locked
MDT 2013 Update 1 - ADK10 - Unable to mount the WIM error RRS feed

  • Question

  • It seems like I'm unable to create images with the following:

    Windows Server 2012 R2

    MDT 2013 Update 1 64-bit

    ADK 10

    I saved the output when I tried to update my deployment share.  FYI, this is a brand new install.

    === Making sure the deployment share has the latest x86 tools ===

    === Processing LiteTouchPE (x86) boot image ===

    Building requested boot image profile.
    Determining if any changes have been made in the boot image configuration.
    No existing boot image profile found for platform x86 so a new image will be created.
    Calculating hashes for requested content.
    Changes have been made, boot image will be updated.
    Windows PE WIM C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Assessment and Deployment Kit\Windows Preinstallation Environment\x86\en-us\winpe.wim will be used.
    Unable to mount the WIM, so the update process cannot continue.

    === Completed processing platform x86 ===

    === Making sure the deployment share has the latest x64 tools ===

    === Processing LiteTouchPE (x64) boot image ===

    Building requested boot image profile.
    Determining if any changes have been made in the boot image configuration.
    No existing boot image profile found for platform x64 so a new image will be created.
    Calculating hashes for requested content.
    Changes have been made, boot image will be updated.
    Windows PE WIM C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Assessment and Deployment Kit\Windows Preinstallation Environment\amd64\en-us\winpe.wim will be used.
    Unable to mount the WIM, so the update process cannot continue.

    === Completed processing platform x64 ===


    === Processing complete ===

    Let me know if you folks know how to fix this.  Otherwise, I'll have to use MDT2013 with ADK8 instead.

    I've tried the following suggestions from these blogs:

    - http://blogs.technet.com/b/msdeployment/archive/2015/08/25/mdt-2013-update-1-release-notes-and-known-issues.aspx#pi47623=3

    - https://graemebray.wordpress.com/2014/03/26/unable-to-mount-the-wimdism-was-unable-to-set-the-system-root/

    - http://www.fastracktechnology.com.au/2011/06/24/mdt-2010-unable-to-update-deployment-share/

    Sunday, September 6, 2015 8:01 PM

Answers

  • Interesting. Seems like the problem was that I installed ADK 10 on the C: volume, instead of the D: volume where I thought I originally installed it. The error log points to the location...so that was the clue...lol.

    Either way, I did the following to resolve this problem:

    - Uninstalled ADK 10 and WPT from Program and Features

    - Reinstalled ADK 10 on the D volume (or the volume where MDT 2013 Update 1 is installed on)

    - Reopened Deployment Workbench and updated the deployment share again

    Monday, September 7, 2015 7:56 PM

All replies

  • Interesting. Seems like the problem was that I installed ADK 10 on the C: volume, instead of the D: volume where I thought I originally installed it. The error log points to the location...so that was the clue...lol.

    Either way, I did the following to resolve this problem:

    - Uninstalled ADK 10 and WPT from Program and Features

    - Reinstalled ADK 10 on the D volume (or the volume where MDT 2013 Update 1 is installed on)

    - Reopened Deployment Workbench and updated the deployment share again

    Monday, September 7, 2015 7:56 PM
  • I should also point out that I had an annoying pop-up saying "Dism Host Servicing Process has stopped working..." whenever I updated the deployment share...

    I fixed it by doing the following: 

    - Open Deployment Workbench

    - Right-click Deployment Share > Select Properties

    - Click Windows PE tab (you'll need to do this for both platforms: x86 and x64)

    - Click Features tab

    - Deselect "Microsoft Data Access Components (MDAC/ADO) support

    Then you restart your Windows server. 

    Monday, September 7, 2015 9:51 PM
  • Nice work!
    Friday, November 6, 2015 4:25 PM
  • worked for me:) thanks
    Thursday, January 14, 2016 12:57 PM
  • My issue was a flaw within Windows ADK 10. Notice, when you mount the winpe.wim file and then try to unmount it, the directory "[moundir]\Windows\System32\LogFiles\WMI\RtBackup" is never fully unmounted. This prevents any future images from being mounted in the directory as the directory is not empty.

    The solution was to go to the original winpe.wim in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Assessment and Deployment Kit\Windows Preinstallation Environment" (this is the default, yours might be located elsewhere),

    1. mount the winpe.wim
    2. navigate to the RTBACKUP folder
    3. take ownership
    4. change the security permissions so you have full control
    5. and then unmount and COMMIT the wim.

    You will have to do this twice, with both AMD64 and x86 WIMs.

    Thursday, March 17, 2016 1:21 PM