none
Project Pro 2010 SP2 - Baseline work rollup issue RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Guys,

Here is what looks like a bug with Project Pro 2010. I've seen other thread describing similar issues but not answers.

Below the steps to reproduce it:

• Create a plan with 3 tasks with work/resources and the summary task,
    • Baseline the entire plan,

• Enter actual work for the tasks (5, 2 and 10 days),
    • Update the remaining work (5, 8 and 10 days),

So far all is ok:

• Then insert a new task (like a change request),
    • Enter a duration, resource and work,
    • Baseline the new plan with only the new task.

To be continued..

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MCP, MCTS |

Thursday, September 11, 2014 7:37 PM

All replies

• Logically the summary baseline work should be the initial baselined work (25+10+15=50 days) plus the 20 days, thus 70 days whereas I got 65 days. 

NOTE: do not take into account the baseline work column in the second screenshot.

Hope this helps,

Thursday, September 11, 2014 7:43 PM
  • But you didn't select to rollup the baseline?  How did you get from 50 hours of baseline work in the first picture to 65 hours of baseline work?

After performing your steps I have:

Thursday, September 11, 2014 7:58 PM
  • Hi Julie and thanks for you answer.

First of all, do not consider the 65 hrs in the second picture (I updated the picture to delete the column). I made the screenshot later in the process.

I could reproduce the bug with colleagues on other machine and also with users. If we change the order of the steps, the bug cannot be reproduced. If we don't enter actual or update remaining work, the bug cannot be reproduced neither.

The issue is that I have 50 hr for the baseline work. No matter of changes I bring to actual, work and remaining work, I should have 70 hrs for the baseline work after adding the selected task since it has 20 hrs of work.

And I did select the rollup option.

Hope this helps,

Thursday, September 11, 2014 9:04 PM
  • Guillaume,

Not that it really matters, but how do you get from days to hours? All the screenshots show work in days but some of the accompanying verbiage magically changes them to hours. Just so you know I'm paying attention :-)

Kidding aside, I get the same results you do. And just to make sure it isn't a display issue, I queried the summary task baseline work value via VBA and it also gives the same erroneous result. However, if you first set the baseline on the added task, (and elect not to update the summary lines), and then separately update the baseline on the summary line, the value is updated correctly.

Looks like a bug to me. I'll get my can of Raid.

John

Friday, September 12, 2014 2:56 AM
  • Hi John,

Good catch indeed! After Julie's answer, days became hours magically, sorry for the confusion!

Thanks anyway for the confirmation and the workaround. I'll see if it is worth reporting this bug to MS.

Hope this helps,

Friday, September 12, 2014 11:10 AM
  • Thanks for the clarification that you did roll up the baseline to the summary tasks.  I can now reproduce the error.  If you'd like, I can send the error through internal channels to Microsoft.  Let me know.  If you have a premium support account, your route may be faster towards resolution.
    Friday, September 12, 2014 1:08 PM
  • Hi Julie,

Since I don't have a premium support account, I'd appreciated if you can send the error, that would be extremely kind!

In the mean time, we'll create a VBA macro to recalculate the baseline summary tasks.

Hope this helps,

Friday, September 12, 2014 1:22 PM
  • I'll send it along.  You say that the error does not occur if you do not update actual and remaining work, correct?
    Friday, September 12, 2014 7:34 PM
  • That's correct Julie! Thanks for the support!

Hope this helps,

Friday, September 12, 2014 7:39 PM
  • Odd.  I just tried to reproduce the error using different values and it now appears to work as expected.  Just for clarification - can you make the error appear using any values or just the specific values you specified? Does it appear if you use fewer tasks or more tasks?

I also did just get an update this morning - but I don't believe there were any Project updates included.

Friday, September 12, 2014 7:57 PM
  • I also had trouble to reproduce the case with others values. I don't have Project right now but I'd try to do further tests. 

Hope this helps,

Friday, September 12, 2014 8:44 PM
  • Thanks keep me posted and I'll send the full data internally once we have it sorted out.
    Saturday, September 13, 2014 12:38 AM
  • Hi Julie,

Here is what I found so far. Before inserting the new task AND keeping the same numbers than in my example:

• If I do not update actual and remaining work, no bug,
    • If I do update only actual work, no bug,
    • If I do update actual work and remaining work only for 1 or 2 of the 3 tasks, no bug,
    • If I do update actual and remaining work for ALL tasks, then I got the bug.

Strangley, I'm not able to reproduce the bug using different numbers. And I can't spot out which step trigger the bug, since we agree that it could not be the combination of the numbers.

Quite a capricious bug, isn't it?

Hope this helps,

Monday, September 15, 2014 1:15 PM