Windows 7 DWM memory leak? RRS feed

• Question

• Okay, so for almost 2 years I had this weird issue and now I give up.

For some weird reason I have occascional "stuttering" when I work with some application (Aero enabled) be it text editr or browser. It usually happens when application was active for some time, around 10 minutes and withing these 10 minutes I did not switch it to anything. It feels like if you have VSYNC in game enabled but it is double buffered and when your FPS dips you have this continous annoying stutter along with tearing.

The interesting part is that if I win+D (minimie all windows) to desktop and switch back stutter is gone... until it appears again. Due to this annoying reason I'm inapable if using Borderless Mode in fullscreen applications.

I don't see anything special that would hook up to DWM/windows and can cause that, my active software/drivers are pretty scarce and limited. There has to be explanation for this issue but I'm failing ot isolate the cause. Disabling Aero does not help and it won't really help since I want to use Aero for Desktop when I work in Windows.

I found a similar problem described here:

http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/345137-aero-themes-causes-severe-lag-web-browsers.html

Unfortunately, this is not an acceptable solution to me.

if anyone has any ideas I'd appreciate it

• Edited by N-kei Monday, September 26, 2016 11:56 PM
    Monday, September 26, 2016 11:35 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I found several users who had the similar issue as yours, they gave the advices may help you, please refer to the link:

Why is dwm.exe using so much memory?

http://superuser.com/questions/428794/why-is-dwm-exe-using-so-much-memory

Please Note: Since the websites are not hosted by Microsoft, the links may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Best Regards,

Tao

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, September 28, 2016 9:40 AM
  • In order to diagnose your problem we need to run Windows performance toolkit the instructions for which can be found in this wiki

If you have any questions feel free to ask

Please run the trace when you are experiencing the problem

Wanikiya and Dyami--Team Zigzag Windows IT-PRO (MS-MVP)

Wednesday, September 28, 2016 9:42 AM
  • Hi,

I found several users who had the similar issue as yours, they gave the advices may help you, please refer to the link:

Why is dwm.exe using so much memory?

http://superuser.com/questions/428794/why-is-dwm-exe-using-so-much-memory

Please Note: Since the websites are not hosted by Microsoft, the links may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Best Regards,

Tao

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thanks for the reply, Tony_Tao, but I highly doubt that is the reason. DWM.EXE has privatye size of 70 and virtual of 300 and with my 32Gb of RAM I almost never receive a notice about "Windows being slow". Also, it worth to note that this kind of slowdown can happen even whe nI only have just 2 windows open and it can happen literally straigh after I rebooted.

It is highly unlikely that the culprit here is the same as these people discuss over SUperUser but I will give it a go regardless. Thanks!

• Edited by N-kei Wednesday, September 28, 2016 1:47 PM
    Wednesday, September 28, 2016 10:12 AM
  • In order to diagnose your problem we need to run Windows performance toolkit the instructions for which can be found in this wiki

If you have any questions feel free to ask

Please run the trace when you are experiencing the problem

Wanikiya and Dyami--Team Zigzag Windows IT-PRO (MS-MVP)

I will get back with the report.
    Wednesday, September 28, 2016 10:17 AM
  • Hi,

We haven’t heard from you for a couple of days, have you solved the problem?  We are looking forward to your good news.

Best Regards,

Tao

Thursday, October 6, 2016 6:33 AM
  • Hey Tony.

No, not really. In fact, my SSD arrived and I've re-installed Windows 7 from scratch but the weirdest thing is that issue still persist.

I don't think  Performance Toolkit can catch it, I think it just never fixed Aero issue that only was addressed in WIn8/10.

Friday, October 21, 2016 12:09 PM