none
Event ID 307 for Windows 7 and 10

Question

• Hi,

I would like to keep track of printing information on a Windows 7/10. 

It seems that event 307 is available in Windows 8/8.1 and Servers, but it was not included in Windows 7/10.

Do you know why? Is there a new event ID that can provide similar information?

Thank you,

Thursday, May 17, 2018 3:56 PM

Answers

• 307 is available on Windows 7 and 10 after enabling the PrintService / Operational logs.

For Windows 10, each update will disable the Operational logs so you will need to enable them again after the update.

It's an old bug in Windows that will never be addressed.  Well, if it gets fixed I'd appreciate it but few others would.

Event 307 is for local printing only, local printers and Branch Office Direct printer connections.

Alan Morris formerly with Windows Printing Team

Friday, May 18, 2018 4:05 AM
    Answerer
  • There is a policy to configure the spooler not to obfuscate the document name to Print Document

Computer Configuration \ Administrative Templates \ Printers

Allow job name in event logs 

I discuss the policy here: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/12e60098-1f46-4c6e-8b10-9c816dadb2b2/kb-fix-for-print-document-name-in-event-logs-on-server-2012-and-server-2012r2?forum=winserverprint

Wednesday, May 23, 2018 5:39 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• 307 is available on Windows 7 and 10 after enabling the PrintService / Operational logs.

For Windows 10, each update will disable the Operational logs so you will need to enable them again after the update.

It's an old bug in Windows that will never be addressed.  Well, if it gets fixed I'd appreciate it but few others would.

Event 307 is for local printing only, local printers and Branch Office Direct printer connections.

Friday, May 18, 2018 4:05 AM
    Answerer
  • Alan,

In Windows 10, event 307 does not show the printed document name. I am aware of an article (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2938013/event-id-307-does-not-show-the-printed-document-name-in-windows) that talks about a patch for Windows 2012/R2 and Windows 8/8.1, but I do not see Windows 10 mentioned in the article. Is there a patch for Windows 10 that you know of?

Thanks,

Wednesday, May 23, 2018 2:25 PM
  • There is a policy to configure the spooler not to obfuscate the document name to Print Document

Computer Configuration \ Administrative Templates \ Printers

Allow job name in event logs 

I discuss the policy here: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/12e60098-1f46-4c6e-8b10-9c816dadb2b2/kb-fix-for-print-document-name-in-event-logs-on-server-2012-and-server-2012r2?forum=winserverprint

Wednesday, May 23, 2018 5:39 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi Mr. Vacano

Did you get this working in your environment?

Thanks

Friday, May 25, 2018 6:27 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi,

I'm going to mark this as answered.  If you need further assistance, I'll help you.  I get this working on all my print servers and test client systems.

I like to know the doc names.

Wednesday, June 6, 2018 5:03 AM
    Answerer