none
FIM & MIM co-existence RRS feed

• Question

• Good afternoon,

I am looking at upgrading our Forefront Identity Manager 2010 R2 SP1 install to MIM 2016 SP1.  The FIM Sync server is currently running on Windows 2008 R2 SP1, so I saw this as a good opportunity to install on the latest OS (Windows Server 2016) to avoid having to upgrade this again soon (once 2008 R2 goes end-of-life).

As opposed to doing an in-place upgrade, is it possible to have a new MIM environment co-existing with our current FIM environment.  I had this idea when I saw that it was possible to run 2 Azure AD Connect servers in parallel with the second server set to "staging" mode for disaster recovery.

This way, the upgrade could easily be rolled back in the event of any issues.  After all, the FIM metaverse does not contain any information that cannot be synchronised from other data sources, right?   Once the MIM environment is installed, we could the n run MIM sync previews to ensure that behaviour is correct etc and gain confidence in the platform before switching over to it. 

So the question I'm asking, is a) is this possible and b) is this a supported configuration?  I cannot find any documentation online about this. Any help or advice regarding this would be appreciated.

Kind Regards

Duncan

Monday, September 4, 2017 1:53 PM

All replies

• Duncan-

Is this just FIM Sync or is the FIM Service/Portal in play too?

Thanks,
    Brian

Consulting | Blog | AD Book

Monday, September 4, 2017 3:27 PM
  • Both, FIM Sync and Service/Portal.

Cheers

Duncan

Tuesday, September 5, 2017 9:40 AM
  • Duncan-

Assuming you have users accessing the FIM Portal to make changes there, do approvals, etc. you'll lose that data if you have MIM running side-by-side while FIM is still up. Likewise if you have the FIM Service doing one-time actions in workflow (e.g. sending emails), you'll end up running those actions in duplicate.

So, while yes you can do what you're proposing, chances are you're not going to have the desired outcome.

Thanks,
    Brian

Consulting | Blog | AD Book

Tuesday, September 5, 2017 2:37 PM