none
ConfigMgr 1602 error 0x87D00666(-2016410010) while installing Update

Question

• Dear Folks,

As i have recently upgraded to Config Mgr 1602 and it went very smooth upgrade. But after a few days found annoying issue regarding updates. PC's esp with Windows 10 are not installing updates. Every time trying to manual install it prompts this error as shown in snapshot  

As per error description, 

2016410010 2278557286 0x87D00666 Software updates cannot be install outside service window

But i have not configured any service windows on any collection. Then which service window is preventing from updates to instal. Furthermore, no error found in any logs file. Almost gone through all files.

I hope raised concern is clear. Waiting for your help and suggestion

Thank You

REGARDS DANISH DANIE

Thursday, June 23, 2016 4:06 AM

All replies

• Never seen that happening. What does the deployment Status on the monitoring node tell?

Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de

Thursday, June 23, 2016 7:07 AM
  • Dear Sir,

Does this issue happen to all deployments of updates no matter what the targeted collection is? Any information in ServiceWindowManager.log indicating the service windows?

Best regards

Frank

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Thursday, June 23, 2016 8:19 AM
  • Torsten,

In Deployment stat it shows downloaded updates.

Frank,

This happened only in Windows 10 updates deployment and one Windows 7 PC is identified. In ServiceWindowManager there is no any information related to the service window.

REGARDS DANISH DANIE

Thursday, June 23, 2016 8:52 AM
  • What are the business hours set to on the client?

Does the client have the option selected in Software Center on the Options page under Computer Maintenance that says "Automatically install or uninstall required software and restart the computer only outside of specified business hours"?

Jason | http://blog.configmgrftw.com | @jasonsandys

Thursday, June 23, 2016 12:53 PM
  • No business hours are set to on the clients.

Its being very strange for me too, neither showing any proper error in logs nor its deploying updates though deadline time is passed.

Created a new deployment and deployed again, reinstalled the sccm client but no success.

Opened the case at Microsoft Support, let see what's figured out.

REGARDS DANISH DANIE

Friday, June 24, 2016 3:51 AM
  • No business hours are set to on the clients.

That's not possible. Business hours are set in Software Center.

Is the option I noted above selected or not?

Friday, June 24, 2016 3:56 AM
  • In above snapshot i have not defined any business hours in order to check the installation of updates.

REGARDS DANISH DANIE

Friday, June 24, 2016 4:04 AM
  • What about the option under "Computer maintenance" that I asked about?

Friday, June 24, 2016 1:26 PM
  • Jason,

That's also not defined...

I have opened case at Microsoft Support let see with which solution came up.

REGARDS DANISH DANIE

Monday, June 27, 2016 3:47 AM
  • Hi Danie,

I am having the same issue as you. It just started either at the end of last week around June 23 as I have machine built before that patched and good to go.

If you get an answer from Microsoft, I would appreciate it if you could share it. I will do the same.

Thanks,

Paul

Tuesday, June 28, 2016 2:57 PM
  • Did you get an answer from Microsoft Support? We are seeing the same thing.

Kevin

Friday, July 08, 2016 5:52 PM
  • Did Microsoft provide a solution for this issue?
    Thursday, July 14, 2016 2:21 PM
  • Sorry guys for bit a late.

As i was not having any premier support of microsoft and due to this support person didnt gave me any Root Cause Analysis. But issue is resolved now

What we did we targeted single workstation and removed its membership from all collections except one and deplyed package on it and installation went successful.

Strange but true :)

Well, now will check one by one collection at a time to see which collection and client settings was the reason behind, but till now i have not any root cause analysis behind this issue.

Hopeful that you will also find this solution to the issue

Thank You

REGARDS DANISH DANIE

Friday, July 15, 2016 4:39 AM
  • I also went through each collection until I found the problem one. The one that I found had no client settings attached and was actually created not very long ago compared to other collections. It did not have any properties or settings unique to it from other collections and did not otherwise look like it would have anything "wrong" with it. I ended up deleting that collection and recreating it and the deployment that was showing the error on my devices started to install immediately without issue. I have no idea why that collection was causing the problem
    Thursday, July 28, 2016 7:00 AM
  • Hi all

I just encountered this problem with my SCCM 1606.

the problem came with the option "all devices are part of the same server group" that was enabled on some collections

Microsoft told me that this feature is broken for now but might be usable with 1610 version.

you can use the query : Gwmi –namespace root\SMS\SITE_<Code Site> -class SMS_Collection [ Where-Object {$_.UseCluster –eq $true}

to identify collections that have this option enabled then disable all.

once they are all unchecked, update computer policies and SU will automagically work again :)

Wednesday, August 03, 2016 10:15 AM
  • Thank you for posting this.  I've been beating my head against the wall the past couple of days with this same issue.  I had really hoped to be able to assign a maintenance order with 1606.

Also, for anyone using the above excellent script. the left bracket should be a pipe.

... SMS_Collection | Where-Object...

Friday, August 05, 2016 1:26 PM
  • Hi, 

CM 1606 here. I'm seeing this also - I have a simple  'All Deployments' MW set 10pm - 5am daily, which I can see in Client Center ok. Client settings are default - i.e. default Business Hours and Maintenance setting. I connected to an affected system using Client Center and selected an update to install during BHs (i.e. outside of the MW and non-BH) and it fails with 87D00666 / No service window. 

It was my understanding that if a user wants to install the updates during their normal day, they can do this from Software Center and it shouldn't matter if a MW/BH are set since it's user-initiated. Am I wrong? 

Thanks

Tuesday, September 06, 2016 3:02 PM
  • This got us going in the right direction, but the query (even after correcting the bracket issue) didn't return any results. Our PFE provided this SQL query which found 2 collections that had cluster aware patching enabled after we did the upgrade to 1602. Unchecked the box and forced a policy refresh on an affected client and then was able to install updates from Software Center.

Here is the SQL query:

select collections_g.SiteID from CEP_CollectionExtendedProperties join collections_g on CEP_CollectionExtendedProperties.collectionID=collections_g.collectionid where UseCluster = 1

Figured it might help someone else who stumbles across this one from Google.

• Proposed as answer by Will Nimmo Wednesday, September 21, 2016 6:08 PM
    Friday, September 09, 2016 5:05 PM
  • Thank you! This resolved the issue for me.

The SQL query identified one collection in my site that had the "All devices are part of the same server group" checkbox selected. After I cleared the checkbox and ran Machine Policy on the affected clients, they were able to install updates from Software Center.

After I copied and pasted the query, it contained one small typo that I needed to fix before it could run successfully. A space was missing between "on" and "CEP_CollectionExtendedProperties", perhaps due to the carriage return at that point in the text above. With that space inserted, the query succeeded.

Thanks again!

• Proposed as answer by BJCB Monday, October 03, 2016 2:13 PM
    Monday, October 03, 2016 1:57 PM
  • Thank you for this query. I was able to find the one collection that had that setting turned on. Once I de-selected it, the affected clients came to life and installed the deployed software updates. The interesting part is that applications that were deployed to these system installed without issue. Only Software Updates were affected.
    Friday, February 03, 2017 7:02 PM
  • Big thanks for this query!! :)

This "Cluster Aware" feature was accidently set in one of our 3000+ collections and "disabled" Software updates installation on 30% of our clients... so on some machines the updates did work and those which got targeted by this collection, it was "blocked".

Thursday, February 16, 2017 11:34 AM
  • I had the same issue and this solution worked for me like a charm. Thanks!!
    Friday, October 13, 2017 8:52 PM