none
Does copying of Data folder from one FAST server to other FAST server works? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all,

I have installed Fast Search Server 2010 for Sharepoint in two systems ( Say PC1 and PC2). I wish to make their data in sync. So if i copy all contents of ~FASTSearch/data/ from PC1 and pate it in PC2. Will it work??? or is there any other mechanism to keep two FAST Search Servers in sync?

Monday, December 31, 2012 9:29 AM

All replies

• Hello,

You need not copy the entire data folder to sync the FAST servers. Please follow the ateps mentioned in the below article.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg482028.aspx 

Regards, Pradeep

Thursday, January 3, 2013 4:55 AM
  • Thanks for your reply P PradeepKumar. This is pretty much late but the link given by you show sync process between primary indexer and backup indexer. My issue is that I have installed one copy of FS4SP in PC1 and other copy in PC2. They dont have any connection apart from their content source.

I wish to sync their indexed contents. How could I do that?

Also in the above link, point no 5(3) says to "Swap the copied folders (<FASTSearchFolder>\data_fixml_new and <FASTSearchFolder>\ftStorage_new) with the old folders (<FASTSearchFolder>\data\data_fixml and <FASTSearchFolder>\data\ftStorage) on the destination server." By SWAP what does it meant?

Thanks

Monday, January 28, 2013 8:25 AM
  • The article illustrates the process of manually syncing master indexer with backup indexer.
    The swap implies that you will have to swap the names in destination for example; when you copy FASTSearchFolder>\data_fixml_new to destination, the name will need to change to FASTSearchFolder>\data_fixml , but the old FASTSearchFolder>\data_fixml exist so you will have to swap them. In other words, you will need to rename the original FASTSearchFolder>\data_fixml , so that the "new" FASTSearchFolder>\data_fixml_new will be "swapped" renamed to FASTSearchFolder>\data_fixml.

As for ensuring data is the same, in old FAST legacy systems, we used to copy data_fixml and generate index off that with resetindex. Not sure if this is supported in FS14.

Tuesday, January 29, 2013 9:10 PM
  • Thanks for description Patrick. Actually My issue is, I have installed two different copies of FS4SP in two different servers. Their content sources are same. Now due to some glitches, Number of indexed items in one server is greater than other server. Now is it possible to make these servers in sync. My thought is to first copy data_fixml from one server to other, do "nctrl stop",  Delete Data_Index Folder and then "nctrl start". I got this from http://fs4sp.blogspot.in/2011/09/rebuilding-fast-search-server-2010.html. Any suggestion on this? Please reply FAST.

Rajarshi Chakrabarty - Search Zealous

Saturday, February 9, 2013 6:27 PM