none
How to purge Exchange server logs in DAG RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

The log file in folder Mailbox Database too much, i would like to purge it.

I was recommended that not to delete Log by manual.

But when i use "Windows server backup" --> Once backup as guide line internet. It's backup VSS full is complete but can not automatic remove the old log. Disk size still warning FULL.

whether have any case or any method, please guide me to fix A.S.A.P, because the disk size almost full.

Thanks,

Tony

Wednesday, July 17, 2019 7:57 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Best way to purge logs quickly is enable circular longing on that database by running below command

Set-MailboxDatabase YBD1 -CircularLoggingEnabled $True

For more information you can use below URL.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/exchange/configure-circular-logging-for-a-mailbox-database-exchange-2013-help

HP

Wednesday, July 17, 2019 8:55 AM
  • Hi Hardik,

Thanks for information, but i have DAG for one mailbox database, 2 server nodes.

Whether it's effect?

Thanks,

Tony

Thursday, July 18, 2019 6:01 AM
  • Hi Tony,

Did you check Event Viewer for some Event ID like 2046, 225?

It's probably because some actions are being written to the transaction logs and this will stop the log truncation. In general, we suggest to make a VSS full backup during no-working hours and make the backup regularly.

Regards,

Lydia Zhou

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Thursday, July 18, 2019 8:16 AM
  • Hi Tony,

It will not affect, You can enable it to purge your logs.

You can configure Exchange to save disk space by enabling circular logging. Circular logging allows Exchange to overwrite transaction log files after the data that the log files contain is committed to the database. However, if circular logging is enabled, you can recover data only up until the last full backup. 

HP

Thursday, July 18, 2019 8:48 AM
  • Hi All,

I have try again with: 

Windows Server Backup VSS full, but the log cannot auto reduce

- Enable circular logging, but the log cannot auto reduce

- Diskshadow
    Add volume f:
    Begin Backup
    Create

End Backup

Anything do not effect for my case. Could you please detail me any case to fix it...? 

Thanks,

Tony

Thursday, July 18, 2019 9:57 AM
  • Hi,

Brows to folder "\Program Files\Exchsvr\bin"

RUN below command to see detail of checkpoint file since your Last full backup 

eseutil /mk "C:\Program Files\Exchsrvr\MDBDATA\E00.chk"

In the results returned you'll see these lines:

LastFullBackupCheckpoint: (0x0,0,0)
    Checkpoint: (0x2,EC2,1C7)

The first number in the "Checkpoint" entry -- 0x2 -- is a hexadecimal number that refers to the last checkpoint log. Therefore, any logs numbered E000001.log or earlier could be removed. If the checkpoint was 0x14C8, then logs numbered E0014C7.log or earlier could be removed.

If you're bother about erasing Exchange transaction logs , you can always compress them and move them offline instead.

HP

Thursday, July 18, 2019 11:14 AM
  • Hi,

Brows to folder "\Program Files\Exchsvr\bin"

RUN below command to see detail of checkpoint file since your Last full backup 

In the results returned you'll see these lines:

Checkpoint: (0x2,EC2,1C7)

The first number in the "Checkpoint" entry -- 0x2 -- is a hexadecimal number that refers to the last checkpoint log. Therefore, any logs numbered E000001.log or earlier could be removed. If the checkpoint was 0x14C8, then logs numbered E0014C7.log or earlier could be removed.

If you're bother about erasing Exchange transaction logs , you can always compress them and move them offline instead.

HP

HI HP,

My location: C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V14\Bin

But i can not file folder MDBDATA or file E00.chk on that.

So i can not run as your recommend, could you please more advise ?

Thanks,

Tony

Friday, July 19, 2019 12:57 AM
  • Hi Tony,

Brows "C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V14\Bin" to access utility eseutil

Once you brows that folder run below command 

In above command "C:\Program Files\Exchsrvr\MDBDATA\E00.chk" is your log file path for database where you find E00.chk file is present.

HP

Friday, July 19, 2019 6:17 AM
  • Hi Tony,

Brows "C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V14\Bin" to access utility eseutil

Once you brows that folder run below command 

In above command "C:\Program Files\Exchsrvr\MDBDATA\E00.chk" is your log file path for database where you find E00.chk file is present.

