Bitlocker - Access Denied Error RRS feed

• Question

• I have a small home server/pc running windows 10 Pro 64 Bit.  Recently added a tmp module so I could setup bitlocker.

I have two drives both are 250gb SSD's running in ahci mode on sata connections.

• C is the main system drive and apps
    • D is the data drive - personal files/media/ect...  Onedrive/dropbox mainly

The C drive is setup with bitlocker now but when I try to turn on bitlocker on my data drive I get "access is denied".   Have binged and googled but can't find a cause or solution. as to why I get access denied when trying to setup bitlocker,

I can access the drive all the files on it just fine.  I am the only user the pc/server and it stays logged in as me 24/7.

Looking for solutions or suggestions.

Thanks

Robert Ward

Thursday, January 28, 2016 4:30 PM

Answers

• Hi.

How do you try? What protector are you using, did you try auto-unlock? Did you try the command line? The command line might reveal much more.

Use these commands for status queries:

manage-bde -status c:

manage-bde -protectors -get c:

manage-bde -status d:

To turn it on for d:, use

manage-bde -on d: -rp -used -pw

and to turn on auto-unlock, afterwards, use

manage-bde -autounlock -enable d:

• Proposed as answer by Michael_LS Friday, January 29, 2016 2:07 AM
    • Marked as answer by DotNetRob.com Friday, January 29, 2016 4:19 AM
    Thursday, January 28, 2016 8:24 PM
  • And SAVE YOUR RECOVERYKEY :) that just appeared in the command line after you launched that command.
    • Marked as answer by Michael_LS Friday, January 29, 2016 6:17 AM
    Thursday, January 28, 2016 9:27 PM

All replies

• what type of file extension is bitlocker? Also if you know the file extension try googling the answer then because sometimes simplifying a search helps.

Thursday, January 28, 2016 4:48 PM
  • Hi.

How do you try? What protector are you using, did you try auto-unlock? Did you try the command line? The command line might reveal much more.

Use these commands for status queries:

manage-bde -status c:

manage-bde -protectors -get c:

manage-bde -status d:

To turn it on for d:, use

manage-bde -on d: -rp -used -pw

and to turn on auto-unlock, afterwards, use

manage-bde -autounlock -enable d:

• Proposed as answer by Michael_LS Friday, January 29, 2016 2:07 AM
    • Marked as answer by DotNetRob.com Friday, January 29, 2016 4:19 AM
    Thursday, January 28, 2016 8:24 PM
  • Have only tried via the right click context menu on the drive and thru the Bitlocker Drive Encryption control panel.  Haven't tried the command line commands until now.

The " manage-bde -on d: -rp -used -pw" command appears to be working, drive is currently being encrypted. Will enable auto unlock when it is done.  Will take awhile since drive has alot of data.  Will post my results when it finishes.

Robert Ward

Thursday, January 28, 2016 8:40 PM
  • And SAVE YOUR RECOVERYKEY :) that just appeared in the command line after you launched that command.
    • Marked as answer by Michael_LS Friday, January 29, 2016 6:17 AM
    Thursday, January 28, 2016 9:27 PM
  • yep saved the recovery key, setup all done and unlock set.  All seems to work.  Thanks for the help.

Robert Ward

Friday, January 29, 2016 4:23 AM