none
Office 2010 beta incompatible with Endnote X3. How to solve? Please help! RRS feed

• Question

• Hi! I just installed the beta version. However, I found that endnote x3 is incompatible with word 2010 beta. Once I start word, it immediately crashes. This didn't happen before I installed Endnote X3. This didn't happen for Powerpoint 2010 beta either. I looked online and didn't find any clue. Please help! Thank you!
    • Moved by Alicia CalesMicrosoft employee Wednesday, April 28, 2010 9:28 PM Forums Consolidation (From:Microsoft Office 2010 Application Compatibility)
    Saturday, November 21, 2009 11:14 PM

Answers

• Chris, please use the "send-a-smile" program that came with the Office 2010 beta to file the issue. Unfortunately, Microsoft can't do much if the issue is with Endnote's code until Thompson Reuters updates their program to support Word 2010. If they (TR) encounter any issues while working with testing/updating their product, Microsoft's technical support can help them. In addition, you should ask TR to support officially Office 2010. My apologies for the situation and thank you for testing Office 2010 beta.
    Sunday, November 22, 2009 2:18 AM
  • Hi, I am not familiar with Endnote application, you would need to find out about its compatibility with Office 2010 from the author (Thompson Reuters). Office 2010 beta will expire sometime in October 2010, so you have almost a year to test it. Beyond that date you would need to purchase a full copy.
    Friday, December 11, 2009 5:18 AM

All replies

• Chris, please use the "send-a-smile" program that came with the Office 2010 beta to file the issue. Unfortunately, Microsoft can't do much if the issue is with Endnote's code until Thompson Reuters updates their program to support Word 2010. If they (TR) encounter any issues while working with testing/updating their product, Microsoft's technical support can help them. In addition, you should ask TR to support officially Office 2010. My apologies for the situation and thank you for testing Office 2010 beta.
    Sunday, November 22, 2009 2:18 AM
  • Hi Kiselman, 

I too installed the Microsoft office 2010. I am having the same problem with Endnote 9. Are any of the endnotes compatible with Office 2010 beta? Also, I obtained Office 2010 beta from deals2buy.com where they had posted a deal of free office for download and I got a activation key & everything. Does this mean that it is a free version or is it a trial version which will ask me to buy it after a period of time? Another question :), does the references tab in office2010 Word work the same way as Endnote? 
    Thursday, December 10, 2009 9:26 PM
  • Hi, I am not familiar with Endnote application, you would need to find out about its compatibility with Office 2010 from the author (Thompson Reuters). Office 2010 beta will expire sometime in October 2010, so you have almost a year to test it. Beyond that date you would need to purchase a full copy.
    Friday, December 11, 2009 5:18 AM

FWIW, TR is claiming it's an issue with Word:
    http://forums.thomsonscientific.com/ts/board/message?board.id=en-general&message.id=2655&query.id=193255

Endnote X3 works fine with Office 2k7 and Office XP (I skipped Office 2003, so I never tried it with that.)
    Sunday, December 13, 2009 7:20 PM
  • FWIW, TR is claiming it's an issue with Word:
    http://forums.thomsonscientific.com/ts/board/message?board.id=en-general&message.id=2655&query.id=193255

Endnote X3 works fine with Office 2k7 and Office XP (I skipped Office 2003, so I never tried it with that.)

Well, why should it be a word issue if X3 works fine with O2K7 and in comparison endnote 9 and X2 work fine with O2010.
    There might be issues with the the O2010 beta but TR also must have changed something "vital" with the transistion from X2 to X3.
    Tuesday, January 5, 2010 2:07 PM
  • It is not really a matter of who is at fault.  Endnote is used extensively in the academic and the real world.  With the beta out his long one would hope this problem could have a solution outlined in one place. 

I tried 2010, but without endnote is is useless to me.

Tuesday, January 12, 2010 9:45 PM
  • FWIW, TR is claiming it's an issue with Word:

