SCSM creates multiple CIs for workgroup computers imported from different connectors RRS feed

• Question

• My setup is the following:

Service Manager 2016 Update Rollup 5

Configuration Manager 1802

Operations Manager 2012 R2 Update Rollup 14

Connectors are AD (imports some users only), SCCM (chose 2012 in wizard, imports a collection of servers) and SCOM CI connector. After connectors run the CIs for domain-joined servers update as expected so that there is only one CI per server and has the information from both SCCM and SCOM, but for workgroup computers the SCCM connector creates a CI named HOSTNAME.WORKGROUP and the SCOM connector creates a different CI named HOSTNAME.

Any help would be appreciated.

Wednesday, December 12, 2018 8:18 AM

Answers

• You won't find a ready-to-go documentation of the mapping between SCOM and SCSM object properties.  It depends on the objects you are monitoring in SCOM and the related imported Management Packs in SCOM.

But you should be able to track which propertie of SCOM is used as Principal Name in SCSM by the connector. For that just check the History of a Computer CI where SCOM Connectors added a Computer CI.

Andreas Baumgarten

Wednesday, December 19, 2018 9:49 AM

All replies

• Hi,

see https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/7fe29208-ee33-44b4-a4de-7e9d6ad3228c/duplicated-cis-for-workgroup-servers?forum=connectors.

The Principal Name is the key property. In SCCM and SCOM your Workgroup Servers may have different Principal names.

Regards,

Stefan

More and news about System Center at stillcool.de and sc-orchestartor.eu .

Wednesday, December 12, 2018 8:28 AM
  • Thanks for the reply. It perfectly explains the cause of the issue, but how would I actually go about fixing it? Is there any supported way of modifying the connector's behavior regarding key construction? Or do I have to convince Microsoft that this is a bug in need of fixing?
    Wednesday, December 12, 2018 9:23 AM
  • Hi,

I have no Workgroup-Servers to check. But I would check in SCCM that is it not Hostname.Workgroup there.

If the primary primary dns suffix in Windows is "Workgroup" (?) I would ccheck if changing this will do the trick in SCCM.

I know no way to modify the connector. I would look if the SCOM CI connector has additional infos I would need and if not disable this connector.

Good luck!

Regards,

Stefan

More and news about System Center at stillcool.de and sc-orchestartor.eu .

Thursday, December 13, 2018 10:38 AM
  • In SCCM console the workgroup computer's name shows as HOSTNAME.

I checked the Primary DNS suffix on these workgroup servers and they're empty.

The SCOM CI connector does indeed have information that are useful for me so I cannot do without it.

In the link you previously posted one of the replies posts a link that shows the mapping between SCSM attributes and SCCM database views (https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh519741.aspx). If I understand the contents of that linked documentation correctly, when the system has no domain name SCSM will instead go out of its way and let the principal name be HOSTNAME.WORKGROUP.

I haven't yet found any documentation that shows the mapping between SCSM and SCOM but evidently it does not show the same naming behavior when it comes to workgroup computers. One idea I tried in hopes of getting around this is assuming the principal name of a workgroup SCOM computer would be based on the Subject part of the authentication certificate but that assumption was proven wrong (tried doing CN=HOSTNAME.WORKGROUP and also tried CN=HOSTNAME,DC=WORKGROUP).

This is really starting to seem like an oversight from Microsoft's part.

• Edited by A'ziz Sunday, December 16, 2018 6:33 AM grammar
    Sunday, December 16, 2018 6:33 AM
  • You won't find a ready-to-go documentation of the mapping between SCOM and SCSM object properties.  It depends on the objects you are monitoring in SCOM and the related imported Management Packs in SCOM.

But you should be able to track which propertie of SCOM is used as Principal Name in SCSM by the connector. For that just check the History of a Computer CI where SCOM Connectors added a Computer CI.

Andreas Baumgarten

Wednesday, December 19, 2018 9:49 AM