Rosetta Stone APPCrash--WrapperP has stopped working. Help?? RRS feed

• Question

• I just bought all 3 levels of the Japanese Rosetta Stone and, $500 later, I find out that my Vista won't run the Application disc after it's been installed. 

Problem signature:
      Problem Event Name:    APPCRASH
      Application Name:    RosettaStoneVersion3.exe
      Application Version:    1.0.0.1
      Application Timestamp:    469773f9
      Fault Module Name:    StackHash_a8a0
      Fault Module Version:    0.0.0.0
      Fault Module Timestamp:    00000000
      Exception Code:    80000001
      Exception Offset:    01688230
      OS Version:    6.0.6000.2.0.0.768.3
      Locale ID:    1033
      Additional Information 1:    a8a0
      Additional Information 2:    76a173c26a6dc2e3cd83ac8fd9f8bdb9
      Additional Information 3:    e572
      Additional Information 4:    7b3f634c955ac91fe3f1e745337a968a

Anyone who helps me with this problem, I'd be forever in your debt.
    • Moved by Carey FrischMVP, Moderator Monday, August 31, 2009 2:56 AM Moved to relevant category (From:Windows Vista Announcements)
    Saturday, May 24, 2008 3:38 PM

Answers

• These are the setting changes I had to make to get RosettaStone V3 to run on A Dell Insperion 1721 with Vista Home Premium.

Upgrade the BIOS to the latest version (Dell Support web site); then turn off the CPU NXE support in the security settings of the BIOS.
    UPgrade to Vista Service pack 2 (windows upgrade).
    Turn off DEP for "WrapperP"; RosettaStoneVersion3.exe.
    When inserting the install CD, choose "VIEW FILES" do not run SETUP. EXE. When the disk opens, right click on Setup.exe and choose "Run as Administrator".
    If you have downloaded the update.exe file (version 3.4 of Rosetta Stone) from the RosettaStone Support web site, do the same, right click on UPDATE.EXE and "Run as Administrator".

The program should run now without any problems and let you install language packs.
    Wednesday, December 9, 2009 12:05 AM

All replies

• Senseki

You can get a more detailed description of the error message using the Event Viewer.

Go to Control Panel and click the Classic View in the Tasdks pane. Double click Administrative Tools and double click the Event Viewer.

Expand Custom Views and select Administrative Events. This may take a couple of minutes to load.

Look for any events that display a 'Red error icon' that show the Source as Rosetta Stone that coincide with the Date and Time that the last error occurred.

If you find one, double click that error to see the details. On the lower, left side of the details window, click the Copy Button and paste the results back here in a reply.

You might also want to check with the Rosetta Stone support website for any know issues.

Rosetta Stone: Support:
    http://www.rosettastone.com/global/support/

If this post helps to resolve your issue, click the Mark as Answer button at the top of this message.
    This will help others who are having this issue find the answer faster.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows Desktop Experience
    Saturday, May 24, 2008 5:47 PM
  • + System

-
    Provider

[ Name]
    Application Error

-
    EventID

[ Qualifiers]

Level

Task

Keywords
    0x80000000000000

-
    TimeCreated

[ SystemTime]
    2008-05-24T15:30:56.000Z

EventRecordID

Channel
    Application

Computer
    Bakura

Security

- EventData

RosettaStoneVersion3.exe

469773f9

unknown

5c0

01c8bdb328366bf0

I hope this is what you meant--Yeah... I'm gonna check the website, too.  Thank you for your help, by the way.
    Saturday, May 24, 2008 7:41 PM
  • Senseki

Sorry, I guess I didn't explain properly.

When you see that error in the right side list, Double Click the error. This will open a separate properties dialog box, that has a 'Copy button' at the lower/left corner. Clicking that copy button will copy the information to the clipboard. You can then just 'Paste' that into your reply.

