none
Is there a way to force uninstall of agent RRS feed

• Question

• I am unable to uninstall an agent from the administrator console. I get the error id 292 that the computer is still protected. But I have removed it from all protection groups. Is there a way to work around this and force it to be removed?

Tuesday, May 31, 2011 4:37 PM

All replies

• You cannot un-install an agent if it still has active protection

If the agent is still showing under the "protected computers with protection agent" - then either something in the DPMDB is out of sync, or you really are still protecting something on that machine.  Can you go to the Protection tab, and then group by: computer - and see if that computer is listed.  

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Tuesday, May 31, 2011 11:17 PM
  • In the protection tab, sorted by computer. The computer I want to uninstall the agent from is not shown. But in the management windows, the computer I want to uninstall is listed under the "Protected computers with protection agent" section.

If it is something in the DPMDB that is out of sync, is there any queries I could run to get it in sync, or too completely erase all references to this system (and I'd manually uninstall the agent)?

Tuesday, May 31, 2011 11:22 PM
  • OK, Most likely there is one or more data sources / Protection groups that show it associated with that server. Please perform the following to clear it up.

1) Make a copy of the DPM Database by running dpmbackup -db from an administrative command prompt.
    2) Open SQL enterprise manager and connect to the msdpm2010 instance
    3) Open a new query and Run the following script.  Replace the PS-FQDN with your Servers FQDN you want to remove.

USE DPMDB
    DECLARE @ServerId Guid
    SELECT @ServerId = ServerId
    FROM tbl_AM_Server
    WHERE Servername = 'PS-FQDN'   -- replace with FQDN of protected server IE: OldServer.domain.com  - maintain the single quotes.
    AND MarkedForDeletion = 0
    SELECT DS.DataSourceName AS Datasource,
    AM.ServerName AS OnServer,
    PG.FriendlyName AS ProtectedInPG,
    DS.ProtectedGroupId
    FROM tbl_IM_DataSource DS
    JOIN tbl_AM_Server AM
    ON AM.ServerId = DS.ServerId
    JOIN tbl_IM_ProtectedGroup PG
    ON PG.ProtectedGroupId = DS.ProtectedGroupId
    where DS.ServerId = @ServerId

4) TO DELETE THE REFERENCE RUN THE FOLLOWING, ONCE FOR EACH UNIQUE ProtedtedGroupID guid returned above.

update tbl_IM_DataSource
    set ProtectedGroupId = null
    where ProtectedGroupId = '9E4A5DBE-9C7B-4D47-B324-267664C0A90F' --replace with protedtedgroupid guid - maintain the single quotes.

5) Close and restart the DPM Console.
    6) You should be able to uninstall the agent now.

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Wednesday, June 1, 2011 1:16 AM
  • The first query (step 3) does not return any results.

All the entries in tbl_IM_DataSource that reference the server I want to remove already have the ProtectedGroupId set to null.

Wednesday, June 1, 2011 4:01 PM
  • Hmm - strange, that is the only table I can think of that would prevent an agent from showing up under "Unprotected computers with protection agent" - afraid further anaysis of your DB is necessary which cannot be performed in a forum setting.   Please open a support case if you wish to pursue, else, just disable the agent.
    Wednesday, June 1, 2011 4:20 PM
  • You can try copying and extracting the installer package on the client, then from the temporary flat installation folder, run in order..

FOR X64 Server.

C:\Program Files\Microsoft DPM\DPM\ProtectionAgents\RA\3.0.7696.0\amd64\DPMAgentInstaller_x64.exe /x

- VC++ 2008 (vcredist_x64.exe)
    - MSXML 6   (msxml6_x64.msi)
    - Windows Error Reporting  (dw20sharedamd64.msi)
    - And lastly (DPMRA.msi)

FOR X86 Server.

C:\Program Files\Microsoft DPM\DPM\ProtectionAgents\RA\3.0.7696.0\amd64\DPMAgentInstaller_x86.exe /x

- VC++ 2008 (vcredist_x86.exe)
    - MSXML 6   (msxml6.msi)
    - Windows Error Reporting  (dw20sharedamd.msi)
    - And lastly (DPMRA.msi)

Saturday, June 4, 2011 4:15 AM