none
Task Sequence Wizard displays after OS install

Question

• I just updated MDT and the ADK for Windows 10 1709. I've noticed that when I run a task sequence to install an image (intiated via WDS), after the OS install and reboot, the Windows Deployment Wizard displays again and asks which task sequence I would like to run. The first time I noticed this, it was on a task sequence that I had made a copy of by copying the xml files, so I thought it was a result of that. I created a new task sequence without any copying and it does the same thing. In both cases, if I click through the wizard, it keeps going and finishes the sequence, but it shouldn't be displaying that wizard twice like this. In the second task sequence that I created, I used the Standard Client Task sequence template and the only thing I changed was the OS image to install and removed application installation. Anyone have ideas on how to fix this? 

Windows Deployment Wizard

MDT 6.3.8450.1000

Server 2012 R2 with Windows Deployment Services

Thursday, January 18, 2018 7:08 PM

Answers

• You'll need to update your deployment share, completely regenerate your boot images, and import the new boot image into WDS.

The new MDT 8450 and ADK 1709 seem to require this, otherwise you'll see this exact issue.

• Proposed as answer by Bongoo Monday, January 22, 2018 2:01 PM
    • Marked as answer by Ty GlanderModerator Tuesday, January 23, 2018 1:40 AM
    Monday, January 22, 2018 9:56 AM

All replies

• I haven't seen this behavior yet, would you mind sharing your BDD.log?

Cheers,
    Anton

Vacuum Breather Blog | Wing Commander Saga | Twitter

Note: Posts are provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind. If posts are helpful please don't forget to rate them as "Helpful" or as "Answer".

Thursday, January 18, 2018 10:08 PM
  • We also updated to MDT 6.3.8450.1000 and ADK 1709 and after that we observe the exact same behaviour. 

The second wizard already contains the correct computername and stuff and we just have to press next a couple of times.

Friday, January 19, 2018 11:40 AM
  • Hi Ethan, 

We have the same issue as well. And its annoying. Any development on this? 

Maybe a Kiwi thing? :-)

Cheers

Andy

Monday, January 22, 2018 4:38 AM
  • You'll need to update your deployment share, completely regenerate your boot images, and import the new boot image into WDS.

The new MDT 8450 and ADK 1709 seem to require this, otherwise you'll see this exact issue.

• Proposed as answer by Bongoo Monday, January 22, 2018 2:01 PM
    • Marked as answer by Ty GlanderModerator Tuesday, January 23, 2018 1:40 AM
    Monday, January 22, 2018 9:56 AM

We only have tried one new deployment but this seems to be the solution, thanks!

We already updated our deployment share and completely regenerate the boot images but the only thing we didn't do was adding this new boot image to WDS.

Monday, January 22, 2018 1:54 PM

We only have tried one new deployment but this seems to be the solution, thanks!

We already updated our deployment share and completely regenerate the boot images but the only thing we didn't do was adding this new boot image to WDS.

It's an important step that is often missed - if you don't import the boot image into WDS (or create new media if you're booting from USB) you will still be using the old boot image.  I forgot to do it myself after upgrading this time hence I ran into the same problem.
    Monday, January 22, 2018 3:37 PM
  • Hello,

i have the same issue with MDT 8450.

i didn't have the issue with the last previous MDT release 8443.

it's a new unattended behaviour.

Best regards.

Monday, January 22, 2018 4:46 PM
  • Hello,

i have the same issue with MDT 8450.

i didn't have the issue with the last previous MDT release 8443.

it's a new unattended behaviour.

Best regards.

Have you tried, as above, updating your deployment share, regenerating the boot image, and adding this to WDS (if you use WDS for PXE boot)?
    Monday, January 22, 2018 5:05 PM
  • Yup, this worked. 

I regenerated the images, but not completely regenerate images. 

Did the above and this prompt is no longer an issue. 

Thanks!

Monday, January 22, 2018 5:51 PM
  • Yup, this worked. 

I regenerated the images, but not completely regenerate images. 

Did the above and this prompt is no longer an issue. 

Thanks!

Glad it was helpful.  I always completely regenerate mine when I update the deployment share - the extra 5 minutes for the process to complete is nothing compared to the time wasted tracking down an issue like this, only to result in me completely regenerating them anyway.
    Monday, January 22, 2018 5:58 PM
  • Same here. I had regenerated, but not done the complete regeneration option. Once I did that and updated Windows Deployment Services with the new lite touch boot.wim that fixed the issue. Thanks for the help.
    Tuesday, January 23, 2018 2:14 PM
  • I'm having a similar issue with the Task Sequence Wizard showing up after the OS is installed.  I completely regenerated the boot image and updated WDS.  The catch is this problem occurs intermittently on VMware systems only.  I have no issue with physical systems (desktops or laptops).  And as far as imaging a virtual system, sometimes it works and other times the Task Sequence Wizard comes up and I have to move through it.  This problem only started after upgrading to Windows 10 1709.  And just in case you need this information, we are deploying Windows 7 Enterprise at this time.

Bryan 

Saturday, April 7, 2018 6:30 AM
  • Thank god for you guys, I was making a doody in my pants until i saw this thread.
    Wednesday, July 11, 2018 6:57 PM