Windows Explorer has stopped working...Restarting RRS feed

• Question

• Windows Explorer has been crashing (and restarting) on me when I try to move files around, from folder to folder, or one hard drive to the other. It also randomly crashes when I right-click on items I keep on my desktop.

This is a Retail Vista Business. I was running RC2 before I got the retail version and never had any problems.

I have an Intel motherboard, 3ghz processor, ATI 9800 Pro 256mb, 1gb RAM, and an old school Creative sound card.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Wednesday, February 7, 2007 5:10 AM

Answers

• Hi there,

I have the exact same problem. Vista Business RTM (upgraded from XP Pro).

I sometimes need to copy files from one mapped drive to another and it crashes every time I make another window active.

Basically, I am able to open the mapped drive up, select all files, copy them and when I open my other mapped drive (another window) or just switch over to another application that explorer window have stopped responding.

This is driving me insane, please help!

Regards,

David

Thursday, February 8, 2007 12:47 PM
  • Well, I think I might have found the issue. I uninstalled the xvid codec and I haven't had the issue pop up anymore. I hope that helps.

Pico

Friday, February 9, 2007 5:46 PM

All replies

• Hi there,

I have the exact same problem. Vista Business RTM (upgraded from XP Pro).

I sometimes need to copy files from one mapped drive to another and it crashes every time I make another window active.

Basically, I am able to open the mapped drive up, select all files, copy them and when I open my other mapped drive (another window) or just switch over to another application that explorer window have stopped responding.

This is driving me insane, please help!

Regards,

David

Thursday, February 8, 2007 12:47 PM
  • Well, I think I might have found the issue. I uninstalled the xvid codec and I haven't had the issue pop up anymore. I hope that helps.

Pico

Friday, February 9, 2007 5:46 PM
  • How were you able to do this? I can not get it into the control panel before I get the error message again and ti restarts.
    Tuesday, March 20, 2007 12:40 AM
  • Try going through the Start button >> Run >> type "control panel" (without quotes)...It might also be from an outdated sound card. I still have the problem, but it isn't as frequent as it was before. I'm hoping a new sound card will do the trick.
    Wednesday, March 28, 2007 3:33 AM