none
I found a bug in Power Query. Anyone know why this occurs? RRS feed

• Question

• It took some time to isolate the cause of this.

One of our SharePoint sites couldn't successfully be connected to with Power Query for Excel 2013.  We would receive this message: "DataSource.Error: OData: The feed's metadata document appears to be invalid."

I made a site template and started making copies of the failing site in order to test the cause of the error.

I narrowed it down to 16 lists that, if present on the site, would cause the connection to fail.  Those lists' names were simply numbers.  For example: "1", "2", etc.

I noticed in the Listdata.svc feed for the site that only the choice columns were included in the metadata and not the single line of text column names.  In Listdata.svc, it appends a "c_" in front of the both the list and choice column names if the list name starts with a number.

After many tests I believe I have confirmed you cannot start the name of a list with a number IF you have a choice column in that list.  Anyone know why this is?

• Edited by GMI_DPG Wednesday, July 2, 2014 12:35 AM
    Tuesday, July 1, 2014 8:16 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for reporting this issue. Would you be able to capture some Fiddler traces and send them our way so we can take a closer look at the underlying errors?

Feel free to send them via "Send a Frown" in PQ for privacy.

Thanks,
    M.

Wednesday, July 2, 2014 9:23 PM
  • Hi, 

this post saved me just hours of investigation. We do encounter the same bug and it is exactly producible with the description above!

We have a SharePoint 2010 system with a End of 2014 CU. Do you know if this bug was fixed since then? 

Best regards,

matt

Tuesday, July 21, 2015 4:12 PM
  • Hats off to you, I was having the same issue on a SharePoint 2013 system and was mystified. Had a list with a choice column and was named "2014...". Created a template with content from the list, recreated as "...2014" and deleted old list, problem connecting to the site from Power Query is gone. Nicely done.

Tuesday, July 21, 2015 4:35 PM
  • So great Post , I saved me hours of investigations, I had list starting with numbers 1-, 2-, etc.... removing the numbers solved my issue.

Thanks Again.

Eric Caron

Wednesday, August 5, 2015 9:06 AM
  • GMI_DPG, are you still hitting this?

Ehren

Tuesday, February 23, 2016 8:36 PM
    Owner