Ms Project 2010 : Unable to save project to server RRS feed

• Question

• Dear,

I have a project on Project Server 2010 that was working normally. From few days, I was unable to save the project from MS Project; I am getting the following error

The following job failed to complete.

Job type: Save

Error ID: 9000(0x2328)

The project could not be saved to the server. Please retry saving the project. If the problem persists, save the project as a MPP file and contact your system administrator.

If I publish the project, the last saved version will be published without saving the updated version and no error appears. At the same time, I am able to save and publish the project from the web normally so if I try to open the project on MS Project, I will be able to see the modification done on the web, but still unable to save the project.

I checked the event Log at my computer and I found that each time that I get the error the following 2 errors are logged to the event log:

Soap error: Incorrect number of parameters supplied for SOAP request.

Soap error: Unspecified client error..

Tuesday, February 8, 2011 2:55 PM

Answers

• I saved the file as mpp and then I tried to save and publish it on a VM, I success to do so, it seems that this project is corrupted at the server. I am not sure if it is a bug on the Project Server.

Friday, February 11, 2011 2:36 PM

All replies

• BW:

Close Microsoft Project
    Navigate to %appdata%\microsoft\ms project\
    Delete all the files in the ms project directory
    Launch Project and try again.

Does this help? If so, all you are doing here is deleteing the local cache which Project recreates when you start it.

Gary Chefetz, MCITP, MCP, MVP msProjectExperts
    Project and Project ServerFAQs
    Project Server Help BLOG
    Tuesday, February 8, 2011 3:26 PM
  • Thanks for your reply, I already did that but it didn't solve the issue, also if i open the project from any computer, i get the same error
    Tuesday, February 8, 2011 4:35 PM
  • Do you have a copy that you can open? If not, the best you can do is to set you Project Client calculation to manual and see if the project will open. This sounds like corruption in the file.
    Project Server Help BLOG
    Tuesday, February 8, 2011 5:24 PM
  • Thanks Gray for your reply, i am able always to open the project, and I get the problem when I click on the save from MS Project.

I tried to change all task within the project to be manually scheduled but unfortunately, i get the same error.

Today on of our PMs reported that he also start to get this same error with another project!

Thursday, February 10, 2011 9:12 AM
  • HI There,

Are noth the client (MSP) and Server on the same Service pack and CU ? This could cause the mentioned issue. Have you checked the Application event log on the client ?

Andre

Thursday, February 10, 2011 9:18 AM
  • Hi,

there is no CU or service pack installed, i tried that from multiple computer and i get the same issue, other projects are normal till now.

i get the following at the client side:

Soap error: Incorrect number of parameters supplied for SOAP request.

Soap error: Unspecified client error..

but nothing on the server. i get the above error on the server only if i try to save the project from MS Project on the EPM server.

Thursday, February 10, 2011 9:40 AM
  • HI ,

Have you tried exporting the file as XML and importing back into MSP. That will eliminate file corruption ?

Andre

Thursday, February 10, 2011 9:56 AM
  • Hi,

i saved the file as XML, then i tried to delete all tasks from the project to save it then try to import all tasks from the xml, however, when i deleted all tasks from the project, i was unable to save the project, the same error message appears even when there is no tasks at all in the project.

Friday, February 11, 2011 7:43 AM
  • I think your best approach at this point is to rebuild the schedule by hand. Make sure that you don't put blank lines in the schedule.
    Project Server Help BLOG
    Friday, February 11, 2011 2:11 PM
  • Thanks Gray for your reply, however, to do what you have suggested, i have first to delete all available tasks within the project, then start entering the project by hand or copy paste.

In my case, i am unable to save the project even if it contains no tasks at all, what i was thinking of is to save the project after deleting all tasks so I get a blank project (include only the project team and custom fileds), then reinserting tasks from the xml file so I get my tasks back with actuals. I don’t need to delete the hole project then recreate it again. I don’t need to lose any of the information related to this project since this is an active project where resources are working on.

