weirdness with client check RRS feed

• Question

• Looking at status of client check.  When I choose collection "all desktop and server clients" it shows as 17 systems with no client installed out of over 5700 machines.  But when I choose the "all windows workstations" collection, it shows 58 systems with no client installed.  Now I don't know if the first collection is cancelling out old clients with new clients (e.g. machine abc has been rebuilt with same name, and old machine with that name still hasn't aged out the original client so there are two machines named abc, one is no longer a client and one is and it cancels both of them out, I don't think it is smart enough to recognize that as there are two guids so it sees them as two separate objects).

I am just trying to determine why there are more in the second collection.  I thought maybe it wasn't updating as quickly as the first collection, but they are both updating every day within a few hours of each other.  Therefore they should only be one or two off at best, not 41.  I was pretty pleased that there were very few machines without the client until I looked at other collections and saw this much of a discrepancy.  This really skews the data.  Does anyone have any idea as to why this is occurring?  Is there soemthing I am missing here?  I realize that some of the stuff takes a while to update, but this is just too much of a discrepancy.  Thank you.

Tuesday, September 9, 2014 10:43 PM

Answers

• OK, well I can't look at the properties of the "all desktop server clients", it's a default collection that even with my super rights it won't let me look at the query, but the collection is fairly self explanatory based on the name.  I did notice that what it is basing the "devices with no configuration manager installed" criteria on is actually the client activity.  If there is nothing in the client activity column it dumps it into the "devices without config mgr" category, so that is indeed misleading.  I just created a collection of systems without the client installed and will refer to that.  Thanks, all.  : )
    Wednesday, September 10, 2014 3:27 PM

All replies

• You need to compare the differences of the collections at a detailed level. There is obviously some difference but without knowing what the membership of each is, there's nothing anyone can say.

Jason | http://blog.configmgrftw.com | @jasonsandys

Wednesday, September 10, 2014 1:17 AM
  • If I were you I would create a collection of all machines with no client.

select SMS_R_SYSTEM.ResourceID,SMS_R_SYSTEM.ResourceType,SMS_R_SYSTEM.Name,SMS_R_SYSTEM.SMSUniqueIdentifier,SMS_R_SYSTEM.ResourceDomainORWorkgroup,SMS_R_SYSTEM.Client from SMS_R_System where (SMS_R_System.Client is null or SMS_R_System.Client = 0) and SMS_R_System.Name != 'Unknown'

Wednesday, September 10, 2014 7:42 AM
  • Hi,

Delete Obsolete Client Discovery Data

Use this task to delete obsolete client records from the database. A record that is marked as obsolete has usually been replaced by a newer record for the same client. The newer record becomes the client’s current record.

Planning for Maintenance Tasks for Configuration Manager     

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time.
    Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Wednesday, September 10, 2014 10:11 AM
  • I should probably do that.  I did that with the older version (sms 2003).
    Wednesday, September 10, 2014 2:45 PM
  • Already have that in place.
    Wednesday, September 10, 2014 2:46 PM
  • OK, well I can't look at the properties of the "all desktop server clients", it's a default collection that even with my super rights it won't let me look at the query, but the collection is fairly self explanatory based on the name.  I did notice that what it is basing the "devices with no configuration manager installed" criteria on is actually the client activity.  If there is nothing in the client activity column it dumps it into the "devices without config mgr" category, so that is indeed misleading.  I just created a collection of systems without the client installed and will refer to that.  Thanks, all.  : )
    Wednesday, September 10, 2014 3:27 PM