none
Adding Templates(.admx) for Windows 10

Question

• Hi, we have a simple domain with just one Windows 2012 (not R2) DC. I need to add GP Templates(.admx) for Windows 10. Since there is only one DC we don’t have the Central Store for ADMX files.
    So I understand that my ADMX files in C:\Windows\PolicyDefinitions on my DC Windows 2012 Server.
    I downloaded templates and installed (extracted) it to default C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Group Policy\Windows 10 Version 1511\PolicyDefinitions.

Can somebody please clarify What should I do: replace the existing PolicyDefinitions folder on new one or copy all files insight downloaded PolicyDefinitions folder to C:\Windows\PolicyDefinitions or something else?

Thank you in advance,
    Alex

• Edited by alilbas Monday, January 25, 2016 12:19 AM
    Monday, January 25, 2016 12:16 AM

Answers

• Hi Alilbas,

You need to copy all file to C:\Windows\PolicyDefinitions like below (select all .admx file and a language folder).

Best Regards,

Jay

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Edited by Jay GuModerator Monday, January 25, 2016 10:41 AM
    • Marked as answer by alilbas Wednesday, January 27, 2016 5:33 PM
    Monday, January 25, 2016 7:38 AM
  • > need to add GP Templates(.admx) for Windows 10. Since there is only one
    > DC we don’t have the Central Store for ADMX files.

I'd recommend to create a central store. This will allow to use the
    updated ADMX not only on the DC, but on all other servers and
    workstations too...

Monday, January 25, 2016 11:27 AM
  • Thank you Jesse,

Taking the ownership was tricky. After taking the ownership on folder all files inside still where owned by TrastedInstaller Group. So I decided do not play with the systems files and create a store. It was easy and straight forwarded process. And it looks like working.

Thank you again

• Marked as answer by alilbas Wednesday, January 27, 2016 5:31 PM
    Wednesday, January 27, 2016 5:31 PM

All replies

• You will want to copy and replace the downloaded files from C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Group Policy\Windows 10 Version 1511\PolicyDefinitions to C:\Windows\PolicyDefinitions

It's fine to overwrite the files at C:\Windows\PolicyDefinitions but you might want to take a backup copy first just in case.

I don't see a reason for creating the central store unless you had multiple domain controllers to deal with.

• Proposed as answer by DonPick Monday, January 25, 2016 3:13 AM
    Monday, January 25, 2016 3:10 AM
  • Hi Alilbas,

You need to copy all file to C:\Windows\PolicyDefinitions like below (select all .admx file and a language folder).

Best Regards,

Jay

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Edited by Jay GuModerator Monday, January 25, 2016 10:41 AM
    Monday, January 25, 2016 7:38 AM
  • > need to add GP Templates(.admx) for Windows 10. Since there is only one
    > DC we don’t have the Central Store for ADMX files.

I'd recommend to create a central store. This will allow to use the
    updated ADMX not only on the DC, but on all other servers and
    workstations too...

Monday, January 25, 2016 11:27 AM
  • Thank you all.
    I tried to do that as an Administrator to Domain but access was denied because of not enough permissions. I tried to change the permissions to the Polycydeffinitions folder and subfolders but the owner of that folder is member of TrastInstaller Group. I didn’t find that group to in AD Users and Computers. How to change a permission to make it possible copy the files? Or what is wrong I am doing?
     Is it may be it easier to create a Central store first and then copied it over?

Thank you in advance,

Alex

• Edited by alilbas Tuesday, January 26, 2016 5:45 PM
    Tuesday, January 26, 2016 3:56 PM
  • Thank you all.
    I tried to do that as an Administrator to Domain but access was denied because of not enough permissions. I tried to change the permissions to the Polycydeffinitions folder and subfolders but the owner of that folder is member of TrastInstaller Group. I didn’t find that group to in AD Users and Computers. How to change a permission to make it possible copy the files? Or what is wrong I am doing?

Thank you in advance,

Alex

Tuesday, January 26, 2016 3:56 PM
  • I forget to mention that my DC is running like a VM

Alex

Tuesday, January 26, 2016 4:06 PM
  • Hi Alilbas

Two options here:

A) take ownership of the existing PolicyDefinitions folder and give your administrator account full write permissions to be able to complete the copy for ADMX - see this link for a reference 

B) create a central store for group policy files - see this link for a reference 

Jesse

• Edited by Jesse Loudon Tuesday, January 26, 2016 10:54 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Jesse Loudon Wednesday, January 27, 2016 10:04 PM
    Tuesday, January 26, 2016 10:53 PM
  • Thank you Jesse,

Taking the ownership was tricky. After taking the ownership on folder all files inside still where owned by TrastedInstaller Group. So I decided do not play with the systems files and create a store. It was easy and straight forwarded process. And it looks like working.

Thank you again

• Marked as answer by alilbas Wednesday, January 27, 2016 5:31 PM
    Wednesday, January 27, 2016 5:31 PM
  • I created the Store and uploaded new files there. It was easier and faster for me. It is seems to me works now.
    Thank you
    Wednesday, January 27, 2016 5:33 PM
  • I did that

Thanx

Wednesday, January 27, 2016 5:33 PM
  • Great i'm glad this is resolved
    Wednesday, January 27, 2016 10:05 PM