Friday, February 11, 2011 2:24 PM
  • If you like, you can send me a copy of the file and I'll have a look, but I don't think we're making any progress in this thread at this point. gary at chefetz dot org
    Project Server Help BLOG
    Friday, February 11, 2011 2:30 PM
  • I saved the file as mpp and then I tried to save and publish it on a VM, I success to do so, it seems that this project is corrupted at the server. I am not sure if it is a bug on the Project Server.

Friday, February 11, 2011 2:36 PM
  • Hi BW and Gary,

We are having the same issue with some of our projects (and unfortunately it's spreading:(). We found that playing with generic resources (if you have them on your schedule) sometimes helps to push the save through.

This error starts to look like a bug, as quite a few people have reported it, and I couldn't find any solutions yet.

My understanding was that if you save a schedule as mpp and then save it to the server there is a risk of losing associations and subsequently losing history. Is that correct?

Thanks,

Andrej 

Monday, February 14, 2011 5:34 AM
  • We are also having this issue with more than one project.  If there any specific information we could provide to Microsoft to help determine the root cause and resolve this?  Some project managers are getting skittish about using the tool due to problems like this.
    Naomi Flanagan
    Wednesday, February 16, 2011 7:08 PM
  • Hi Guys,

I would sugest that someone logs an official call with MS to have a look at this. Look at your partner agreements some agreements actually have a 5 call bundle included.

Andre

Thursday, February 17, 2011 5:19 AM
  • A quick update. After doing a lot of research we thought that the problem could be related to the fact the we are running a 64-bit version of MS Office and Porject Professional. We consulted with a local MPS implementation expert, and he advised that it is suggested to run a 32-bit version. So we asked 2 PMs who were mostly affected by the error to change the version. They haven't had any save related problems this week, so it is highly likely that the issue could be related to the 64-bit version of the software.

Can anybody please advise if you were getting the 9000 error while running a 32-bit version of MPP.

Wednesday, February 23, 2011 5:11 AM
  • We're using only 32 bits versions and we have multiple users and plans that get the same error as described.
    Wednesday, February 23, 2011 12:25 PM
  • hi,

i created a VM where i installed the MS Project Pro 2010 32 bit but i still get the same issue.

Friday, February 25, 2011 7:10 AM
  • My comment to everyone who is jumping in with Me-too posts. Start your own thread and explain all the details of YOUR issue. Do not assume that your problem is the same because your symptoms are similar. Otherwise, you are mostly making noise.
    Project Server Help BLOG
    Friday, February 25, 2011 5:59 PM
  • Hi All

Just some feedback from my side. We have a specific customer with the exact same issue and when I connect to their environment from my PC I also get this error. The error in general seems to be random, but one aspect we did find which increased the occurance is that it happens more often when the users have PWA and MSP open at the same time, so when just using MSP this seems to reduce the problem.

Further to this we found two projects where we got this all the time and had to save as XML and re-import. An interesting observation on the imported project was that we found task custom fields which were blank in the original schedule, but in the imported schedule they had "Not Specified" values in (which is not an option in the lookup tables we configured).

I am also busy discussing this with MS and will post back if we have anything more concrete...

Regards

Coenraad Swanepoel

• Proposed as answer by Manish Kapadia Thursday, October 18, 2012 4:11 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Manish Kapadia Thursday, October 18, 2012 4:12 PM
    Friday, March 18, 2011 7:28 AM
  • Thanks for the update Coenraad!
    Project Server Help BLOG
    Friday, March 18, 2011 11:22 AM
  • Hi All

Herewith the latest response I got from Microsoft, will post back as soon as I hear anything else...

"It seems the issue is related to some corruption on cache. The ordinary methods to "clean" the project were tried. They work for a while, but there's still some unknown scenario that allows the project to get into this state.

This issue have been reported to the product team for investigation.  The ID of the related issue reported is OfficeQFE/29919.

I’d suggest that we wait to see if there is any update on this reported issue. Thank you for your patience!"

