Where is "Protected Storage Service"?

Question

• Installed Windows 8 (Release Preview) (64 bit) on a ThinkPad T61p (6457-Y74) with 8 GB of RAM over the weekend (7/14-15/12).

Been trying to install and run "Acronis Backup & Recovery 11", however I am getting an error "the Acronis Managed Machine Service fails to start with "Error 1075" because I believe that Protected Storage Service” as a dependency service is missing from Windows 8.

What is the alternatives?

Thom Carr

Wednesday, July 25, 2012 11:36 PM

Answers

• The replacement to be used by app developers is a more secure API like the Windows Data Protection API. IE, EFS, CredMan, EFS all use that.
    • Marked as answer by Thom Carr Tuesday, August 07, 2012 12:44 PM
    Monday, July 30, 2012 6:44 PM
  • Protected Storage service was deprecated and made read-only in Vista and removed in Windows 8. It was not very secure.

Thursday, July 26, 2012 2:47 AM
  • http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb432405(v=vs.85).aspx

Protected Storage (Pstore) is available for use in Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP. It is only available for read-only operations in Windows Server 2008 and Windows Vista, but may be unavailable in subsequent versions. Pstore uses an older implementation of data protection.

Thursday, July 26, 2012 9:10 AM
  • On another note here, Acronis B&R 11 isn’t ready for Windows 8, go to the
    Acronis site Forums, they will post information when the upgrade for Acronis
    B&R 11 is ready. They don’t even have a beta to test this yet.

Don

Tuesday, July 31, 2012 12:23 AM
  • I too just encountered this issue.  Since Microsoft has deprecated this service, and Acronis has set the service to depend on it, I just removed the dependency from the service and Voila, the MMS service starts fine now. Here's how to do this:

I make no claim that this won't botch your system.  But it starts the service anyway.  Any damage to data or your machine is at your own risk.  But you knew that already or you wouldn't be running Windows 8 in preview right?

To do this in Windows:

Hover over the lower right corner of your screen.  Click "Search"  In the app box type: regedit and press enter

Regedit loads.

Browse to HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\MMS

Double Click the DependOnService key and remove just the entry for "Protected Storage".

Exit Regedit and reboot your computer.

Now you can start the service if it didn't load at boot time.

Thanks for sharing this information, it works quite well with ABR 11.5 on Windows 8 RTM.

Best regards, FlyingHorse

• Marked as answer by Thom Carr Friday, February 22, 2013 8:48 AM
    Friday, February 22, 2013 3:49 AM

All replies

• Protected Storage service was deprecated and made read-only in Vista and removed in Windows 8. It was not very secure.

Thursday, July 26, 2012 2:47 AM
  • http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb432405(v=vs.85).aspx

Protected Storage (Pstore) is available for use in Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP. It is only available for read-only operations in Windows Server 2008 and Windows Vista, but may be unavailable in subsequent versions. Pstore uses an older implementation of data protection.

Thursday, July 26, 2012 9:10 AM
  • Thanks for both replies.

So what service should be used in place of "Protected Storage Service"?

Thom Carr

Monday, July 30, 2012 3:31 PM
  • The replacement to be used by app developers is a more secure API like the Windows Data Protection API. IE, EFS, CredMan, EFS all use that.
    • Marked as answer by Thom Carr Tuesday, August 07, 2012 12:44 PM
    Monday, July 30, 2012 6:44 PM
  • On another note here, Acronis B&R 11 isn’t ready for Windows 8, go to the
    Acronis site Forums, they will post information when the upgrade for Acronis
    B&R 11 is ready. They don’t even have a beta to test this yet.

Don

Tuesday, July 31, 2012 12:23 AM
  • Thanks I will past it on.

Thom Carr

Tuesday, August 07, 2012 12:45 PM
  • Thanks, I already have an open ticket with Acronis.

Thom Carr

Tuesday, August 07, 2012 12:47 PM
  • I too just encountered this issue.  Since Microsoft has deprecated this service, and Acronis has set the service to depend on it, I just removed the dependency from the service and Voila, the MMS service starts fine now. Here's how to do this:

I make no claim that this won't botch your system.  But it starts the service anyway.  Any damage to data or your machine is at your own risk.  But you knew that already or you wouldn't be running Windows 8 in preview right?

To do this in Windows:

Hover over the lower right corner of your screen.  Click "Search"  In the app box type: regedit and press enter

Regedit loads.

Double Click the DependOnService key and remove just the entry for "Protected Storage".

• Proposed as answer by fastBONE Thursday, January 10, 2013 2:01 PM
    Saturday, October 13, 2012 3:29 PM

To do this in Windows:

Regedit loads.

Thanks for sharing this information, it works quite well with ABR 11.5 on Windows 8 RTM.

Best regards, FlyingHorse

• Marked as answer by Thom Carr Friday, February 22, 2013 8:48 AM
    Friday, February 22, 2013 3:49 AM
  • Thanks, still waiting for the "Acronis Backup & Recovery 11.5" upgrade; so I migrated to "True Image 2013" which does a much as I wanted to do.

Thom Carr

Friday, February 22, 2013 8:47 AM
  • I also had issues with this installation that I still cannot manage to figure out.  AMS (Server Service) the one that allows you to remotely connect to other machines on the network and manage the backup agents, licenses and what not. After removing that dependency and rebooting MMS service, and StorageNode,  AcronisWebServer was up but Acronis Management Server Service is hung at "Starting" Or "Start Pending" and it does not allow my to restart or anything. Sometimes after a reboot it will say "Running" but it will not actually be running. It cannot be restarted. Anyone know why this remote backup management service wouldn't work on Windows 8 but it does on Windows 7?
    Wednesday, February 27, 2013 10:19 PM