Are there any good tools from Microsoft or anywhere else to remove Symantec Antivirus Corporate Edition? RRS feed

• Question

• We're about to roll out Forefront to our user base, but we've run into the problem of removing Symantec Antivirus Corporate Edition.  It doesn't seem to uninstall very "cleanly".  NoNav doesn't seem to work very well, and I doubt that Symantec is going to want to send us the newest version of NoNav since our licensing has just expired.  

I figured this would be a good place to pose this question because I'm hoping that others have came across the same issues that we are.  We're running SAV version 10.1.5.5000 and scan engine 81.2.0.25. 

So are there any good tools that I can download or use that would be an effective method of removing SAV from our entire user base?  We have just over 400 clients.

Thanks in advance.
    Tuesday, October 7, 2008 12:47 PM

All replies

• There are some scripts here that could be useful  http://www.codeplex.com/fcscompete/Release/ProjectReleases.aspx?ReleaseId=7424 however I believe they are based on the Symantec Uninstaller working properly.
    CSS Security Support Engineer (FCS/MBSA/WUA/Incident Response)
    Tuesday, October 7, 2008 3:25 PM
  • Heh.. well, I'm basing my post on the assumption that it does not work correctly (at least 100% of the time).
    Tuesday, October 7, 2008 5:14 PM
  • I have used the scripts (for uninstalling Symantec) several times and they work fine.

The only thing you need to change is that the script detects installed symantec components using the registry and the aplication name is searches for is case sensetive. so LiveUpdate and liveupdate is considered different applications. so you have to make sure there is a case match in the script and in the registry.

Go for it!

/Johan
    Forefront MVP, MCSE | www.msforefront.com
    Wednesday, October 8, 2008 2:36 PM
  • So you haven't had any problems by simply removing it from the add/remove programs?  It seems like 3 out of the 4 that I've uninstalled so far have given me some odd errors, particularly when using Office (Outlook mostly).  I suppose the computers that I tried uninstalling it needed a reformat anyway, but.. it should uninstall cleanly from the control panel?  
    Wednesday, October 8, 2008 4:39 PM