NPS and AudioCodes Gateway RRS feed

• Question

• Does anyone have any experience using NPS and AudioCodes Gateway's, specifically the Mediant 3K?  I was told by AudioCodes that version 6.6 fully supports RADIUS authentication with any RADIUS client, but when I set it up within NPS I recieve the following error in the Event Viewer:

--

Authentication Details:
    Connection Request Policy Name: M3KConnection
    Network Policy Name: -
    Authentication Provider: Windows
    Authentication Server: QSEC-DC2.qsec.local
    Authentication Type: PAP
    EAP Type: -
    Account Session Identifier: -
    Logging Results: Accounting information was written to the local log file.
    Reason Code: 16
    Reason: Authentication failed due to a user credentials mismatch. Either the user name provided does not map to an existing user account or the password was incorrect.

--

I have attached some screen shots of my setup.

I know that the passwords are correct, I don't know where else to go.  I have contacted AudioCodes and they provided no assistance.

Thanks for any help

Tuesday, August 28, 2012 12:11 PM

Answers

• Hi Harris,

Thanks for the reply.

From the description, you said that the third party device only supports PAP, so please change your authentication mode to PAP of the Connection Request Policy you set for it.

• Click the Policy "M3KNetowrk", then click the Tab "Settings".
    • Remove any other authentication mode, only check "Unencrypted authentication(PAP, SPAP)
    • Then restart the NPS server, and try again.

After that, please check the NPS logs to see if the error still persists or not.

Thanks for your time.

Best Regards,

Annie

• Marked as answer by Aiden_Cao Tuesday, September 11, 2012 8:49 AM
    Thursday, September 6, 2012 8:16 AM

All replies

• Third and forth screen shots.

Tuesday, August 28, 2012 12:11 PM
  • Hi B.Harris,

Thanks for posting here.

If we were able to get the error message about failed authentication form NPS then I’d believe that the settings of RADIUS clients and connection request policy was just fine, however due to some reasons .According to the error code (16) on NPS , system was refuse the incoming requests cos the incorrect credential form clients which were attempt to access this VOIP device.

So could we first make sure the users were providing the proper account credentials which were belong to either domain users , domain admins or ICAdmins group ? or perhaps we can just test by adding all domain users into the condition on NPS and see how is going .

Regards,

Tiger Li

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact  tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tiger Li

TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, August 29, 2012 6:04 AM
  • Hi B.Harris,

Please feel free to let us know if the information was helpful to you.

Regards,

Tiger Li

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum
    If you have any feedback on our support, please contact  tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tiger Li

TechNet Community Support

Thursday, August 30, 2012 7:12 AM
  • I changed the passwords on the user accounts to verify that they were correct and added just Domain Users to the policy and I am still receiving the exact same result.  

New Information:  I found out that the device only supports PAP, are PAP only devices compatible with W2K8R2?  Also in my Event Viewer it is showing the Nework Policy Name as -.  I believe that the information is not being passed to the correct policy.  Attached is a screenshot of the error.  Thanks for your assistance.

Thursday, August 30, 2012 1:23 PM
  • Hi Harris,

Thanks for the reply.

From the description, you said that the third party device only supports PAP, so please change your authentication mode to PAP of the Connection Request Policy you set for it.

• Click the Policy "M3KNetowrk", then click the Tab "Settings".
    • Remove any other authentication mode, only check "Unencrypted authentication(PAP, SPAP)
    • Then restart the NPS server, and try again.

After that, please check the NPS logs to see if the error still persists or not.

Thanks for your time.

Best Regards,

Annie

• Marked as answer by Aiden_Cao Tuesday, September 11, 2012 8:49 AM
    Thursday, September 6, 2012 8:16 AM
  • Hi Harris,

I would like to know if you have any update about this issue.

Thanks for your time.

Annie

Tuesday, September 11, 2012 6:18 AM
  • Yes I followed your instructions changes authentication method to PAP,SPAP and I receive the same error as previously stated.
    Thursday, September 20, 2012 8:36 PM
  • Hello B.Harris,

Were you able to get this resolved? I'm running into the same issue.

Thanks,

PK

Wednesday, October 10, 2012 2:12 AM
  • If you are using HTTPS for the access method to the web interface,  you have to set the HTTP Authentication Mode to "Basic Mode"  under System -> Management -> WEB Security Settings.

If you are using the other setting, which is digest authentication, something in the 6.6 code doesn't work right and you end up with what looks like a bad password event in the NPS logs.

• Proposed as answer by tslaikjer Friday, October 10, 2014 1:00 PM
    Thursday, March 21, 2013 6:24 PM
  • Hi Mark,

Nice, you made my day.

Had the exact same problem, and I was able to access the device using telnet (lucky me).

After changing the http auth setting to basic, I could access the web config as well.

Torben

Friday, October 10, 2014 1:00 PM