Change Non-System Notification Area Icon Behaviour via Group Policy RRS feed

• Question

• I have seen lots of solutions that will let me define the behaviour of system icons(Action Centre, Clock etc) but I want to change the display behaviour of non system icons via group policy.

I do not want the Antivirus icon hidden at any time as I want to be able see at a glance whether a user has his AV installed and up to date.  Is it possible to accomplish this with group policy?
    Monday, February 8, 2010 4:48 PM

Answers

• First, I would like to share you a useful link:  

Group Policy Settings for Start Menu and Taskbar

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee617162(WS.10).aspx 

After reading the link, you should know we can't modify the Non-system notification icons' behaviour via GPO, while if you want to make the Anti-Virus icon works like in Vista, you can run it in the "Windows Vista" compatible mode, in that case, it will be displayed in notification tray area icon like it runs in Vista. To run it in compatible mode, you just need right-click the exe. file and choose Properties----Compatibility tab--click Change settings for all users---check the "Run this program in compatibility mode for" -----choose "Windows Vista"--Click OK to save the settings.

After that, your Anti-virus program would show in the taskbar, if you want to deploy the setting for many computers, you can try to find a script file to manager the Anti-virus compatible setting.

Good luck!

John
    • Marked as answer by Linda Yan Wednesday, February 10, 2010 7:15 AM
    Tuesday, February 9, 2010 6:50 AM