SCSM Deleted objects RRS feed

• Question

• Dear All,

I am in the process of cleaning up the SCSM, i have a few AD users that have been deleted on AD

As we know from the below blog that deleting from AD will not be deleted from SM CMDB and need to be cleanup

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/servicemanager/2011/04/29/what-happens-to-a-user-in-the-cmdb-when-it-is-deleted-in-active-directory-ad/

In the blog Travis mentions below after deleting the object from deleted objects under SM

" At that point, the user will no longer show up in the object picker dialog or in the user picker control.  Any previously existing relationships from other objects to the now deleted user will also be removed from the database.  The history of all property value changes and relationship adds/removes will also be deleted from the CMDB" 

Can someone help me in understanding the above statement?

I want to know is if i delete the user will all his previous records and data would be deleted for ever? How would i retrieve his information if needed in future?

Thanks,

chalava

• Edited by chlava Tuesday, August 8, 2017 8:28 AM
    Tuesday, August 8, 2017 8:27 AM

Answers

• The statement from Travis means:

If you remove the Deleted Item, in your example the User, from SCSM Deleted Items the following information will be deleted:

The User Object itself.

All relationships related to the User of any other SCSM object. For example "User is Affected User of Incidents", "User is Primary Owner of a Configuration Item (for instance Primary Owner of a Windows Computer)", "User is Assigned To Incident XYZ". And many more.

Also all History information of the User Object and his relationships are deleted -> "User was added on 01.01.2012", "User was modified on 01.05.2016", "User was added as Primary Owner to CI XYZ on 15.06.2015", "User was added as Assigned To User of Incident XYZ on 18.09.2015". And many more.

Yes. If you remove an object in SCSM from Deleted Items all the information are deleted as well and lost. Forever.

If you maybe need this kind of information in the future the solution is easy: Don't remove the object from Deleted Items.

Hope this helps.

Andreas Baumgarten | H&D International Group

Tuesday, August 8, 2017 1:48 PM

All replies

• The statement from Travis means:

If you remove the Deleted Item, in your example the User, from SCSM Deleted Items the following information will be deleted:

The User Object itself.

All relationships related to the User of any other SCSM object. For example "User is Affected User of Incidents", "User is Primary Owner of a Configuration Item (for instance Primary Owner of a Windows Computer)", "User is Assigned To Incident XYZ". And many more.

Also all History information of the User Object and his relationships are deleted -> "User was added on 01.01.2012", "User was modified on 01.05.2016", "User was added as Primary Owner to CI XYZ on 15.06.2015", "User was added as Assigned To User of Incident XYZ on 18.09.2015". And many more.

Yes. If you remove an object in SCSM from Deleted Items all the information are deleted as well and lost. Forever.

If you maybe need this kind of information in the future the solution is easy: Don't remove the object from Deleted Items.

Hope this helps.

Andreas Baumgarten | H&D International Group

Tuesday, August 8, 2017 1:48 PM
  • Hi Andreas,

Thanks for your valuable info

Thanks

chlava

Thursday, August 10, 2017 2:46 AM