Outlook Pro 2016 uses autoconfigure, but my email provider requires manual entry of exchange server. Can't install. RRS feed

• Question

• I was using Office Pro 2016, Outlook client to send and receive email from my provider: kolabnow.com. The name to their exchange server was apps.kolabnow.com. Last week, incoming mail stopped coming in. I contacted kolabnow.com tech support, and we determined that because I could still check email on android platform, on iOS platform, and on web browser client that their exchange server was working fine. I tried to "repair" my install, I deleted my sync info on kolabnow.com, and in frustration, deleted the account and tried to reinstall on Office Pro 2016. I now get a dumbed down wizard run by "outlook.com".

The problem is that Outlook Pro 2016 only uses this wizard. It says it offers a "manually configure" option, but in fact, always run an auto configure script, times out, and says, " try another email type or contact your system administrator". I don't have a system administrator, I'm the only guy here.

I've tried both exchange and outlook.com setup choices with the same result. I don't want to set up IMAP or POP because I'm syncing across several devices. Kolabnow.com says, "We can't duplicate your problem here, call MS tech support". I did. Four people, over an hour, only to be told that this is an "enterprise level problem" (one user, one machine, local installation of the software) and so I have to pay $499 to talk to someone that may be able to help. The entire software package cost less than $400... so, they said I should ask the forum instead. So, forum... does anyone know how to defeat the setup wizard that is invoking my virtual domain name instead of allowing me to manually install the actual domain of apps.kolabnow.com that kolabnow.com is saying I have to point to? Any help would be appreciated... particularly if it costs less than $499. 

Tuesday, September 26, 2017 7:26 PM

All replies

• I am having the same exact problem for a different domain. Microsoft seemed to remove the "manual configuration options" in some update. Someone please help! 
    Wednesday, September 27, 2017 1:04 AM
  • Hi survhant,

Thanks for visiting our forum.

Based on my research, this is a change from Outlook 2013 that if we want to use Outlook 2016 with an Exchange account, we'll need to let Outlook set the account up automatically. This is because Outlook 2016 retrieves Exchange connectivity settings directly from AutoDiscover instead of the registry, making profiles more reliable, but that also makes AutoDiscover a required feature. For more information, please check the TechNet's What's new for administrators in Outlook 2016 for Windows.

Hope the above information can be helpful.

Best regards,
    Yuki Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, September 29, 2017 2:31 AM
  • Please "manual configuration options" isn't manual at all, it still tries to connect. I need a Manual option! 

• Edited by Onedutch Friday, October 6, 2017 1:01 PM
    Friday, October 6, 2017 1:00 PM