Unable to copy any files RRS feed

• Question

• I have had an ongoing issue for a while now but I need to have it fixed. I cannot copy and paste any files on my computer. Any time I do it gives me a error message and restarts windows. I ran my computer in safe mode and it did not let me copy files then either. It doesn't matter if i copy with the keyboard or the mouse it will not work. i ran the scan in the command prompt and it came back saying everything was good. I do not have an previous points to restore my computer to as well. Any help or ideas where to go from here would be great. Thanks.

Monday, October 10, 2016 11:04 PM

All replies

• you mentioned there was an error message when you tried to copy and paste

what's the error?

Monday, October 10, 2016 11:47 PM
  • This is the Windows explorer box that is displayed as soon as I try to copy anything:

Windows Explorer has stopped working

Windows is checking for a solution to the problem...

Then after about 3 secs it says this:

Windows Explorer is restarting...

Thanks for the reply. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Tuesday, October 11, 2016 2:45 AM
  • Hello;

This issue can be caused due to any of the following issues:

-You may be using an outdated or corrupted video driver

- System files on your PC may be corrupt or mismatched with other files

- You may have a Virus or Malware infection on your PC 

- Some applications or services running on your PC may be causing Windows Explorer to stop working

Follow these steps to troubleshoot the pb 

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/kb/2694911

Wednesday, October 12, 2016 3:38 AM
  • Hi,

I found an article may help you, please refer to the link:

Cannot Drag or Copy and Paste File

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/309662

In addition, I also found several users who had the similar issue as yours, they gave the advices may help you, please refer to the link:

Unable to copy & paste on my Windows 7

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-performance/unable-to-copy-paste-on-my-windows-7/8c897914-c94c-e011-8dfc-68b599b31bf5

Best Regards,

Tao

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, October 12, 2016 9:43 AM
  • I have looked through and tried the suggestions that both of you have shared with no luck. I will list what I have tried so far. I can copy and paste text anywhere but no files anywhere on any drive.

1)Tried copy and paste with the mouse and then with the keyboard.

2)Tried copying different files in different locations in case they were corrupt.

4)Fully updated Windows.

5)Ran a free virus scan provided by McAfee Security

6)Changed the Java Console to Show Console as directed.

7)I've tried copying files after going through C:\users\Account Name\Docs ect

8)Rebooted the computer in Safe Mode and still unable to copy files

9)Tried using either of the CTRL keys

10)I believe all drivers were updated when I did all the Windows Updates that it gave me as options?

11)Ran the Sfc /scannow with no problems given.

12)Did the RAM memory test, it rebooted and did the test and I logged in during the next morning but it didn't give me the results of it. Said while it doing the test that the results would be shown after its done and you log in.

13)Changed the folder options to "Always show Icons, never thumbnail" and removed the check for "Display file icon on thumbnails"

14)I have no past restore points to restore the computer to.

15)I DID NOT restart the computer in a Clean Boot Environment as I did not have any problem changing things or installing the windows updates. 

I might be missing some of the things I have tried but this is what I can remember off hand. One of the recommendations is to reinstall windows but the computer new did not have a disc and I don't remember having any Windows key to do this either. If I was to reinstall windows or upgrade it will I lose all the files and pictures that I cannot copy right now?

Any more help with this problem would be great. I do have external drives that I would like to get my files/pics onto then I can be done with this old computer and get a new one. Is there any way to remove the files/pics if I don't need the computer any more? If I removed the hard drive can I plug it into a different computer and remove the files or would it most likely give me more errors or cause damage to the other computer?

Sorry I've asked quite a few different questions in one response. Thanks!

Friday, October 14, 2016 12:45 AM
  • Hi,

We haven’t heard from you for a couple of days, have you solved the problem? We are looking forward to your good news.

Best Regards,

Tao

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, October 18, 2016 7:45 AM
  • No I still have not found out how to be able to copy any file off of my computer or a way to put everything on a external hard drive in order to factory reset it. Any more suggestions would be great!

Thanks

Thursday, October 20, 2016 10:35 PM
  • After my research, it seems that there is something wrong with your system, I'm afraid your best bet is clean install.

Monday, October 24, 2016 1:23 AM
  • Thanks for the advice. How can I go about to save the files and pictures that I currently have and complete a clean install?

Thanks

Friday, October 28, 2016 4:40 PM