-----------------------

Ronnie Vernon

Microsoft MVP

Saturday, May 24, 2008 9:15 PM
  • Ahh... No... I just kinda missed that.  Sorry.  Anyways, Yeah... I think I got it this time.

Log Name:      Application
    Source:        Application Error
    Date:          5/24/2008 5:14:01 PM
    Event ID:      1000
    Task Category: (100)
    Level:         Error
    Keywords:      Classic
    User:          N/A
    Computer:      Bakura
    Description:
    Faulting application RosettaStoneVersion3.exe, version 1.0.0.1, time stamp 0x469773f9, faulting module unknown, version 0.0.0.0, time stamp 0x00000000, exception code 0x80000001, fault offset 0x01dd8230, process id 0x1360, application start time 0x01c8bde315c55498.
    Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
      <System>
        <Provider Name="Application Error" />
        <EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID>
        <Level>2</Level>
        <Task>100</Task>
        <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2008-05-24T21:14:01.000Z" />
        <EventRecordID>32581</EventRecordID>
        <Channel>Application</Channel>
        <Computer>Bakura</Computer>
        <Security />
      </System>
      <EventData>
        <Data>RosettaStoneVersion3.exe</Data>
        <Data>1.0.0.1</Data>
        <Data>469773f9</Data>
        <Data>unknown</Data>
        <Data>0.0.0.0</Data>
        <Data>00000000</Data>
        <Data>80000001</Data>
        <Data>01dd8230</Data>
        <Data>1360</Data>
        <Data>01c8bde315c55498</Data>
      </EventData>
    </Event>
    Sunday, May 25, 2008 2:01 PM
  • Senseki

That error message is a generic message that indicates the program isn't running or was not installed properly. Since the 'faulting module' is unnamed, it would be almost impossible to track this down.

Here is what I recommend.

1. Completely uninstall Rosetta Stone from Control Panel/Programs and features and reboot the computer.

2. After the reboot, run System Restore to make sure there are no registry entries left over from Rosetta Stone.

To do this, go to Start/All Programs/Accessories/System Tools and click on System Restore.

Select the 'Choose a different restore point' on the first screen and click Next.

On the second screen, check the 'Show restore points older than 5 days' option.

Select a restore point that has a date just prior to the installation of the program.

3. Check to make sure that all of the hardware devices on the system are using the latest drivers, especially the Display drivers.

4. Unplug any external peripheral devices, such as USB hard drives, memory cards, or multimedia devices.

Restart the system, exit any start up programs or utilities (usually indicated with an icon in the system tray).

Re-install Rosetta Stone. Make sure the system is restarted before running the program. The first time you run the program just use the default configuration.

Let us know the results.

If this post helps to resolve your issue, click the Mark as Answer button at the top of this message.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP

Sunday, May 25, 2008 5:09 PM
  • Well,  I followed all your instructions...  This must be a pretty tricky problem because in the end, the exact same thing happened.  The word 'APPCRASH' is going to haunt me forever, I swear...

But seriously,  I have no idea why even after all that, it wouldn't work.  The Rosetta Stone tech support is closed until tomorrow so I guess all I can do is wait until then and hope that they might know what's wrong, because the FAQ on their site doesn't have anything about this.

I'm just agitated that all this time I'm wasting trying to figure out what's wrong, I could be using the program to learn the Japanese I'll need to know when I go to Japan in a month.  This is going to mean extra studying.  I really wish I didn't have a Vista, but until I get a second hard drive to install XP on, I'll have to keep putting up with problems like this.
    Monday, May 26, 2008 12:22 AM
  • Senseki

I can't understand it either?

Please come back to this thread and let us know if the Rosetta Stne support is able to fix the problem and what the solution was. Be sure that you mention evrything we tried here, it should help them to pinpoint the problem.

You can point them to this link:

Rosetta Stone APPCrash--WrapperP has stopped working. Help?? - TechNet Forums:
    http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3395472&SiteID=17

I'm very curious about this.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP

Monday, May 26, 2008 1:17 AM
  • Hello, and sorry for the long delay getting back to you.

