none
Sync Project 2010 with Exchange 2010 problems RRS feed

• Question

• I fallowed instruction from this page http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff468700.aspx and this page http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff793352.aspx to configure sync between Project 2010 and Exchange 2010

1.       I set up pwa just like page is saying

2.       I get service account of application pool

3.       I tried to set permissions on Exchange

Add-ADPermission -Identity (get-exchangeserver).DaistinguishedName -User (Get-User -Identity DOMAIN\sharepoint_admin | select-object).identity -extendedRights ms-Exch-EPI-Impersonation

New-ManagementRoleAssignment -Name ProjectServerExchangeIntegration -Role applicationImpersonation -User DOMAIN \sharepoint_admin

Add-ADPermission -Identity "OSD\SomeUser" -User " DOMAIN \sharepoint_admin"-extendedRights ms-Exch-EPI-May-Impersonate

When I execute last command I get this error:

This error is not retriable. Additional information: Access is denied.

Active directory response: 00000005: SecErr: DSID-0315202A, problem 4003 (INSUFF_ACCESS_RIGHTS), data 0

After this error I followed this instructions (http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-GB/exchangesvrdevelopment/thread/1ccff675-5112-4ac2-910f-6e7f30f74f6b) to add permissions to all users and this was succeed but there is no sync.  On Project server there is only one project error (The account does not have permission to impersonate the requested user) but this entry was written couple hours before (when I started to configure all sync stuff) and after this there is no errors but there is no results either – my outlook tasks are empty. I have checked queue setting in PWA and there is sync error but this is also old error and I don't see any attempts to resync again after this error? I have tried to restart Project Server machine but with no results. Where can I find info about sync process – what is the frequency of sync process? Where can I find info about attempt to sync and some logs? Any ideas how to fix this? Any way to force sync again?

Tuesday, February 15, 2011 5:56 PM

Answers

• I am sorry for the confusion .

Typo error:   *****In exchange server -->Open IIS -->Click on the Website -->Get the self signed certificate (or) Go to Bindings of any of the site and extract the certificate --> Move the certificate to Project Server application server-->Add it into Trusted root advisors *****

Most of the customer's server certificate and EWS URL's certificates are different, so for troubleshooting purpose suggested to add both of them into your project server trusted root advisors.

According to your issue description, since there was no error in the queue, you may need to look the following areas.

As per your first post, there was no error in the Queue at the same time no tasks in the outlook. - Have you checked the 'Manage Queue - Success' jobs?

Just create a project and add a resource which has sync tasks enabled. Assign a tasks and publish the project plan. Check the manage queue and observe the status.

What is the frequency of sync process? Where can I find info about attempt to sync and some logs? - Whenever you assign a tasks to the resources and publish the project plan, it will initiate the job and push it to exchange server intern to Outllook. And when the resources submits actual work, the exchange server will send an alert to Project server, then the project server will initiate a job to fetch the data from exchange server.

Cheers. Happy troubleshooting !!! Sriram E - MSFT Enterprise Project Management
    • Marked as answer by dominikj Tuesday, February 22, 2011 12:30 PM
    Tuesday, February 22, 2011 5:00 AM

All replies

• Have you enabled the specific user account in Project Server to sync to Outlook?

Click on the user and confirm the Sync to Exchange box is selected.

Andrew Lavinsky [MVP] Twitter: @alavinsky

Tuesday, February 15, 2011 6:54 PM
  • I configured everything from instructions above - enable sync with Exchange, add Exchange account and enable sync in user profile.
    Tuesday, February 15, 2011 7:55 PM
  • Dominik:

Please verify that this is not the problem that you are seeing:

http://www.projectserverhelp.com/Lists/Posts/Post.aspx?ID=131

Gary Chefetz, MCITP, MCP, MVP msProjectExperts
    Project and Project ServerFAQs
    Project Server Help BLOG
    Wednesday, February 16, 2011 4:36 PM
  •  

I have two more clues for possible reason of sync problem:

1.       In our Exchange we have certificate with some issues it is signed to domain xxx.yyy and exchange server is on computer zzz.xxx.yyy. This causes problem when using clients like outlook – every user had to accept warning about this cert. I installed this cert on SharePoint server in “Trusted Root Certifivates” and after this I have this errors in logs:

Certificate enrollment for Local system failed to enroll for a Machine certificate with request ID N/A from STR2008DC1.intranet.azymut.pl\intranet-STR2008DC1-CA (The RPC server is unavailable. 0x800706ba (WIN32: 1722)).

Automatic certificate enrollment for local system failed (0x800706ba) The RPC server is unavailable.

2.       When I tried to use command described in article http://www.projectserverhelp.com/Lists/Posts/Post.aspx?ID=131 I’m getting this error

[PS] C:\Windows\system32>add-adpermission -identity "adminsdholder" -user osd\sharepoint_admin -extendedrights ms-exch-e

pi-may-impersonate

Active Directory operation failed on STR2008DC1.intranet.azymut.pl. This error is not retriable. Additional information

: Access is denied.

Active directory response: 00000005: SecErr: DSID-031521D0, problem 4003 (INSUFF_ACCESS_RIGHTS), data 0

+ CategoryInfo          : WriteError: (0:Int32) [Add-ADPermission], ADOperationException

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : 3472627D,Microsoft.Exchange.Management.RecipientTasks.AddADPermission

I execute it as admin. I tried to find out how to fix this but I can’t figure it out.

Friday, February 18, 2011 2:47 PM
  • Try this: In exchange server -->Open IIS -->Click on the Website -->Get the self signed certificate

Go to Bindings of any of the site and extract the certificate --> Move the certificate to PSVR-->Add it into Trusted root advisors

Later try again....

Friday, February 18, 2011 3:12 PM
  • hmmm... I don't quite sure that I understand it right... You propose to:

1. Generate new self signed certificate on cxchange machine

2. Go to bindings of any site and extract cert... I don't know what do you mean by this... I can export certificate in the same place where I generated certificate but why I must go to bindings and looking something there?

3. I don't know what it is PSVR ;)... Do you mean -> Internet Explorer -> Internet Options -> Content -> Certificates -> Trusted Root Certification Authorities (I can't find 'Trusted root advisors')

I don't quite understand how adding new cert which is not connected with anything can help - maybe I don't get your post right?

Saturday, February 19, 2011 11:06 AM
  • I am sorry for the confusion .

Typo error:   *****In exchange server -->Open IIS -->Click on the Website -->Get the self signed certificate (or) Go to Bindings of any of the site and extract the certificate --> Move the certificate to Project Server application server-->Add it into Trusted root advisors *****

Most of the customer's server certificate and EWS URL's certificates are different, so for troubleshooting purpose suggested to add both of them into your project server trusted root advisors.

According to your issue description, since there was no error in the queue, you may need to look the following areas.

As per your first post, there was no error in the Queue at the same time no tasks in the outlook. - Have you checked the 'Manage Queue - Success' jobs?

Just create a project and add a resource which has sync tasks enabled. Assign a tasks and publish the project plan. Check the manage queue and observe the status.

What is the frequency of sync process? Where can I find info about attempt to sync and some logs? - Whenever you assign a tasks to the resources and publish the project plan, it will initiate the job and push it to exchange server intern to Outllook. And when the resources submits actual work, the exchange server will send an alert to Project server, then the project server will initiate a job to fetch the data from exchange server.

• Marked as answer by dominikj Tuesday, February 22, 2011 12:30 PM
    Tuesday, February 22, 2011 5:00 AM