Help RRS feed

• Question

• Ok so I and having a domain wide issue. When my users open office they recieve messages such as "WOrd has insufficient memory. DO you want to save Document1 as Rescued document?" and "The file Normal.dotm cannot be opened beacuse there are problems with the contents" . I have run the Microsft fix for this issue that I located from the Knowledge Base. It seems only to temporarily fix the issue because later on in the day the issue returns. ANy help and/or suggestions?
    Friday, December 9, 2011 12:19 AM

Answers

• Ok so it seems that by disabling desktop redirection for the affected users I was able to solve the problem of MS Word erroring. Thanks for your help.
    • Marked as answer by Tony Chen CHN Monday, December 19, 2011 12:59 AM
    Friday, December 16, 2011 3:28 PM

All replies

• "insufficient memory" - I assume that you have a problem with memory. Try turn off most of unused/useless at the moment of start application from msconfig and reboot your PC.

Oskar Shon, Office System MVP

Press if Helpful

Friday, December 9, 2011 7:30 PM
  • Yeah its not that. I have already checked the memory. Yet I still recieve the error  "The file Normal.dotm cannot be opened because there are problems with the contents"...
    Monday, December 12, 2011 6:46 PM
  • A few questions:

1. What version of Office?
    2. Are you mapping the user's directory to a shared drive?
    3. Does the user have full permission to the App Data area?

Kind Regards, Rich ... http://greatcirclelearning.com
    Tuesday, December 13, 2011 1:43 PM
  • A few questions:

1. What version of Office?
    2. Are you mapping the user's directory to a shared drive?
    3. Does the user have full permission to the App Data area?

1. We are using Office 2010 Pro Plus.

2. Users Home directorys are mapped to their on folder on the server. They have full control of the folder.

3. Yes we give the users full control of the App data loation.

Tuesday, December 13, 2011 3:56 PM
  • Kill or remove file: C:\Users\<account>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Templates\Normal.dotm

Word should make a new file.

Oskar Shon, Office System MVP

Press if Helpful

Thursday, December 15, 2011 12:16 PM
  • I have tried that as well with no different results. Still receive the same error message.
    Thursday, December 15, 2011 4:38 PM
  • Have you tried starting Word in safe mode and if so what are the results?

Are you using a work group template and if you are try removing it from the mix.

In your mapping are you using the UNC address or just designating a drive letter?  If you're not mapping to the full UNC, try it and verify the results.

Friday, December 16, 2011 12:49 AM
  • Ok so it seems that by disabling desktop redirection for the affected users I was able to solve the problem of MS Word erroring. Thanks for your help.
    • Marked as answer by Tony Chen CHN Monday, December 19, 2011 12:59 AM
    Friday, December 16, 2011 3:28 PM