none
How to configure a cluster of Access Points (radius clients) on a NPS server for a network policy?

Question

• Hi,

I have to configure a server NPS to receive connection requests from a cluster of Access Points. I know how to configure it when I have to add only one Access Point (one Radius client), but what should I insert in case of a cluster? Should I add them all as if they were all separated?

Thank you in advance!

Sunday, July 8, 2018 6:41 PM

Answers

• Hi Giant,

Thanks for your quick reply.

If there are fat APs in your wireless environment, I think you need to configure all APs to clients. If fit APs and there’re Access Controllers, we can deploy these controllers as radius clients.

I’ve done some research, didn’t find any NPS option regarding AP cluster. Due to resources limitation, we can only provide proposed solutions for it.  

Please refer to the following article, it may helpful.

http://techgenix.com/setting-up-wi-fi-authentication-windows-server-2008-part2/

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

I’ll continue to do researches for this thread, if any update, I’ll post to you as soon as possible.

Highly appreciate your effort and time. If you have any question or concern, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,

Michael

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, July 9, 2018 9:40 AM

All replies

• Hi Giant,

My old friend~ Glad to see you again!

I have done some research for NPS. Although we could use Radius Clients template and Shared Secrets template for a cluster addition. It seems simply to add the template for a specific address or DNS, surely we can use secrets template for the group as below. Actually, the radius clients AP are added all separately.

So, I think Powershell scripts is a recommendation for the implementation of a cluster of radius clients.

Here’s the powershell command Set-NPSRadiusClient for your reference, hope this helps.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/module/nps/set-npsradiusclient?view=win10-ps

PS C:\>Set-NpsRadiusClient -Name "WirelessAP" -Address "10.0.0.201" $False -SharedSecret "1234567890"

In addition, we could export and import NPS templates. Please refer to the following article,

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/networking/technologies/nps/nps-manage-templates

Highly appreciate your effort and time. If you have any question or concern, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,

Michael

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, July 9, 2018 2:36 AM
  • hey Michael! Nice to see you again helping me, as always ahahah :D

So, you confirm me that I should add all the AP in the cluster, not just the cluster as if it was on big AP, right?

Isn't there also an option on the NPS to specify that they are in a cluster and not just separated AP? 

Monday, July 9, 2018 6:34 AM
  • Hi Giant,

Thanks for your quick reply.

If there are fat APs in your wireless environment, I think you need to configure all APs to clients. If fit APs and there’re Access Controllers, we can deploy these controllers as radius clients.

I’ve done some research, didn’t find any NPS option regarding AP cluster. Due to resources limitation, we can only provide proposed solutions for it.  

Please refer to the following article, it may helpful.

http://techgenix.com/setting-up-wi-fi-authentication-windows-server-2008-part2/

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

I’ll continue to do researches for this thread, if any update, I’ll post to you as soon as possible.

Best regards,

Michael

Monday, July 9, 2018 9:40 AM
  • I honestly didn't even know that there was something called "fat Access Point" :O thank you, I learned something.

Anyway, I think the access points I use are normal :) I will add them all then, thank you again for your help!

Monday, July 9, 2018 2:32 PM
  • Hi Giant,

Here's a link discussed about Fat AP & Thin AP for your reference.

http://ciscorouterswitch.over-blog.com/2016/12/fat-thin-and-fit-aps-in-wlan-network.html

Due to the compatibility of different devices, we may need to add all radius clients.

Best regards,

Michael

Tuesday, July 10, 2018 9:07 AM