none
How to use MS Project for Agile projects RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am working in MS Project 2016 desktop version.

I am using MS Project to keep track of a portfolio of projects with multiple resources assigned to several projects. Our projects are oftened moved, reduced or increased in scope (effort), time and resources. Initially, I had entered planned work in hours in the resource usage view, and then used actual work to show differences to plan. However, when I update actual work, MS Project automatically updates planned work data for the following months (so to keep the total work the same). I need the tool to be a bit more flexible.

I am not sure what is the best setting for my needs - should I use fixed work, fixed duration, or fixed units? Or are there any other settings that will give me the flexiblity I need?

The taks are set to fixed units now, they are manually scheduled and not effort driven.

I know that the work, duration and units don't add up in my case - I know that many of my resources are overallocated, but the purpose of my work it to highlight those overallocations, so that management are better equipped when prioritising projects. We are not using the tool for actual project management.

Br.

Anne

Tuesday, April 10, 2018 8:17 AM

All replies

• Hello AnneRyder

Ever project manager has a different strategy for doing this.  My suggestion is the following

1) Change all task to AutoSchedule and also update the OPTIONS to use AutoSchedule as default.  When using manual schedule, it is like using Excel and not getting the benefits of project

2) During the planning phase, I use Fixed Units or Fixed Duration.   However, once the plan is complete and ready for execution, I change all the tasks to Fixed Work, because Fixed Work, locks done the resource load anticipated for each resource.

Michael Wharton, MVP, MBA, PMP, MCT, MCTS, MCSD, MCSE+I, MCDBA
    Website http://www.WhartonComputer.com
    Blog http://MyProjectExpert.com contains my field notes and SQL queries

Tuesday, April 10, 2018 10:47 AM