none
Permission to view resource timesheets RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Is it possible to give a Manager the permission to view randomly a timesheet  belonging to a resource or to another?

Thanks

Tuesday, December 17, 2013 5:39 PM

Answers

• Hi Robert,

Even being a administrator or top at RBS level, you can not view time sheet for other resources in your organization. You might use a development for a impersonation application (see here).

Nevertheless, I'd suggest a report based solution. You can build Excel Services report, based on the Reporting DB or on the OLAP cubes, containing all timesheets data and metadata.

Another solution, in case the timesheet view requirement is more specific and not so frequent, is to use the delegation feature (PS2010 and PS2013).

Hope this helps.

Guillaume Rouyre - MBA, MCP, MCTS

• Marked as answer by Robert6156 Saturday, January 4, 2014 5:47 PM
    Tuesday, December 17, 2013 6:07 PM

All replies

• Hi Robert,

Even being a administrator or top at RBS level, you can not view time sheet for other resources in your organization. You might use a development for a impersonation application (see here).

Nevertheless, I'd suggest a report based solution. You can build Excel Services report, based on the Reporting DB or on the OLAP cubes, containing all timesheets data and metadata.

Another solution, in case the timesheet view requirement is more specific and not so frequent, is to use the delegation feature (PS2010 and PS2013).

Hope this helps.

• Marked as answer by Robert6156 Saturday, January 4, 2014 5:47 PM
    Tuesday, December 17, 2013 6:07 PM
  • Hi,

If you want  you can go with my approach, also via this approach you can create a report in SSRS.

You create a Service account named as TimesheetManager then make this account as timesheet manager for all the resource.

As all the task update will go to status manager only timesheet will go for TimesheetManager approval.

You can set rule for update the timesheet or you can share the credential to Resource manager. He can check and approve the timesheet for resources.

Then you can create a ssrs report in BI center in which you can see the timesheet value or status for any resource from filter.

kirtesh

Tuesday, December 17, 2013 6:53 PM
  • Hi Guillaume,

<<specific and not so frequent, is to use the delegation feature>> Yes it is!

In a first step I'll use this solution, but I'll study the report solution.

Thanks

Tuesday, December 17, 2013 8:48 PM
  • Hi Robert,

Timesheet reports using Excel Services are quite easy to create, deploy and manage. This would definitively be my suggestion.

Delegation should be used on the spot, when there is a specific need to consult a timesheet.

Hope this helps.

Tuesday, December 17, 2013 8:56 PM
  • Actually I use delegation for everything (including timesheets).  It's a great tool for debugging issues.  For example, sometimes a user will call and say a certain error is occurring.  I will go in as a DELEGATE and see exactly what the issue is.

Best tool for resolving issues in the PMO.

Cheers!

Michael Wharton, MVP, MBA, PMP, MCT, MCTS, MCSD, MCSE+I, MCDBA
    Website http://www.WhartonComputer.com
    Blog http://MyProjectExpert.com contains my field notes and SQL queries

Tuesday, December 24, 2013 7:35 AM