I actually was never able to get through to Rosetta Stone's tech support.  I was left on hold for almost an hour every time I called.  However, I did manage to get the problem resolved myself.

The problem was in the DEP settings.  I had to turn the DEP of for the WrapperP Application that kept crashing.  I was also able to resolve a similar issue I had with another program, too.  So all in all, I'm pretty happy I was able to figure it out.  I was actually able to figure it out because Firefox crashed, and the computer I suggested I check my System Properties.

Anyways, I really appreciate your help.  I would have given up and sent Rosetta Stone back if you hadn't answered and given me some sort of confidence that the problem was resolvable.

So, thank you.

-Avi
    Tuesday, June 24, 2008 9:31 AM
  • Senseki

Thank you very much for coming back here and letting us know how this worked out.

I am very happy that you were able to get the issues fixed and you did a good job tracking this down.

Regards,

By marking a post as Answered, you help others find the answer faster.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP

Tuesday, June 24, 2008 9:17 PM
  • Thank you for your post - I had this same problem and your reply helped me fix it, most especially because Rosetta Stone never answered my technical support question. 

In case someone else has this same problem here are the steps to take to change your DEP settings (from here http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/help/1d9bb9b4-f6ba-466d-ac2b-7b8c4f8361611033.mspx#E1B):

Open System by clicking the Start button , clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Maintenance, and then clicking System.

Click Advanced System Settings.  If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Under Performance, click Settings.

Click the Data Execution Prevention tab, and then click Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select.

Show all

To turn off DEP for an individual program

Select the check box next to the program that you want to turn off DEP for, and then click OK.

If the program is not in the list, click Add. Browse to the Program Files folder, find the executable file for the program (it will have an .exe file extension), and then click Open.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

You can add the Rosetta Stone application to your exception list, and then "WrapperP" will appear on the list, and then you'll be able to run it without crashing.  It's too bad that Windows Vista doesn't have an error message that tells you what the problem is (i.e., "your DEP settings are preventing you from running this program".  I can see now why people buy Apples - it's ridiculous to expect people to find out this stuff on their own.

• Proposed as answer by Eclosion Saturday, November 14, 2009 7:04 PM
    Thursday, June 26, 2008 2:01 PM
  •  

I am still haveing the same problem with the "WrapperP" file and I added it to the DEP. In fact I added all the Rosetta stone files to it just in case.

Saturday, August 9, 2008 6:08 AM
  • Me too! I did the DEP setting, but no improvement.  I wanted to restore the system to 1 month ago when I first installed the Rosetta Stone V3.2.11, but the computer doesn't have the restore points 1 month before now to choose from, only very recently ones.

Hope we can solve this soon.
    Monday, August 18, 2008 1:32 PM
  • Yeah this is just ridiculous.  Microsoft had this figured out with the previous version of Rosetta Stone.  Been months with the v3 problem.
    Monday, August 18, 2008 10:53 PM
  • having the same issue. installs fine on old compaq presario. on my home HP Media Center. fine on hp pavilion dv5-1017nr but won't install for nothing on HP dv5-1003nr.

added wrapperp to dep list. no go. disabled dep list completely. no go.

it won't let me uninstall it either. just hangs. having an amd processor wouldn't cause this would it (AMD Turion X2, 64)? i know quite a bit about pc's in general and theirs no real differences between these machines except that.

Tuesday, August 19, 2008 2:32 AM
  • I'm having the same issue with my dv5-1002nr.  I'm beginning to wonder about AMD or the IGP as well.  I saw a thread on overclock that suggested 64bit OS vs. 32bit software. Any suggestions would be wonderful.

Wednesday, August 20, 2008 12:13 AM
  •  

i took mine back. decided not to risk the 1002nr. i got another pc. toshiba. it's AMD too but works. it's not the same chip though. so i gave up my blue-ray! anyhow, at least rosetta works.

