Active Window Bring To Front bug RRS feed

• Question

• Recently, 'special' windows like services.msc, Event Viewer, NIC adapter properties etc. refuse to come to front on mouse click after focus has been lost.

The  X(close) and _(minimise) button animations/effects react to mouse-overs , but do nothing on mouse clicks. The only way to make these windows active again is by selecting them via the taskbar.

Normal folders and applications are unaffected. I'm presuming it's a registry setting to remedy this, but Googling this issue reveals nada. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Win7 Ult 64bit SP1

i7 920

12GB DDR3

Friday, March 8, 2013 9:01 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I suggest you following steps to narrow down the issue.

Update the anti-virus application to the latest version and then scan the whole computer

Run Windows Safe Mode 

1) Detach all unnecessary peripheral devices from your computer, such as printers, scanners and removable storage devices.

2) Restart the computer.

3) Keep pressing the F8 key until the Windows Startup menu appears.

4) Choose Safe Mode, and press Enter.

5) Test the issue in Safe Mode to see if the issue still exists.

Note: In Safe Mode, your system display and Desktop will look and perform differently than in Normal Mode. This is only temporary.

If the issue does not occur in safe mode, let’s try a Clean Boot to test the issue.

Start Windows in Clean Boot mode

Note: You must be logged on as an administrator or a member of the Administrators group to complete this procedure.

1) Click Start.

2) Copy and paste "msconfig" (without the quotation marks) in the Start Search box, and click Enter.

3) Switch to Services tab and then Check Hide All Microsoft Services.

4) Click Disable All.

5) Switch to the Startup tab and then Click Disable all.

6) Click OK.

7) Click Restart to restart the computer and test the issue.

Also, use System File Checker tool to scan the system files.

More reference:

How to perform a clean boot to troubleshoot a problem in Windows Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 8

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Hope this helps.

Vincent Wang
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, March 12, 2013 3:28 AM