none
Live Migration Fails RRS feed

• Question

• Whenever I try to move the VM the following error message appears: Live migration of 'Virtual Machine GameCache' failed. But with all other VMs the migration works. Does anyone know what the error could be?
    Wednesday, May 13, 2020 9:01 AM

All replies

• what is the configuration of the VM?  Are any physical resources assigned to it, i.e. physical disk?  Is there more information in the event log?  Is the VM processor configured for compatibility?

tim

Wednesday, May 13, 2020 2:54 PM
  • Hi Shmdi,

1. Please check the hyper V VMMS event log in Event Viewer>Applications and Services Logs>Microsoft>Windows Hyper V VMMS, check the detailed error message of the live migration.

2. Please check if the remote host has the same settings, such as virtual switch with the same name.

3. As a test, please try to use the VHD of the VM to create a new VM, then try to live migrate the test VM, check if it could work. 

Thanks for your time!

Best Regards,,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, May 14, 2020 2:41 AM
  • Check the detailed info in event logs as already mentioned by others. But I assume, this VM has local device connected/attached – cd-rom, iso image on local storage, usb passthrough or uses virtual switch, which name doesn’t correspond vswitch name on another host.

You can also improve live migration settings for all VMs following the guide - https://www.hyper-v.io/hyper-v-live-migrations-settings-ensure-best-performance/

Thursday, May 14, 2020 4:05 PM
  • Hi Shmdi,

I'd like to check how things are going on your side? If you need any additional assistance from our side, please feel free to feedback. If not, please mark useful reply as answer.

Thanks for your time!

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, May 21, 2020 5:49 AM