Wednesday, August 20, 2008 1:41 AM
  • I added the RosettastoneVersion3.exe to the DEP and it worked for me after that.
    Saturday, August 23, 2008 4:06 AM
  •  

this is absolutley ridiculous... i restored my comp i added rosetta to the list and still wrapperp comes back.. ive unistalled and reinstalled prob 10 times today... i just cant figure this out.. why is it working for some people and not all??? i followed all the steps!
    Sunday, August 24, 2008 10:54 PM
  • After a couple days of correspondence with Rosetta, Here is a support thread that eventually worked for me!

http://rosettastone.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/rosettastone.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=340&p_created=1208385357

I downloaded the version 3.5 update, turned off DEP, altered the Rosetta directory to full update (removed read only), and then executed the Update.exe.  A couple minutes into it the installer started up a Rosetta window which then froze the install.  After about a half hour I terminated the Rosetta window and the installer took off again.  There was a second window that popped that halted the install again.  Once again I terminated that other window and the install finished.  Rosetta v3.5 then fired up, asked for activation IDs and let me define users and seems to work fine on my 32-bit vista.

My homeschooler can now learn Japanese...Just in time for starting School :-)

Best of luck to the rest of you.

Friday, August 29, 2008 12:59 AM
  • Thank youvery much
    i was able to sort out the same problem

Thanks a lot

Sunday, August 31, 2008 5:53 PM
  • Hi I have had the same problem as Senseki!
    After loading up the application disc the programme wont go any further and just says wrapper P isn't responding!
    I have gone through what you have suggested with system restore, but nothing happened, i have also tried adjusting the DEP settings but again nothing has changed!

My computer is vista and its rosetta stone version 3? I looked on the rosetta stone website and it says my computer is compatible!

Its driving me crazy i have spent like 3 days trying to get it to work, i have rung up rosetta stone and e-mailed them, but they keep saying re-start and un-install then re-install!
    (done that 5 times, nothing!!)

I think im at a lost cause and should just send it back! But if you have any other suggestion, would be much apprecited!

Many thanks

Kerloee
    Wednesday, January 7, 2009 4:51 PM
  • Has anybody got Rosetta Stone 3 installed in windows 7 ? I'm having similar problems to those described here....
    Thursday, August 13, 2009 12:44 PM
  • I tried doing the DEP stuff and it still didn't work. Since it runs under XP I just set the compatibility to XP (Service Pack 2) and now it works perfectly fine =)
    Thought I'd let you know in case anyone else had the problem that the DEP wasn't enough to make it work...
    Tuesday, September 29, 2009 4:26 PM
  • I am bummin' about Rosetta Stone 3 and Windows 7.  I updated Vista which ran RS 3 to Windows 7, now in Windows 7 it asks for my numbers.  When I give it my numbers, it says they have already been installed on another computer.  Any suggestions?  I would hope that a program as successful as Rosetta Stone would have a better support for problems. 
    Saturday, October 31, 2009 11:12 PM
  • For Windows 7, I followed similar steps that DavisMcDavis recommended (above) and it worked.

However, I could not find the wrapperp.exe program anywhere.
    In actual fact "WrapperP" is "RosettaStoneVersion3.exe" so disabling DEP (Data Execution Prevention) for RosettaStoneVersion3.exe worked.

The default location for this file is c:\program files\Rosetta Stone\Rosetta Stone V3\RosettaStoneVersion3.exe

Funnily enough, having done that, you wil see that the Data Execution Prevention utility list the program as "WrapperP Application".    This is because of the way Rosetta Stone has marked some file properties for RosettaStoneVersion3.exe : file description and product name are both set to "WrapperP Application"

By the way, I would recommend keeping Data Execution Prevention ON for all programs as the default:  it is a powerful protection against viruses and other exploits.  In general, no program should be attempting to execute data, and most programs don't do this, so this won't normally be a problem.

IMO, Rosetta Stone really should provide better help on their support page: a search for WrapperP should show the solution above, but it doesn't.

