outlook express in win 7 pro RRS feed

• Question

• I, too, hate windows Live Mail, Eudora, Thunderbird - too much clutter, messages going astray, hard to sort.  FAQ at MSFT seems to suggest that running XP Mode download for Win 7 Pro will allow the use of the good ole standard Outlook Express.  Anyone doing this?
    Khaki
    Wednesday, March 10, 2010 3:37 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Windows XP Mode for Windows 7 makes it easy to install and run many Windows XP productivity applications directly from your Windows 7-based PC, such as Outlook Express. It utilizes virtualization technology, such as Windows Virtual PC, to provide a virtual Windows XP environment for Windows 7.

For more information about Windows XP Mode, I suggest you refer to the following article:

Windows XP Mode

To install Virtual PC and Windows XP Mode, please download the software from the link below:

Windows Virtual PC

Thanks,

Novak

• Marked as answer by Novak Wu Wednesday, March 17, 2010 2:11 AM
    Friday, March 12, 2010 2:34 AM

All replies

• Installing XP mode only to be able to return to Outlook Express? Feel free to do so, even if I don't understand your reasons at all. To me, Windows Live Mail is very similar to Outlook Express, perhaps with some facelifting... but essentially the same. Where do you see "too much clutter"? Why are "messages going astray" (the only thing I know and appreciate is that some messages from unwanted sources automatically go to the "junk" folder if you move them manually a few times)? What's harder to sort than in the "good ole standard"?
    "I think there is a world market for maybe five computers.” (Thomas J. Watson, Sr.)
    Wednesday, March 10, 2010 8:33 PM
  • I still do not understand the implications of adding XP mode - does it have any impact on Win 7 Pro other than allowing certain "orphan" programs to run?
    The facelifting is what I do not care for, and the multiple forced folders...
    all mail
    inbox
    xxx@gmail
    local folders
    too much color, too much space, looks more like Word 2007 (still getting accustomed to that).
    I did find the junk filtering excellent.
    My preference is for the compact, simple with detail easily seen at a glance and all in one place, manually archiving.
    I did play with Live Mail for a week, then tried Eudora and Thunderbird - same complaint for all - sometimes simple is better for certain applications.
    Of course I also miss the ability to play in dos (and and basic  ;-), used to be a Unix manager and considered Linux. 
    All in all, I like Windows 7 so far.
    Thursday, March 11, 2010 1:32 AM
  • Hi,

Windows XP Mode for Windows 7 makes it easy to install and run many Windows XP productivity applications directly from your Windows 7-based PC, such as Outlook Express. It utilizes virtualization technology, such as Windows Virtual PC, to provide a virtual Windows XP environment for Windows 7.

For more information about Windows XP Mode, I suggest you refer to the following article:

Windows XP Mode

To install Virtual PC and Windows XP Mode, please download the software from the link below:

Windows Virtual PC

Thanks,

Novak

• Marked as answer by Novak Wu Wednesday, March 17, 2010 2:11 AM
    Friday, March 12, 2010 2:34 AM