"computer has rebooted from a bugcheck" message every time i restart my PC RRS feed

• Question

• my apologies if the answer to this exists somewhere else.  i have been trying to find an answer without success for several days now.

while checking my event log i noticed that the same message has been appearing in my event log for weeks (at least).  although i did have a BSOD some time ago, there has not been a similar occurrence for several weeks (i removed the software that seemed to be causing the problem).  the message is the following:

Event Type: Information
    Event Source: Save Dump
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 1006
    Date:  11/21/2008
    Time:  9:55:38 AM
    User:  N/A
    Computer: FUZZFACE
    Description:
    The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck.  A dump was not saved.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

i realize that it's an 'information' message, but it's a bit unnerving that it appears every day (actually after every reboot) with no reference to when the bugcheck occurred, etc. 

i'm running WinXP pro (x64), SP2 on an ASUS p5n32e SLI motherboard, 2.4Ghz Intel Q6600, 8Gb RAM, Geforce 8800GTX, latest drivers, etc.

is there a registry entry somewhere that never got cleared ?

anyone else ever seen this?

Friday, November 21, 2008 11:50 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Have you disable Auto-restart? Maybe another Blue Screen occurs but you did not see it. After disabling Auto-restart, the computer would not reboot when the issue occurs and we may find the cause.

Since this issue occurs in Windows XP, this Windows Vista forum is not the best recourse for the issue. In order to be assure that this issue will be resolved as soon as possible, I recommend that you create a new post in our Windows XP forum for discuss.

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowForum.aspx?ForumID=2010&SiteID=17

Thursday, November 27, 2008 9:27 AM

All replies

• This is very likely a blue screen issue or stop error issue. Since Windows system uses separated user mode and kernel mode memory space, stop errors are always caused by kernel portion components, such as a third-party device drivers, backup software or anti-virus services (buggy services).

The system goes to a blue screen because there is some exceptions happened in the kernel (either the device driver errors or the service errors), and Windows implements this mechanism: When it detects some errors occur in the kernel, it will kill the box in case some more severe damage happens. Then we get a blue screen or the system reboots (it depends on what the system settings are).

If you want, you can adjust the setting to show the blue screen with more information, when a kernel mode crash occurs:

1. Click "Start", in the Start Search box type "SYSDM.CPL" (without quotation marks) and press Enter.

2. Click the "Advanced" tab and click the "Settings" button under "Startup and Recovery".

3. Uncheck the option Automatically Restart.

To troubleshoot this kind of kernel crash issue, we need to debug the crashed system dump. Unfortunately, debugging is beyond what we can do in the forum. A suggestion would be to contact Microsoft Customer Service and Support (CSS) via telephone so that a dedicated Support Professional can assist with your request. Please be advised that contacting phone support will be a charged call.

To obtain the phone numbers for specific technology request please take a look at the web site listed below:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;PHONENUMBERS

If you are outside the US please see http://support.microsoft.com for regional support phone numbers.

Having said that, I'd still like to provide the following general troubleshooting steps to see if we can eliminate this problem:

Note: Please perform a complete system backup first. If any unexpected issue occurs, we can quickly restore the system to the current status.

Step1

=========

Please disable the anti-virus temporary and monitor the issue. If it reoccurs, go to Step2.

Step2

=========

Start Windows in Clean Boot mode

Note: You must be logged on as an administrator or a member of the Administrators group to complete this procedure.

1) Click Start->Run.

2) Copy and paste "msconfig" (without the quotation marks) in the open box, and click Enter.

3) Switch to Services tab and then Check Hide All Microsoft Services.

4) Click Disable All.

5) Switch to the Startup tab and then Click Disable all.

6) Click OK.

7) Click Restart to restart the computer and test the issue.

If the issue disappears in the Clean Boot environment, we can use a 50/50 approach to quickly narrow down which entry is causing the issue.

However, after you monitor the issue, if it still occurs, please contact Microsoft Customer Support Service (CSS) for further troubleshooting. I hope the problem will be resolved soon. Thanks!

Monday, November 24, 2008 7:55 AM
  • thanks very much for your response, however, i think you missed my point.   i have not had another blue screen for weeks, but the message is still appearing in my event log every day. 

Monday, November 24, 2008 6:23 PM
  • Hi,

Have you disable Auto-restart? Maybe another Blue Screen occurs but you did not see it. After disabling Auto-restart, the computer would not reboot when the issue occurs and we may find the cause.

Since this issue occurs in Windows XP, this Windows Vista forum is not the best recourse for the issue. In order to be assure that this issue will be resolved as soon as possible, I recommend that you create a new post in our Windows XP forum for discuss.

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowForum.aspx?ForumID=2010&SiteID=17

Thursday, November 27, 2008 9:27 AM
  • Hi  winkie.

I  know  it  was a long time  ago , but  I  had  a bugcheck  every  time  I  booted  too  and  eventually  found  the  cause  in  my  case.

Here  it  is  just  for  the  record:

Not  sure  if  that  worked  so  here  it  is  in  case  it  didn't  or  the  link  gets  removed:

07-10-2008, 05:50 PM
    Bruce.

DefaultBugcheck in Event View after boot

Just FYI. Here's one for the Google archives. XP SP3.

My system is not now crashing nor BSOD but I've been getting this event
    recorded in the Event Log on EVERY boot.

"The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x0000008e
    (0xc0000005, 0x804ef186, 0xbacf374c, 0x00000000). A full dump was not
    saved."

I was getting BSOD a while ago but have since fixed that.

It turns out that XP will record the above event message on every boot if
    you still have this file:

c:\WINDOWS\MEMORY.DMP

That's the file it usually writes during a BSOD, however the boot code is
    apparently not smart enough to know it's an old file, so it continues to log
    the bugcheck message in the Event Log on every boot.

Assuming you're not crashing anymore, deleting the file makes the bugcheck
    event messages go away.

Bruce.

Thursday, April 12, 2012 5:55 AM