Well, why should it be a word issue if X3 works fine with O2K7 and in comparison endnote 9 and X2 work fine with O2010.
    There might be issues with the the O2010 beta but TR also must have changed something "vital" with the transistion from X2 to X3.
    HI, using this webpage, you have the following post:
    lijsh New User Posts: 4 Registered: 06-20-2009 Message 5 of 5 Viewed 427 times 12-07-2009 09:26 AM X3 can work with office 2010 beta if you copy the files such cww.dll to the START directory of office, as it will be auto-done for previous version office. You can use X3 as usual. But there are really some compatible problems. When I insert figure caption, the word 2010 always gets cracked. Kudos! Thanks!
    The post isn't very true but you just have to use the proposition found here which is quite the same copying files from endnote files and put it in word startup files: http://www.endnote.com/support/faqs/cwyw/faq1.asp I'm using Windows Seven and Endnote X.0.2 and CWYW is working !!
    Thursday, January 14, 2010 8:13 PM
  • macneacail is right.  "extensively" is not an overstatement.  You've just made your wordprocesser useless to academics everywhere.  it's time to uninstall . . . i've got a dissertation waiting.
    Thursday, February 4, 2010 7:25 AM
  • macneacail is right.  "extensively" is not an overstatement.  You've just made your wordprocesser useless to academics everywhere.  it's time to uninstall . . . i've got a dissertation waiting.
    I too am working on my dissertation and find this very frustrating! I was happy with Windows/Office XP and never ::cough:: "upgraded" ::cough:: to Vista or Office 2003/2007. After purchasing a new laptop I decided to bite the bullet and get Windows 7 (which I am not necessarily opposed to, but still not sure how I feel about it). It was nice to see Office 2010 was available as a Beta release so I could gradually decide if I wanted to subject myself to the learning curve without having to invest financial. Without EndNotes compatibility, I am going to OpenOffice; although I am willing give 2010 another try if a solution is found.
    Saturday, February 6, 2010 6:26 AM
  • Here's a direct quote from TR:

Word 2010 Compatibility:

We are awaiting the final version of Office 2010, which should be released sometime this summer. When we have access to the final code, we will begin testing EndNote for compatibility, and all information and notes will be added to this page. We do not claim compatibility with any beta version of Word, and would not recommend using EndNote in that environment.
    • Proposed as answer by k1p170 Wednesday, April 28, 2010 9:55 AM
    Monday, February 15, 2010 9:43 PM
  • I uninstalled my version of EndNoteX3 and installed the X2 version and, unlike your experience, Word is still hanging with X2.  In fact, as with X3, I can edit a Word document for awhile but when I click on something that opens a dialog box it will hang.

Anyone else found a workaround for this with X2 or X3?

Friday, April 2, 2010 8:44 PM
  • It does not make sense to write a dissertation with beta software! Use an actual release version of Office, that will keep Endnote working fine.

You can help test the beta later.

Thompson Reuters understands that their product is pretty much only used with Microsoft Word. If they want to sell anything they will automate a fix by the time Office 2010 is released.

Wednesday, April 28, 2010 9:44 AM
  • not yet, but i'm going to check this manual-file-copy workaround, as someone suggested above:

http://www.endnote.com/support/faqs/cwyw/faq1.asp

Wednesday, April 28, 2010 9:49 AM
  • The manual file copy workaround worked for me - I now have a functioning copy of Word2010 with EndNote X3.
    Thursday, May 6, 2010 1:46 PM
  • Dear klp170:

That is an interesting moral dilemna you offer in your post.  The problem is that often in research one is pushing boundaries that need to be pushed.  I wrote my dissertation on a 386 machine with WORD97 or thereabouts.  The tech people said you could not get an 80 MB document into word and for it to be successful.

You can.  I did not know about endnote in 99 or I would have used it.  I did it all manually. Not nice.

I tried Office 2010 and decided the lack of endnote was a problem and word 2010 did not offer anything over Office 2007 that was worth worrying about.

However, TR have got to expect some people like us to push boundaries and tell them when there is a problem, better now than when 1 million people try to adopt it and it does not work.

JMN

Thursday, May 6, 2010 2:43 PM
  • lijsh New User Posts: 4 Registered: 06-20-2009 Message 5 of 5 Viewed 427 times 12-07-2009 09:26 AM X3 can work with office 2010 beta if you copy the files such cww.dll to the START directory of office, as it will be auto-done for previous version office. You can use X3 as usual. But there are really some compatible problems. When I insert figure caption, the word 2010 always gets cracked. Kudos! Thanks!
    The post isn't very true but you just have to use the proposition found here which is quite the same copying files from endnote files and put it in word startup files: http://www.endnote.com/support/faqs/cwyw/faq1.asp I'm using Windows Seven and Endnote X.0.2 and CWYW is working !!

I copied everything from "%ProgramFiles%\EndNote X3\Product-Support\CWYW" folder into Word's start up folder but each time that EndNote process starts word crashes again

Sunday, May 9, 2010 5:22 PM
  • Hello all,

Downloaded and installed Office 2010 actual software (not a beta) through our university's site license program.  As stated, Word crashes immediately upon opening due to problems with EndNote.  I used the FAQ support instructions (http://www.endnote.com/support/faqs/cwyw/faq1.asp), with the following amendments...

Copied all the EndNote Cwyw.xxx files:

EndNote Cwyw.dll
    EndNote Cwyw.dot
    EndNote Cwyw.dotm
    EndNote Web Cwyw.dot
    EndNote Web Cwyw.dotm
    ManagedCode.dll

Pasted everything into Users\[NAME]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Word\STARTUP

Opened EndNote with my current library before opening Word

Opened Word with document that accesses that EndNote library...

