Edge with two connectors: Unable to relay recipients in non-accepted domain RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I installed the edge 2016 role on two servers in DMZ who are acting as smart host for our Exchange 2010 infrastructure. We did not activate the EdgeSync. I created a receive and send connector limited to accepted domains where the 2010 servers are the smarthosts. No problem so far. The external mail is received on the 2010 servers.

For the outgoing mail I also have a receive and send connector which uses the external DNS servers and MX to deliver to mail. When I try to sent mail to external I get "Unable to relay recipients in non-accepted domain". Even when I disable the incoming receive and send connector. The outgoing connector is accepted for anonymous connections.

Something I noticed is that the connectors are of type hub transport. I understand that front end connectors are not supported on Egde servers.

In short I followed this procedure: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb232082%28v=exchg.150%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Any advise how to solve this?

• Edited by WiVM Monday, December 19, 2016 7:01 AM
    Monday, December 19, 2016 6:58 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Based on your description, you create a receive/send connector for outgoing mail flow and create a receive/send connector for incoming mail flow, all of these four connectors are on Edge server right? So have you created a send connector on Exchange 2010 Hub server to send outgoing messages to the Edge Transport server as descripted in that link?

Best Regards,

Lynn-Li
    TechNet Community Support

Please remember to mark the replies as answers.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, December 19, 2016 8:56 AM
  • Hi,

Yes there are send connectors on the Exchange 2010. The mail is received on the edge servers, but it answers with "#550 5.7.54 SMTP; Unable to relay recipient in non-accepted domain ##".

Thanks

Monday, December 19, 2016 8:59 AM
  • Well, that's error indicates that the messages can not be relayed through receive connector (which accepts messages from the Exchange organization) to send connector (send messages to the Internet) on edge server. Generally, it's permission issue on that receive connector.

So what's the permission group you checked on that receive connector?

Best Regards,

Lynn-Li

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, December 21, 2016 3:19 AM
  • Set-ReceiveConnector "From Internal" | Add-ADPermission -User 'NT AUTHORITY\Anonymous Logon' -ExtendedRights ms-Exch-SMTP-Accept-Any-Recipient
    Wednesday, December 21, 2016 5:52 AM
  • Hi, WiVM

Apologize for delay response.

Adding that permission is OK on receive connector. May I know the setting under Security tab on that receive connector?

Best Regards,

Lynn-Li

Wednesday, December 28, 2016 9:24 AM
  • An edge server has no gui.

But I have tried different combinations already.

Wednesday, December 28, 2016 10:00 AM
  • Hi,

I was able to get it working. But for some strange reason it only works when I specify a user account on the outgoing & receiving connector from the internal mail server to the internet. If I remove the user the error "Unable to relay recipients in non-accepted domain" is shown. Is this something specific for the edge role?

Any idea why? I prefer not to use a user.

Tuesday, January 31, 2017 10:22 AM