Kind Regards

Coenraad Swanepoel

Monday, March 21, 2011 3:23 PM
  • Where can I find the results of the OfficeQFE/29919 request.  I have been experiencing all the same issues above.  I have rebuild a few projects after deleting them from the server.  Fortunately, most of my projects are not that complex (yet), but deleting and rebuilding is NOT an acceptable solution.

Cheers, Trish :)

Monday, June 6, 2011 3:13 PM
  • Hi Trish

Coenraad was a co-worker of mine, he has since left and i have taken over his calls on the forums. We have to date not had an update on the mentioned call.

Andre

Monday, June 6, 2011 3:19 PM
  • We are currently evaluating MS Project Server in our dept, for use across the entire organization.  I have to demonstrate the functionality of MS Project Server next week using our live data.  If I cannot get this working by EoB tomorrow, I will not be presenting, and questions will begin to be asked about the feasibility of using this product.  Other products are also being evaluated for CPM and PM.  Can you please get me an update on the status of this error?  I cannot even take screen shots for the demo, as I can't get the project priorities updated without opening and saving in MS Project Server.  I could use a workaround, and build my own Enterprise field, but the fact that this is currently not working, I consider a showstopper, and will not put further effort into this until the problem has been resolved.  It seems that many people are experiencing this problem.  The last time it was reported, was in March, almost two months ago.  Can you please look into this and get back to me a.s.a.p.

Thanks, Trish Collins, Senior Business Analyst, RCMP

Monday, June 6, 2011 3:26 PM
  • Trish you could still clear the local cache as a work around. But it does not seem that your issue is related to this particulazr thread. concider logging your own thread and ask for help
    Monday, June 6, 2011 3:37 PM
  • The initial thread at the top reporting error 9000(0x2328) IS the problem I have.  I cannot save a project.  I can try clearing the local cache, but as noted by someone else, this did not solve the issue.
    Monday, June 6, 2011 3:39 PM
  • Do you see a failure in the queue ?

Monday, June 6, 2011 3:43 PM
  • Clearing the cache did not solve the problem.
    Monday, June 6, 2011 3:48 PM
  • Trish i understand that it did not solve it, could you go to the Server Settings - Manage Queue and see if there are failures and if any post the details here
    Monday, June 6, 2011 3:53 PM
  • No failures, just says under "job state" "cancelled".

Here is another interesting fact. One project "API3" does not even show up in my list in Project Centre, but is still available when I open Project Pro under "retrieve the list of all projects from Project Server".  This happened last week with another project.  I finally deleted that project under "Delete Enterprise Objects", then recreated it from scratch.  It seems to be fine now.

When I tried to force checkin on the above project, and the one I had problems with before, it would NOT check them back in.  They would just sit in the queue "wating to be processed".  I have this problem with a 3rd project now -- even after closing it in MS Project Pro, clearing the cache, and force checking it in, it won't check in.  I am afraid to try others now.  I have about 45 projects in the project centre.  It's taken me three weeks to build them up and create enterprise fields and enter all the resources and data for this demo.  I am worried I will end up have to start all over again.

The fact that this all started to occur after I created a Master Project Schedule to which I added all 45 projects as subprojects, is likely the basis for these issues.  Prior to doing that, I had no problem.  I have since removed all the subprojects from the NSB Master Project Schedule and deleted the object.  I had decided to created a Master Project Schedule to allow me to do bulk edits on some of the Enterprise fields (rather than one at a time through PWA or opening individually in MS Project Pro 2010), and also to be able to view the leveling ghant for all resources, as I was unable to see a suitable view in PWA.  The errors started when I went to "Open" the subprojects by clicking on the Outline icon in the View ribbon.  This caused MS Project Pro to crash, and I have had problems ever since. 

Monday, June 6, 2011 4:17 PM
  • One more thing.  After that crash, the custom views I created all disappeared.
    Monday, June 6, 2011 5:48 PM
  • MS has released a COD for Project Professional that solved the saving problem described in this thread for us. As I understand, the COD will be part of the June CU. I'm not sure when that will be released exactly.

