none
DNS query fail in First attempt RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am facing problem with DNS in my network. When I do nslookup for any record whether internal or external, find "DNS request time out" in first attempt and then I find correct result in second attempt.

> hotmail.com
    Server:  contoso.com
    Address:  146.119.16.8

DNS request timed out.
        timeout was 2 seconds.
    DNS request timed out.
        timeout was 2 seconds.
    Non-authoritative answer:
    Name:    hotmail.com
    Address:  204.79.197.212

> hotmail.com
    Server:  contoso.com
    Address:  146.119.16.8

Non-authoritative answer:
    Name:    hotmail.com
    Address:  204.79.197.212

>

When I change Primary DNS IP in client machine with external one DNS or ISP DNS (configured in DNS forwarder), every thing works fine.

Monday, January 29, 2018 1:21 PM

Answers

• Hi ,

Would you please post the result of running ipconfig/all at the command prompt on the computer to let us know the machine’s configuration?

Turn on exhaustive debugging mode of NSlookup, this will display detailed information of name resolving process.
    Open Command Prompt on client ,type nslookup and type set d2 .We could find out the problem through the process .
    >NSlookup
    >set d2
    >[name which you want to resolve]

Also ,check if it works fine when you add a dot at the end of FQDN.

Please note:Any private information you share in a public forum might be seen or collected by other persons, please delete/black the private information before you post.

Best Regards,

Candy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Bhavesh Khare Tuesday, January 30, 2018 8:08 AM
    Tuesday, January 30, 2018 2:56 AM

All replies

• Hi ,

Would you please post the result of running ipconfig/all at the command prompt on the computer to let us know the machine’s configuration?

Turn on exhaustive debugging mode of NSlookup, this will display detailed information of name resolving process.
    Open Command Prompt on client ,type nslookup and type set d2 .We could find out the problem through the process .
    >NSlookup
    >set d2
    >[name which you want to resolve]

Also ,check if it works fine when you add a dot at the end of FQDN.

Please note:Any private information you share in a public forum might be seen or collected by other persons, please delete/black the private information before you post.

Best Regards,

Candy

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Bhavesh Khare Tuesday, January 30, 2018 8:08 AM
    Tuesday, January 30, 2018 2:56 AM
  • Hi Candy,

Thank you.. :-)

It works fine after adding a dot at the end of FQDN. But I am not able to understand the exact cause of this.

Tuesday, January 30, 2018 6:50 AM
  • Hi ,

Because a hostname end with a dot is considered as a FQDN. Then nslookup won't add DNS suffix to the FQDN.

That is to say when you put a period on the end of it, it will not use the search suffixes.

You might run the command of ipconfig /all to check the DNS suffix list.

For your reference:

Nslookup suffixing behavior

https://blogs.msmvps.com/acefekay/2013/02/17/nslookup-suffixing-behavior/

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Best Regards,

Candy

Tuesday, January 30, 2018 7:03 AM
  • Thank you again Candy :-)

I am able to find the exact problem in my environment with your help.

Tuesday, January 30, 2018 8:10 AM
  • Hi ,

I am pleased to know that the information is helpful to you. If there is anything else we can do for you, please feel free to post in the forum.

Best Regards,

Candy

Tuesday, January 30, 2018 8:13 AM