IIS Virtual SMTP server question - Please note I cannot access forums.iis.net from my work that is why I posted here RRS feed

• Question

• Question, when mail is sent using IIS Virtual SMTP server you have folder stucture such as:

InetPub
    --mailroot
    ------Badmail
    ------Drop
    ------Mailbox
    ------Pickup
    ------Queue
    ------Route
    ------SortTemp

Mail is moved to Pickup then sent out...   Does any of that mail remain on the server or is it deleted.  Any documentation would be great if you can provide.

Moojjoo MCP, MCTS
    MCP Virtual Business Card
    http://www.mmebs.com
    Tuesday, October 25, 2011 4:38 PM

Answers

• As far as I know it's gone.  You will only  find some information if you have IIS logging enabled or if youre using Exch, it will be in the sent items folder if sent via Outlook.

If using exch you will also get some information from the message tracking logs.

Sukh
    • Marked as answer by emma.yoyo Tuesday, November 1, 2011 1:58 AM
    Tuesday, October 25, 2011 8:11 PM

All replies

• As far as I know it's gone.  You will only  find some information if you have IIS logging enabled or if youre using Exch, it will be in the sent items folder if sent via Outlook.

If using exch you will also get some information from the message tracking logs.

Sukh
    • Marked as answer by emma.yoyo Tuesday, November 1, 2011 1:58 AM
    Tuesday, October 25, 2011 8:11 PM
  • Thank you Sukh828.   I was asking because I want to ensure we do not eat up limited harddrive space for 50,000 users sending mail through the IIS Virtual SMTP Server.   We made a big change switching from going directly to the SMTP server in central admin.  Instead we are pointing to a domain (mydomain.com --- DNS and MX Records) the WFE servers and utilizing the Virtual SMTP than smart-host relaying to the smtp mail backbone.

In other words mail goes out to mydomain.com ---  (mydomain.com is a DNS VIP that load balances all the WFE's [5] - all running IIS SMTP Virtual) then sends to the relay.

This seems to be the way to go in order to off load stress on OWSTIMER.exe...   We are watching it very carefully over the next couple of weeks.

Moojjoo MCP, MCTS
    MCP Virtual Business Card
    http://www.mmebs.com
    Tuesday, October 25, 2011 8:34 PM