Word search in Word 2010 not as friendly as it used to be RRS feed

• Question

• When I do a simple search now in MS Word, I don't see my search results highlighted like I used to. I just see, on the left, a bunch of page icons presumably of pages that have my search item on them. But, this is no help. I want to see what I'm searching for directly on the page(s). Is there some sort of new flag or something in the new Word for this functionality?

Thanks,

Peter

Tuesday, March 29, 2011 3:35 PM

Answers

• Thanks a lot, Jay. Yes, I've been using the "advanced search" a lot, because I've been doing a lot of pretty complex replaces. But, I played around with this some more and I discovered that, if I choose the left-moat of those icons in the search menu, I do indeed see my search items highlighted. Nice yellow highlights. And, whenever I press Return thereafter, I see the next one and the next one and so on.

Cheers,

Peter

• Marked as answer by David Wolters Wednesday, March 30, 2011 1:22 PM
    Wednesday, March 30, 2011 11:42 AM

All replies

• On Tue, 29 Mar 2011 15:35:40 +0000, pb4072 wrote:

When I do a simple search now in MS Word, I don't see my search results highlighted like I used to. I just see, on the left, a bunch of page icons presumably of pages that have my search item on them. But, this is no help. I want to see what I'm searching for directly on the page(s). Is there some sort of new flag or something in the new Word for this functionality?

Thanks,

Peter

At the top of the pane are three tabs with icons on them. Apparently you have
    the center tab selected, which displays thumbnails of the pages where the
    search item was found. For many documents this display is useless.

Instead, click the rightmost of the three tabs (the tooltip when the mouse is
    over it says "Browse the results ofrom your current search"). This shows a
    series of boxes with the finds in context. Click any one of them to be taken
    to that occurrence in the main document display.

If you want the old search dialog instead of the navigation pane, click the
    down arrow at the right end of the box where you entered the search term, and
    choose Advanced Find.

--
    Regards,
    Jay Freedman
    Microsoft Word MVP        FAQ: http://word.mvps.org
    Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the newsgroup so all may benefit.

Jay Freedman
    MS Word MVP  FAQ: http://word.mvps.org
    Wednesday, March 30, 2011 1:55 AM
  • Thanks a lot, Jay. Yes, I've been using the "advanced search" a lot, because I've been doing a lot of pretty complex replaces. But, I played around with this some more and I discovered that, if I choose the left-moat of those icons in the search menu, I do indeed see my search items highlighted. Nice yellow highlights. And, whenever I press Return thereafter, I see the next one and the next one and so on.

Cheers,

Peter

• Marked as answer by David Wolters Wednesday, March 30, 2011 1:22 PM
    Wednesday, March 30, 2011 11:42 AM