none
Remember Outlines? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I am forever expanding and collapsing my outlines back to a standard view.

Is there a way I can save this? I have saved the view, but it does not appear to remember which tasks I have expanded / collapsed.

Sunday, February 8, 2015 3:49 PM

Answers

All replies

• rapscalli,

I remember seeing you post before but I do not remember what version you are using and whether or not it is updated with the latest service pack. That information is valuable to us whenever you post.

With regard to views being saved. If you collapse or expand a particular view, that view is saved with the file and when the file is re-opened, it should open in the same state as it was closed. Perhaps you collapse or expand your view, save it and then go on and do more editing. If you are set up for automatic saves (File/Save/auto save option), the view on opening will show whatever state was last saved.

Hope this helps.

John

Sunday, February 8, 2015 5:23 PM
  • Hi John,

Apologies - I am currently using 2013, standard version.

I know that saving remembers the view, but I wish to have a way of editing info and then returning to the previous view. As far as I can tell I cant do this, but it seems like something that should be possible.

Sunday, February 8, 2015 6:42 PM
  • If you run some series of expansions and collapses, you end up with a display of a sub-set of all of the tasks and summaries.

Now, the obvious way to display any sub-set of all of the tasks and summaries is to filter for it.
    What is the criteria for the filter? Well, it is just whatever preference you arrive at that you want to recall.

If you use a spare custom flag field, you can tag all of those tasks and summaries with a "yes".

You can do this very quickly by putting a "yes" in the top cell of the column and then select and fill down.
    Hold down shift-ctrl, down arrow to select from the top cell to the bottom and the ctrl-D to fill down the top value.

Now you can get back to whatever arrangement by running the filter.

Sunday, February 8, 2015 11:03 PM
  • rapscalli,

I'm not sure I quite understand what you mean by, "editing info and then returning to the previous view". It's very likely you can't do exactly what you want but can you give me an example?

Something you might consider is to create custom views with each representing a particular format. Then whenever you want to get a specific view format, open that view.

John

Sunday, February 8, 2015 11:03 PM
  • Hi John. 

An example.

Lets say I have the outline view I want, e.g. all the tasks I want either expanded or collapsed. I wish to always be able to go back to this view. If I need to edit a task that is collapsed, I need to expand the correct selection (or more if I need to look for some relevant information) and make the edit I need. I would now wish to easily go back to the previous outline view.

The only way I can do this is by setting up a custom field, highlighting this I want to show, and use this filed to filter. It just seemed like something I should be able to do from the View options, but it appears not.

Tuesday, February 10, 2015 3:00 PM
  • rapscalli,

Sorry, the closest you can come is to either collapse the view manually or perhaps use the Outline feature to expand all, collapse all, or expand and collapse to various outline levels.

John

Tuesday, February 10, 2015 3:13 PM