghost" window partially appears and then disappears a few moments later, no error, nothing). On both Win8.1 and Win10, there are no icons for IE anywhere, and trying to directly launch iexplore.exe fails the same way.
    5. Log onto laptop with local Test user acct, repeat app launches, everything works fine.

When I say apps fail to launch, with the exception of trying to launch IE via Edge (which results in a window trying to appear but disappears), apps don't show any indication of attempting to start up; I simply get the Security error right away.

Also, I've even tried launching apps when logged onto the laptop with a domain user acct that's a member of domain admins; same failure pattern.

I've looked at Effective Permissions on files, folders, and even registry keys; everything looks correct for domain users, exact matches of local user permissions.

The only 2 things that come to mind are GPO settings (which I doubt as my setup is very "plain vanilla" with only 2 minor additions, see above) or possibly an issue with a built-in acct called "ALL APPLICATION PACKAGES" (AAP)? If the latter, maybe there's an issue with the AAP permissions getting borked, possibly from installing 3rd party AV on the laptop?

If anyone recognizes this issue, could you please point me in the right direction so I can learn how to correct the issue?

PS I have a near-identical post in the Win10 forum as I'm not sure whether the source of my issue is on the laptop or server.

Tuesday, August 18, 2015 6:07 PM

Answers

• I already tried those ideas: no change.

However, I was able to resolve the problem in the most bizarre way (totally by luck, imho)...

I tried launching IE 11 from an admin cmd prompt*; it failed. I tried again but gave it a /? argument to see if maybe it'd cough-up some helpful cmdline args, hoping that I might see something that'd help me with altering IE's settings. Well IE didn't launch normally, but it did pause roughly 30s before shutting down this time (instead of the usual 10s). On a whim, I then tried launching IE w/o args and voila! It launched normally! I then opened Options, Security tab, and used the button to reset all zones' security back to defaults, restarted IE, and it launched normally, even from w/in Edge. Not only that, but all Windows apps (e.g. Notepad) now launch as intended.

Apparently, as bizarre as it seems, trying to launch IE from a cmd prompt with the /? arg triggered something. What? I have no idea. I can't explain what it did, but it definitely allowed me to launch IE from then on; once running, I could reset security settings and all's been well ever since.

* I cd'd to "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer" and typed "iexplore.exe /?"

• Marked as answer by LloydGM Thursday, August 20, 2015 5:52 AM
    • Edited by LloydGM Thursday, August 20, 2015 5:58 AM
    Thursday, August 20, 2015 5:52 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for your post.

Please temporary remove antivirus and then check the result.

And Restart in Safe Mode to check if it works fine.

Check the event log to see if there's any other event messages.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2798317

And also refer to the following articles.

Windows 8.1 Store Apps Won’t Open (Or Close Immediately) when logged on as a domain user. Make it stop

http://blogs.technet.com/b/ouc1too/archive/2014/07/22/windows-8-1-store-apps-won-t-open-or-close-immediately-when-logged-on-as-a-domain-user-make-it-stop.aspx

What to do if your Windows 8 Modern App fails to starthttp://blogs.technet.com/b/askperf/archive/2013/10/11/what-to-do-if-your-windows-8-modern-app-fails-to-start.aspx

Hope it is helpful.

Best Regards,

Mary Dong

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, August 20, 2015 4:59 AM
  • I already tried those ideas: no change.

However, I was able to resolve the problem in the most bizarre way (totally by luck, imho)...

I tried launching IE 11 from an admin cmd prompt*; it failed. I tried again but gave it a /? argument to see if maybe it'd cough-up some helpful cmdline args, hoping that I might see something that'd help me with altering IE's settings. Well IE didn't launch normally, but it did pause roughly 30s before shutting down this time (instead of the usual 10s). On a whim, I then tried launching IE w/o args and voila! It launched normally! I then opened Options, Security tab, and used the button to reset all zones' security back to defaults, restarted IE, and it launched normally, even from w/in Edge. Not only that, but all Windows apps (e.g. Notepad) now launch as intended.

Apparently, as bizarre as it seems, trying to launch IE from a cmd prompt with the /? arg triggered something. What? I have no idea. I can't explain what it did, but it definitely allowed me to launch IE from then on; once running, I could reset security settings and all's been well ever since.

* I cd'd to "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer" and typed "iexplore.exe /?"

• Marked as answer by LloydGM Thursday, August 20, 2015 5:52 AM
    • Edited by LloydGM Thursday, August 20, 2015 5:58 AM
    Thursday, August 20, 2015 5:52 AM