Joining a Domain RRS feed

• Question

• Does anyone know if Windows 10 Home, once released, is going to be able to join a domain? or is it going to be the same as 8.1 home?

Thanks

Monday, June 1, 2015 11:10 AM

Answers

• Ddgrant93,

The below is the information published on Windows blog regarding Windows 10 editions:

Introducing Windows 10 Editions

Words about Windows 10 home:

Windows 10 Home is the consumer-focused desktop edition. It offers a familiar and personal experience for PCs, tablets and 2-in-1s. Windows 10 Home will help people do great things, both big and small. With it, they will be more productive and have more fun thanks to a long list of new innovations: Cortana, the world’s most personal digital assistant; the new Microsoft Edge web browser; Continuum tablet mode for touch-capable devices; Windows Hello face-recognition, iris and fingerprint login; and right out of the box, a broad range of universal Windows apps like Photos, Maps, Mail, Calendar, Music and Video*.

We are also bringing the Xbox gaming experience to Windows 10, giving games and gamers access to the Xbox Live gaming community, enabling the capture and share of gameplay and giving Xbox One owners the ability to play their Xbox One games from any Windows 10 PC in their home.

If you mean the domain that we used to join, then the answer here is no. And for Azure AD, it should be available to join. And it is not going to be the same with Windows 8.1 home edition, as described above.

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, June 2, 2015 3:29 AM

All replies

• In Windows 10, End-users will be able to join Azure AD when they choose "This device belongs to my organization" in the initial startup experience which will register the device directly in the organization's directory. With Azure AD Join, Windows authenticates directly to Azure AD, no Domain Controller needed unless you want to use it.

Thanks

Monday, June 1, 2015 11:56 AM
  • Arijit,

No offense, but this is a problem.  I'm an IT person, and I couldn't tell that when I joined the domain on the first boot of the Windows 10 install, that this wasn't a "true" domain join, but rather a Azure cloud join. 

In fact, when I did this, under Control Panel - System, it doesn't even show that I was joined to the domain!  The only place that notified me was under the Settings app.  Fixing it wasn't necessarily difficult, but it's very easy to be confused about the whole process.  There needs to be some clearer signs that the Azure AD join is not the same thing as a domain join that we're used to, or at least remove that ability from the first boot process, but leave it via the Settings app, especially because things like trying to map network drives and having GPOs apply don't work when you use the cloud join.   

• Edited by Q-Tech Monday, June 1, 2015 1:51 PM Added info
    Monday, June 1, 2015 1:50 PM
  • Ddgrant93,

The below is the information published on Windows blog regarding Windows 10 editions:

Introducing Windows 10 Editions

Words about Windows 10 home:

Windows 10 Home is the consumer-focused desktop edition. It offers a familiar and personal experience for PCs, tablets and 2-in-1s. Windows 10 Home will help people do great things, both big and small. With it, they will be more productive and have more fun thanks to a long list of new innovations: Cortana, the world’s most personal digital assistant; the new Microsoft Edge web browser; Continuum tablet mode for touch-capable devices; Windows Hello face-recognition, iris and fingerprint login; and right out of the box, a broad range of universal Windows apps like Photos, Maps, Mail, Calendar, Music and Video*.

We are also bringing the Xbox gaming experience to Windows 10, giving games and gamers access to the Xbox Live gaming community, enabling the capture and share of gameplay and giving Xbox One owners the ability to play their Xbox One games from any Windows 10 PC in their home.

If you mean the domain that we used to join, then the answer here is no. And for Azure AD, it should be available to join. And it is not going to be the same with Windows 8.1 home edition, as described above.

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, June 2, 2015 3:29 AM
  • Tuesday, June 2, 2015 4:07 AM
  • Hi Q-Tech,

I said if the end user choose  "This device belongs to my organization" in the initial startup experience then, Azure AD Join registers devices in the directory like traditional Domain Join so that they are visible and can be managed by an organization.

Please have a look at the below article.
    http://blogs.technet.com/b/ad/archive/2015/05/13/azure-active-directory-and-windows-10-making-the-enterprise-cloud-a-reality.aspx

Thanks

Tuesday, June 2, 2015 6:52 AM
  • Arijit,

The point I'm trying to make is that Azure AD join and the normal domain join are NOT the same thing, but the OOBE experience makes it seem like they are.  In fact, thanks to your link, you can clearly see that the process tells you you'll be joining your organization, but nowhere does it mention how.  Nowhere does it state it's joining via this Azure AD join.

There's no real means of telling the difference between the two, and the step by step screenshots show you that the process doesn't mention anything about what exactly will be happening.  All it says is you're allowing your machine to be managed by the organization.  To a normal user, I can tell you that they will think this is joining the domain (the old way), in that all their mapped drives will show up and it will be like how the IT dept. does it -- when, in fact, it won't be. 

Tuesday, June 2, 2015 7:07 PM
  • It's extremely unlikely that Home will support domain-join, and I'm a little surprised that it supports Azure AD join (though MS is in such a relentless push to the cloud, maybe I'm not at all surprised).

I do agree with what you're saying on the clarity, though is a typical user even going to have heard about varying types of domain joins in the first place?  Maybe they're banking on a corp typically using only one or the other, so the labeling doesn't really matter (except when a user somehow has a copy of Home and expects to login to an on-site domain)?  And in the case where they have both, they're probably synced to be the same credentials, which is similar to only having one.

• Edited by rseiler Tuesday, June 2, 2015 9:11 PM
    Tuesday, June 2, 2015 9:09 PM