none
Adding a comment so it appears in the History section RRS feed

• Question

• I want to add comments when I make a notable change to an article when I tried this before it appeared on the main article page afterwards rather than the history section, as seen here.  I put in the comment in the Edit section in the comment box, as I saved the change.

That article has my comment on the main page though and then some other editors, their comments are in the history section.  Am I missing something or is there a different way of doing this?  Thanks!

• Edited by Cian Allner Wednesday, May 31, 2017 1:47 PM
    Wednesday, May 31, 2017 1:43 PM

Answers

• You are not missing anything. Sometimes when we save Wiki updates, not all of the required steps complete. Sometimes our update comment appears on the main Wiki page instead of on the History tab, as you experienced. This has happened to me many times. Sometimes the activity does not show in our profile, or on the main Wiki page as recent activity. Sometimes our profile statistics are not updated. When something like this happens, we generally get an error message after a delay when we save. There isn't anything we can do about it. We have reported these problems for a few years.

Richard Mueller - MVP Enterprise Mobility (Identity and Access)

Wednesday, May 31, 2017 7:13 PM

All replies

• You are not missing anything. Sometimes when we save Wiki updates, not all of the required steps complete. Sometimes our update comment appears on the main Wiki page instead of on the History tab, as you experienced. This has happened to me many times. Sometimes the activity does not show in our profile, or on the main Wiki page as recent activity. Sometimes our profile statistics are not updated. When something like this happens, we generally get an error message after a delay when we save. There isn't anything we can do about it. We have reported these problems for a few years.

Wednesday, May 31, 2017 7:13 PM
  • Thanks, Richard, that explains it.  So there is an element of unpredictability to it.  I won't get too hung up about it then, I just didn't like the idea of these meta-comments appearing on the article page itself.

• Edited by Cian Allner Wednesday, June 7, 2017 8:14 AM
    Wednesday, June 7, 2017 8:12 AM
  • I don't like it either. When I edit an article my comment explains what I modified, which is not really appropriate for the article itself.

Wednesday, June 7, 2017 11:53 AM
  • Thanks, Richard, that explains it.  So there is an element of unpredictability to it.  I won't get too hung up about it then, I just didn't like the idea of these meta-comments appearing on the article page itself.

Thanks Cian for the report (+5).
    We all don't like it :-(
    It is not the only the bug we don't like
    In time we learned to "live" with some problems (unfortunately) and fight other issue which are more critical

signature   Ronen Ariely
     [Personal Site]    [Blog]    [Facebook]    [Linkedin]

Sunday, July 16, 2017 12:48 AM