No more crashing!  As I continue to work on this document, I'll post any updates if crashes or incompatibilities should occur.

PennyPete

Monday, May 10, 2010 3:34 PM
  • Nix that...Word 2010 ran great with the first document I opened, then crashed upon opening other documents.

Fixed by uninstalling 2010 and reinstalling 2007.  Ridiculous.

Tuesday, May 11, 2010 8:41 PM
  • i wish it worked, too.

i don't think it's fair to call that ridiculous. windows 7 and office 2010 are fundamentally different, we (users) should not assume all our programs will be forward-compatible: endnote x2/x3 is designed for specific versions of windows and word, and in my experience, it works exactly as advertised on those platforms.

some users came up with a weird workaround, that's cool, but not supported or endorsed for these versions of the program (if you make it work congratulations; if not, that's no surprise).

now, if the developers sell or distribute an update, and that update also does not work, that would be ridiculous.

Tuesday, May 11, 2010 11:32 PM
  • k1p170 makes a good point.  I stand corrected.

Looking forward to a resolution to the incompatibility between EndNote and Office 2010.  I already bought Office 2010, and I hope I don't have to buy another version of EndNote.

Wednesday, May 12, 2010 3:05 AM
  • amen to that, i can't afford paying for a new version of endnote -

if that's how it turns out, i might not even buy office 2010.

Wednesday, May 12, 2010 5:49 AM
  • I am quite upset because I just purchased X3 and it is not compatible with O2010. Very frustrating.

Friday, May 14, 2010 5:15 AM
  • How did you do it?
    Sunday, May 16, 2010 2:49 AM
  • @bjhealey

?

the instructions are in pennypete's post, above. but it hasn't worked for everyone (does not work for me). 

Sunday, May 16, 2010 3:37 AM
  • Any experience with EndNoteWeb?
    Monday, May 17, 2010 3:09 PM
  • Just like it was not compatible with a 64 bit environment for 6 year. It is not office it is vendors developing at a snail’s pace and not developing when beta versions are available.

Saturday, August 21, 2010 11:07 AM
  • They did fix it with the release of Endnote X4.  I don't know if they will patch X3 or not.
    Saturday, August 21, 2010 1:59 PM
  • According to Thompson Reuters (makers of Endnote), Endnote X4 is only compatible with the 32-bit version of MS Word. Endnote X3 and earlier versions are not compatible with Word 2010.  Fortunately I just finished writing my thesis, otherwise, this would have been a big issue for me.  Hopefully TR will come out with a version that compatible with the 64-bit version of MS Word.  You can read about Endnote's compatibility with MS Word 2010 here:

http://www.endnote.com/enword2k7.asp

Once I uninstalled Endnote X3, Word 2010 quit crashing on startup.

According to the page above, you can configure your Endnote software to notify you when a compatible version is released. Since I had to uninstall it in order to keep Word from crashing, I'm not sure how one would get said notifications.  Guess I just have to keep checking back on the TR site periodically.

Monday, September 13, 2010 10:42 PM
  • I can see TR's point on this one.  The X64 version of office is remarkably rare. I'm not even sure to where to buy it.  Endnote X4 is compatable with 32-bit office running on a x64 OS (which is going to be the norm.)  Unless you're working with Spreedsheets over 4 gigabytes office x64 is a bit overkill.  When I installed my copy of office it didn't even give me the option, it just installed the 32 bit.

Tuesday, September 14, 2010 2:50 PM
  • Picked up a new laptop last week - it came with Windows 7 and Office 2010.  I loaded Endnote X3 onto it but there was no Endnote Icon on the WORD Toolbar.  I tried opening both the EndNote and WORD windows at the same time, side by side, and successfully dragged my citations over from Endnote into my WORD document, but other than putting the citation within the text nothing else happened, like no formatting and no adding the reference to the reference list.

Yesterday I upgraded to Endnote X4 - same situation though, still no Endnote Icon on the WORD toolbar and still not working.

It's not urgent - I still have my old laptop with Windows 2000 XP, Office 2000, and Endnote X1 on it and, of course, they all work just fine.

Ho-hum, that's progress.  I'll post again when I've fixed the problem.

Thursday, November 25, 2010 1:44 AM
  • PS: Turns out I have the 64-bit version of Office 2010.  Loading in the 32-bit version tomorrow.

Fingers crossed.

Thursday, November 25, 2010 1:52 AM
  • The work around that PennyPete posted did solve the crashing problem (Thanks!).  It also put the EndNote toolbar on my 2010 (full version).  However, Word and EndNote do not link.  Everytime I try to edit, add, delete, a pop-up window (Microsoft visual basic application) said "File not found"

HELP!!!!  Word and EndNote are useless without one another!

Friday, February 11, 2011 9:12 PM