Tuesday, June 7, 2011 4:03 AM
  • HI,

Just keep in mind that a CU will NOT fix something thats already broken, rather preventing it from happening again

Andre

Tuesday, June 7, 2011 7:37 AM
  • What's a "COD" and a "CU" and where do I find them?
    Tuesday, June 7, 2011 4:44 PM
  • Trish,

A COD is a "patch of sorts" that has been released for a specific client that logged a call. In short , we can get it till they release the CU (Cumulative Update) which is normally n roll up of fixes that was made for SharePoint/ProjectServer 2010. Google for "CUI for Project Server 2010" you  will find a whole heap of info on them and links to the downloads.

Keep in mind MS reccomends only installing a CU if you are expperincing the problems fixed by the Said CU.

Andre

Wednesday, June 8, 2011 6:26 AM
  • MS has released a COD for Project Professional that solved the saving problem described in this thread for us. As I understand, the COD will be part of the June CU. I'm not sure when that will be released exactly.

I noticed here the COD is specific to Project Professional, where can I find that?  Further down it was reported that it was part of the CU for Project Server.  If this is a fix specific to MS Project Professional 2010, how can I get it?  I am still having the save problem I reported above.
    Wednesday, September 28, 2011 6:56 PM
  • I was able to find the Service Pack 1 for MS Project Professional dated Aug 2011.  I applied the update, rebooted, cleaned the cache and tried again.  I continue to receive that 9000(0x2328) error when I attempt to save that file, and now any subsequent files.  I am no longer sure what to do. 

I am unable to work on any projects from MS Project Server using MS Project Professional, and with over 50 projects, recreating from scratch is not an option.  I have at least 50 custom enterprise fields for each project, and several have documents uploaded to their website.  Deleting the schedule, deletes the other information, which would all have to be manually entered.  PWA is not a sufficent work-around, as it has limited functionality.

Any further thoughts on how to fix this issue.

Wednesday, September 28, 2011 8:37 PM
  • Did you also install the June CU? You need to install both SP1 and the June CU.

If that doesn't help, check if the SP1 and June CU are installed on the server. There is both a client and a server version of both the SP1 and the CU.

Regards,

Quint

Wednesday, September 28, 2011 8:44 PM
  • I have not installed the Jun CU on Project Pro.  The adminstrator was supposed to install the June CU on the server, but he is on holidays until next week and I have no way of knowing.  Will check with him.  Can you point me in the direction of the Jun CU for MS Project Pro, and the SP1 for MS Project Server?
    Wednesday, September 28, 2011 8:46 PM
  • I have applied the Jun CU and the SP1 to my MS Project Professional on my desktop, but still getting the error.  Guess I will have to wait until next week to see if the problem is resolved once the admin applies the Jun CU and SP1 to MS Project Server.

Trish :)

Wednesday, September 28, 2011 9:12 PM
  • Hi!

I applied August CU on MS Project Server 2010 and MS Project Prof. 2010 and we are still facing the same issue.

The following job failed to complete.

Job type: Save

Error ID: 9000(0x2328)

The project could not be saved to the server. Please retry saving the project. If the problem persists, save the project as a MPP file and contact your system administrator.

Our users start to loose data.

Does anyone have a real solution to this error or is it really to save the project as file and then back to the server?

Thanks!

Gerald Tauchner
    Tuesday, October 25, 2011 11:58 AM
  • I have had success with editing the project schedule via the web interface, saving and publishing to clear up whatever is causing this error when editing with Project Pro.   In fact, I have noticed the the schedule in Project Web Access is different in places than when I look at it in Project Pro.  Leading me to believe that even though I have cleared the cache (even deleted the files in the directory referenced above) that Project Pro somehow gets different data from the server than PWA gets when editing the schedule. 

Strange ,can't explain it but this technique has gotten me through this problem several times.  Might now work for everyone.

Walter

Friday, October 12, 2012 5:15 PM