SCCM CB 1710 - WSUS Issue RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I have an issue in installing the WSUS role on the SCCM application server. I can install the WSUS role but during post installation it fails

I get the below error

2018-07-04 08:50:08  System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException (0x80131904): Unable to open the physical file "C:\Windows\WID\Data\SUSDB.mdf". Operating system error 2: "2(The system cannot find the file specified.)".
    Could not restart database "SUSDB". Reverting to the previous status.
    ALTER DATABASE statement failed.
    File activation failure. The physical file name "C:\Windows\WID\Data\SUSDB_log.ldf" may be incorrect.
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.DatabaseAccess.DBConnection.DrainObsoleteConnections(SqlException e)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.DatabaseAccess.DBConnection.ExecuteCommandNoResult()
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Administration.ConfigureDB.ConnectToDB()
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Administration.ConfigureDB.Configure()
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Administration.ConfigureDB.Run(String instanceName, Action`1 logWriter, Boolean contentLocal)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Administration.PostInstall.Run()
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Administration.PostInstall.Execute(String[] arguments)
    ClientConnectionId:5dac9e76-4082-46bf-950a-995f8d62f2a6
    Error Number:5120,State:101,Class:16
    Fatal Error: Unable to open the physical file "C:\Windows\WID\Data\SUSDB.mdf". Operating system error 2: "2(The system cannot find the file specified.)".
    Could not restart database "SUSDB". Reverting to the previous status.
    ALTER DATABASE statement failed.
    File activation failure. The physical file name "C:\Windows\WID\Data\SUSDB_log.ldf" may be incorrect.

Also i get the below error popping up frequently

Visual studio erro.
    "An unhandled Microsoft .NET Framework exception occured in W3wp.exe"

I tried the below steps

1. https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/ie/en-US/c7a6f2d6-2e4d-437b-a104-03328c146d4a/wsus-post-deployment-tasks-configuration-failed?forum=winserverwsus

2. Restarted IIS service

3. Changes ISAPI filter to anonymous settings

Still the same issue. Please help

Regards, Pratap

Wednesday, July 4, 2018 6:20 AM

All replies

• Now i get this error in tmp file. Access denied

2018-07-04 09:03:08  FixSubscriptionCategories failed. Exception: System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapException: System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapException: Server was unable to process request. ---> System.TypeInitializationException: The type initializer for 'Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.ApiRemoting' threw an exception. ---> System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path 'Update Services' is denied.
       at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
       at System.IO.Directory.InternalCreateDirectory(String fullPath, String path, Object dirSecurityObj, Boolean checkHost)
       at System.IO.Directory.InternalCreateDirectoryHelper(String path, Boolean checkHost)
       at System.IO.Directory.CreateDirectory(String path)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Log.GetUsableLogFileName(String fileName, LogFileLocation& actualLogLocation)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Log.InitializeFromConfig()
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Log.InitializeIfNeeded()
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.ApiRemoting..cctor()
       --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.ApiRemoting..ctor()
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.BaseApi.SoapExceptionProcessor.DeserializeAndThrow(SoapException soapException)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.DatabaseAccess.AdminDataAccessProxy.GetServerVersion()
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.BaseApi.UpdateServer.CreateUpdateServer(String serverName, Boolean useSecureConnection, Int32 portNumber)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.BaseApi.UpdateServer..ctor(Boolean bypassApiRemoting)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Setup.StartServer.StartServer.FixSubscriptionCategories()
    2018-07-04 09:03:08  StartServer encountered errors. Exception=System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapException: Server was unable to process request. ---> System.TypeInitializationException: The type initializer for 'Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.ApiRemoting' threw an exception. ---> System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path 'Update Services' is denied.
       at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
       at System.IO.Directory.InternalCreateDirectory(String fullPath, String path, Object dirSecurityObj, Boolean checkHost)
       at System.IO.Directory.InternalCreateDirectoryHelper(String path, Boolean checkHost)
       at System.IO.Directory.CreateDirectory(String path)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Log.GetUsableLogFileName(String fileName, LogFileLocation& actualLogLocation)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Log.InitializeFromConfig()
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Log.InitializeIfNeeded()
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.ApiRemoting..cctor()
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.ApiRemoting..ctor()
    2018-07-04 09:03:08  Microsoft.UpdateServices.Administration.CommandException: Failed to start and configure the WSUS service
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Administration.PostInstall.Run()
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Administration.PostInstall.Execute(String[] arguments)
    Fatal Error: Failed to start and configure the WSUS service

Regards, Pratap

Wednesday, July 4, 2018 6:47 AM
  • Hi,

Since the issue is more related with SCCM, please have this asked in SCCM Forum for better answers.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-us/home?category=systemcenter2012configurationmanager

Best Regards,
    Frank

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Friday, July 13, 2018 9:44 AM
  • This is a wsus issue not sccm .. I have reinstalled wsus and get the same damn error.. there is not a damn thing on it from Microsoft..

Friday, July 27, 2018 10:31 PM
  • its fixed now..  .. let me ask you.. for configuration info//

wsus separate or on same box

SQL on same box as primary.. and is it WID or local database

Access to the path 'Update Services' is denied. run the wizard again after post installation in WSUS .. then watch the updates come down.. .do not close... once complete then go back to Primary server and install SUP wait till it finishes..  the try again..  I had this same issue and I did not let the connect to update finish because some dumbass wrote a document on install and said to start it and close it.. it kept the Windows server update file connect... 

Monday, July 30, 2018 1:51 PM