• Edited by Eclosion Saturday, November 14, 2009 7:03 PM formatting, plus refer to DavisMcDavis solution
    • Proposed as answer by Eclosion Saturday, November 14, 2009 7:04 PM
    Saturday, November 14, 2009 6:59 PM
  • These are the setting changes I had to make to get RosettaStone V3 to run on A Dell Insperion 1721 with Vista Home Premium.

Upgrade the BIOS to the latest version (Dell Support web site); then turn off the CPU NXE support in the security settings of the BIOS.
    UPgrade to Vista Service pack 2 (windows upgrade).
    Turn off DEP for "WrapperP"; RosettaStoneVersion3.exe.
    When inserting the install CD, choose "VIEW FILES" do not run SETUP. EXE. When the disk opens, right click on Setup.exe and choose "Run as Administrator".
    If you have downloaded the update.exe file (version 3.4 of Rosetta Stone) from the RosettaStone Support web site, do the same, right click on UPDATE.EXE and "Run as Administrator".

The program should run now without any problems and let you install language packs.
    Wednesday, December 9, 2009 12:05 AM
  • Toyduck's steps worked perfectly fine on my vaio with windows 7.
    though i had to uninstall the app once as did not run the setup.exe as an admin.

now rosetta works like a charm.
    Thanks to all on the thread.
    Thursday, January 14, 2010 9:33 AM
  • I was following Toyduck's steps and got stuck on the "CPU NXE support":

I downloaded the latest version of BIOS via the Dell support website as indicated above but I do not have the CPU NXE option in the BIOS settings of my computer (Dell Inspiron 1545, Vista service pack 2). Anyone has an idea of what the problem could be?

I'm so frustrated that I can't get this expensive program going.

Thanks a lot for your precious help!

Thursday, March 4, 2010 11:37 AM
  • Hello,

I just got the Japanese 1 2 and 3 Rosetta Stone as well, and had the exact same problem as you. I tried everything from upgrading to Windows 7 to the BIOS and the whole sha-bang.

What you need to do is when you install the program, instead of running it straight from the CD, hit View Files and right click on Setup.exe. Run it as admin instead of your average user. I don't know why it worked, but when I updated it and everything, I did run as administrator, I could actually run the setup and stuff.

Added to this, the WrapperP application. Every time something randomly closes - I notice it does this sometimes with Yahoo Messenger, or with Guild Wars, sometimes not even when I open them but am in the middle of things - there will be a box that comes up and the window will turn white. This is what is known as Data Execution Prevention, which basically prevents executing code from a non-executable memory region. Under System, go to Advanced System Settings, and make an exception. To do this, just go to where you installed the program, and make sure you take the executable file and add it to the list. Hit apply.

Now when you pop in the language discs, you run the program (again as admin), and it should prompt you to put in the discs for the language(s) and hit "okay".

You should now be able to use your languages in the program. I always "Run as admin" just to be safe.

I just figured this out, so sorry if I'm late.

Cheers though!

Laguna Bardwell

Monday, April 19, 2010 4:27 AM
  • thankyou thankyou thankyou!!!!   I spent my entire afternoon trying to figure out how to get Rosetta Stone to work on my computer again...  I hadn't used the program in 2 years - and it used to work.  Changing the DEP setting worked for me.  I have Vista.  yay - so happy - thanks
    Sunday, October 10, 2010 2:53 AM
  • I have French Level 1&2 and Windows 7. Turning off DEP helped! Thank you very much!
    Friday, March 11, 2011 2:50 PM
  • Hi,

this fix worked for me.

thank you for your help.

dnyakana@hotmail.com

Thursday, April 26, 2012 9:08 PM
  • Thanks for the post. You saved the day!! Only if I had did some research before spending over 2 hours troubleshooting. After turning on DEP for "RosettaStoneVersion3" problem resolved. Thanks all!!
    Sunday, July 29, 2012 5:14 PM