none
How to remove the power button from Ctrl+Alt+Del screen to prevent users from shutdown, restarting or logoff the terminal? Win10

Question

• Hi there,

I have configured the corresponding settings in group policy which is suppose to give the effect exactly what we want.

Enabled in group policy:

User Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Start Menu & Taskbar | "Remove and prevent Access to shutdown, restart, sleep & hibernates Commands"

However, it removes only the commands list in the middle part of the screen. At bottom right, the power button is still there where users can perform "sleep, shutdown and restart" functions whatever they like.

Please help,

Thanks,

Friday, January 29, 2016 11:07 PM

Answers

All replies

• you can use group policy for this purpose. please refer the below link. its better to move all the rds servers in to one ou and apply the group policy.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc940398.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Darshana Jayathilake

Monday, February 01, 2016 7:23 AM
  • Hi,

I have removed successfully by modifying the following registry key, I have updated the value into 0. But it is available when the user is logged off or locked, not sure if it is useful in your scenario.
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System\ shutdownwithoutlogon

If you want to remove power button from all computers in the domain, you could configure a registry item via group policy, please see details from: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc753092.aspx

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, February 01, 2016 9:43 AM
  • Saturday, February 06, 2016 3:39 PM
  • Hi Wendy,

Thank you for your reply. I have modified the suggested registry key from 1 to 0. However it doesn't work in my case. The power button with its 3 functions -- sleep/shutdown/restart at the bottom right of "ctrl+alt+del" page remains exactly the same as the image showing in my original post.

Is your window version 10 as well? It looks a bug of Win 10 system.

Are there any other ways we can try?

Thanks,

Saturday, February 06, 2016 3:44 PM
  • you can use group policy for this purpose. please refer the below link. its better to move all the rds servers in to one ou and apply the group policy.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc940398.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Darshana Jayathilake

Thanks for your reply. But before write down anything, would you read the question first please?
    Sunday, February 07, 2016 9:15 PM
  • Milos, thanks for your method. I will give it a try and let you know if it works!

• Edited by Summer Fish Sunday, February 07, 2016 9:18 PM
    Sunday, February 07, 2016 9:17 PM
  • Thanks for the question first of all as I was searching for the same for my application. 

However i have been able to identify a possible solution :--

For ctrl+Alt+Del screen change the following registry key in Windows 10. If you dont find the "NoClose" key then create one there.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\policies\Explorer]
    "NoClose"=dword:00000001

For Start menu:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\policies\Explorer]

This solution will not remove the PowerButton Icon from the Ctrl+Alt+Del but it will be of no use.

Thanks !

Tuesday, February 09, 2016 7:22 AM
  • Thanks for the question first of all as I was searching for the same for my application. 

However i have been able to identify a possible solution :--

For ctrl+Alt+Del screen change the following registry key in Windows 10. If you dont find the "NoClose" key then create one there.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\policies\Explorer]

For Start menu:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\policies\Explorer]

This solution will not remove the PowerButton Icon from the Ctrl+Alt+Del but it will be of no use.

Thanks !

Wow... You are great!!! It works! Finally there is a solution, though the button is still there, but without function anymore.  Thank you very much!

• Edited by Summer Fish Tuesday, February 16, 2016 1:03 AM
    Tuesday, February 16, 2016 1:03 AM
  • Is there an "offical" statement of Microsoft, that it's not possible to remove the Power Button ?
    Monday, November 14, 2016 9:49 AM