none
Does DPM 2012 SP1 support child partition backups of Hyper-V VMs and if so what requirements may be attached RRS feed

• Question

• Firstly let me apologize if this is documented somewhere, but I have been reading for the last few hours and can't find any clarification on this.

My problem is Server 2012 Virtual Machines on my Server 2008 R2 cluster are being backed up by DPM 2012 SP1 Update Rollup 1 as saved state instead of child partition.

My setup is as follows:

Server 2008 R2 cluster using cluster shared volumes.

A Server 2008 R2 physical server running DPM 2012 SP1 Update Rollup 1.

I just recently applied SP1 to DPM 2012, followed by Update Rollup 1 and then attempted to backup my VM's with DPM. They both appeared as saved state instead of child partition.

Obviously DPM 2012 SP1 supports server 2012 as a host and client backup OS but I can't find any documentation explaining if there are any other requirements such as:

• Does DPM need to be running on Server 2012 to backup server 2012 VMs using child partition?
    • Does the hyper-v host server need to be running Server 2012 for DPM to backup server 2012 VMs using child partition?

Any answers or links to documentation that I may have missed or looked over would be very appreciative,

Cheers

Friday, January 11, 2013 9:19 AM

All replies

• Closing for housekeeping.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, September 3, 2013 9:27 PM