"A Read Disk Error Occurred Press Ctrl + Alt + Del to Restart" Help! RRS feed

• Question

• Hey guys. I don't know a  whole lot about computers but I'm hoping somebody can help me here.

Yesterday my laptop started to run very slowly. I shut it down, and then tried to restart it. Now all I get is a message that says

A Read Disk Error Occurred

Press Ctrl + Alt + Del to restart

I tried doing the system recovery thing under startup options, but I get the same message. From what I can tell it give me an option to boot from two points... I guess one is the normal one, and one is the system recovery? If anyone knows what I have to do please let me know as I need it for school!

It's running Windows Vista, it's about a year old, and it's a Compaq. I can't remember which exact model.

Thanks

Dirk

Friday, November 19, 2010 8:27 PM

Answers

• Hi Dirk,

Please refer to the following links to check if they give you any hints:

"A disk read error occurred Press Ctrl + Alt + Del to restart"

Getting rid of "A Disk Read Error Occured. Press CTRL+ALT+DEL to restart" error.

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Regards,

Sabrina

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights. |Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Sabrina Shen Friday, November 26, 2010 3:28 AM
    Tuesday, November 23, 2010 5:07 AM

All replies

• Update. I hit "Esc" on startup and ran the "Primary Hard Disk Self Test"

Quick test gets to 96% and then #10008 Replace Hard Disk 1

Friday, November 19, 2010 9:28 PM
  • Hi Dirk,

Please refer to the following links to check if they give you any hints:

"A disk read error occurred Press Ctrl + Alt + Del to restart"

Getting rid of "A Disk Read Error Occured. Press CTRL+ALT+DEL to restart" error.

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Regards,

Sabrina

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights. |Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Sabrina Shen Friday, November 26, 2010 3:28 AM
    Tuesday, November 23, 2010 5:07 AM