Database connection SPD 2010 to MSSQL 2008R2 RRS feed

• Question

• We have upgraded from SP2007 to SP2010.

In SP2007 I created an external dBase connection to my MSSQL2005 dBase and this connection still works.

I now have an MSSQL2008 dBase running on a Server2008 box and am unable to make an external connection via SPD2010.

"Server error: an error occurred while retrieving the list of Database from ABC: The data retrieval service encountered an error during connection to the data source. Contact the server administrator for more information."

As far as I can tell everything is setup the same way on the 2008 server as it is setup on the 2005 server.

Any ideas?

Monday, June 16, 2014 9:01 PM

All replies

• Check if there is any NW issue with between servers

Disable firewall on both servers

Use UDL file and check if you can connect to that server

Check if it works when you use SP defualt DB server

If this helped you resolve your issue, please mark it Answered

Tuesday, June 17, 2014 9:18 AM
  • Unfortunately, I am an end user of the SP service and have no direct access to the SP servers.

I have, however, tried disabling the firewall on MY dBase server to no avail.

I have done a comparative analysis of the services running on both server, the MSSQL settings, user settings, etc.  Everything appears to be setup the same way on both servers (except the 2008 server has a few additional inconsequential settings). 

Thursday, June 19, 2014 4:46 PM
  • Sounds like a permissions issue. You should contact the database administrator to pull the error logs and resolve any issues preventing you from connecting.

Thursday, June 19, 2014 7:01 PM
  • On a recommendation from another colleague I reviewed the IP assignments for both systems.

My system that DOES connect properly is assigned to an IP_172.20.XX.XX address.  The system that will NOT connect is assigned to an IP_172.21.XX.XX address.

We contacted the SP server admins and requested they attempt to PING our IP_172.21.XX.XX and they were NOT able to PING successfully.

Looks like I need to contact my local IS folks and try to get them to reassign my new server to an IP_172.20.XX.XX address or otherwise open the IP_172.21.XX.XX network to SP.

I KNEW it had to be something BASIC!

Thursday, June 19, 2014 10:08 PM