Start Menu Not Working After March 2015 Patch Update RRS feed

• Question

• Have two machines both running Windows 10 TP. As of 11 March, the start menu, search and action centre no longer appear to function. This appears to coincide with a patch update issued on the 10th March. One PC remained power up and would have auto-updated overnight and wasn't working this morning. The other was booted up and everything appeared to be working fine until the updates began to install.

I am now unable to open the PC Settings to check for updates and system restore does not appear to have rectified the problem.

Anybody else experienced this issue and know a proven fix without complete re-install?

Wednesday, March 11, 2015 9:47 AM

Answers

• Hi all,

We can now install the latest 10041 build to fix such issue.

regards,

Alex Zhao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, March 25, 2015 10:38 AM

All replies

• No probs here.

Sometimes after reboot my taskbar does not react to mouse clicks.

In such a case it helps on my system to start task manager and end the explorer.exe process. Use File > Run new task: explorer.exe to restart explorer.

Maybe that helps for your case as well?

-- SvenC

Wednesday, March 11, 2015 11:40 AM
  • AL

No problem here but I have seen 5 threads with this issue.  I would start by uninstalling the drivers that were applied one at a time until you find the offending one.  There are known problems with video drivers and at least 3 audio drivers as well

Wanikiya and Dyami--Team Zigzag

Wednesday, March 11, 2015 11:55 AM
  • I had this issue repeatedly - backed off to 8.1, reapplied build 9926. 3 times. also tried sys restore before/after but kept coming back. At one point I thought I'd pinned it down to intel integrated graphics driver, but after a while I ended up broken again. I'm now sat back on windows 8.1 until the next test build
    Wednesday, March 11, 2015 2:22 PM
  • to elaborate, all "modern" apps, including the start bar, settings etc would not launch. errors in event log.. it looked as if it might have come down to a directx dump for me....
    Wednesday, March 11, 2015 2:23 PM
  • Hi All,

Same issue was posted in this thread also:

Start menu disappeared

I installed some updates also and no problems regarding Start Meau usage.

You may try to restart Windows Explorer using Task Manager, or change the Start menu mode under Notification.

If issue insists, please take use of Windows Feedback Tool to submit this.

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, March 12, 2015 10:09 AM
  • Hi all,

We can now install the latest 10041 build to fix such issue.

regards,

Alex Zhao

Wednesday, March 25, 2015 10:38 AM