HP

Hi Hardik,

Sorry for inconvenience,

It's show:

Initiating FILE DUMP mode...
          Checkpoint file: F:\Mailbox\Mailbox Database 0524881580\E00.chk

Checkpoint: (0x1D6D6C,80,0)
          FullBackup: (0x1D6AD0,8,16)
          FullBackup time: 07/18/2019 14:12:18
          IncBackup: (0x0,0,0)
          IncBackup time: 00/00/1900 00:00:00
          Signature: Create time:01/02/2012 23:56:12 Rand:1216697 Computer:
          Env (CircLog,Session,Opentbl,VerPage,Cursors,LogBufs,LogFile,Buffers)
              (    off,    752,  37600,  16384,  37600,   2048,   2048, 235918)

Operation completed successfully in 0.16 seconds.

What i can do it with my log?

Thanks,

Tony.

Monday, July 22, 2019 1:31 AM
  • Hi Tony,

Did you check the Event Viewer?

Some related event IDs may be generated, you can check those event logs for more information about why the old transaction logs are not truncated.

On the other hand, as Hardik_Patel_ mentioned, logs before E00001D6D6C.log should be removed. You can delete or move them to other place.

Regards,

Lydia Zhou

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, July 24, 2019 9:21 AM
  • Hi,

Sorry for delay response,

Yes above information says logs till E0xxx1D6D6C.log is committed to database you can move those logs to different location or delete it.

HP.

Wednesday, July 24, 2019 1:05 PM
  • Hi Tony,

Did you check the Event Viewer?

Some related event IDs may be generated, you can check those event logs for more information about why the old transaction logs are not truncated.

On the other hand, as Hardik_Patel_ mentioned, logs before E00001D6D6C.log should be removed. You can delete or move them to other place.

Regards,

Lydia Zhou

Hi Lydia,

Event viewer ---> System: I see Error

"The following fatal alert was received: 70." 36887 what does it mean?

Thanks for your feedback,

Tony

Thursday, July 25, 2019 6:17 AM
  • Hi,

Sorry for delay response,

Yes above information says logs till E0xxx1D6D6C.log is committed to database you can move those logs to different location or delete it.

HP.

HI Hardik,

Everyday, i lost 5-7 GB for log mail. (My exchange database between 2 mail server - DAG: fail 1, i only run 1 nodes).

I can not find the problems to release size for disk space. Atually, i really disappointed for that...

Thanks for all,

Tony

Thursday, July 25, 2019 6:20 AM
  • When you take full backup, does both database(Primary & Secondary ) is mounted ?

because it required both database mounted after finish full backup to clear OLD logs.

Find below thread may be it helps you.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/sharepoint/en-US/093b7a8b-d4e8-46d3-b8a0-b3546a08bd9a/exchange-2010-full-backups-with-windows-backup-not-clearing-transaction-logs?forum=windowsbackup

HP

Thursday, July 25, 2019 9:34 AM
  • When you take full backup, does both database(Primary & Secondary ) is mounted ?

because it required both database mounted after finish full backup to clear OLD logs.

Find below thread may be it helps you.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/sharepoint/en-US/093b7a8b-d4e8-46d3-b8a0-b3546a08bd9a/exchange-2010-full-backups-with-windows-backup-not-clearing-transaction-logs?forum=windowsbackup

HP

Hi Hardik,

Mailbox database between 2 server Mail2, Mail3. (DAG) (mail2 is die). So, when i run backup full VSS, it's only run on mail3 server. And log never to reduce....

Thanks,

Tony

Friday, July 26, 2019 4:09 AM
  • Hi Tony,

Can you provide detailed information about the error IDs related to backup in application logs? We may find some clues from the error events, and please don't forget to cover your personal information.

Regards,

Lydia Zhou

Tuesday, July 30, 2019 9:27 AM
  • Any updates so far?

If there is anything else we can do for you, please feel free to post in the forum.

Regards,

Lydia Zhou

Thursday, August 1, 2019 1:53 AM
  • Hi all,

I facing one issue disk size in Vmware Exchange is 1T1, but SAN is  1T8, I set thick for harddisk mount to vmware.

But when i reduce size in VMware, the size in Datastores can not reduce. Harddisk in Exchange server (Vmware) still normal. But size in datastores is warning, so i can not remove datacopies or movetarget new mailbox to backup ....

Thanks,

Tony

Monday, August 5, 2019 8:41 AM
  • Hi,

From your description, you can contact with the VMware provider to get more information about your VMware issues. If you need further help about Exchange server or have any updates to share, welcome to post back.

Regards,

Lydia Zhou

Wednesday, August 7, 2019 7:37 AM